Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: TMAT II  (Read 16444 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
TMAT II
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »

I see the other thread on this topic got shut down! I'm not trying to start that back up, but would like to get info on the outcome. I was really looking forward to the TMAT and am pretty disappointed in the results I've heard about here. I just want to recap the results I pulled from the previous thread.  Even though I put problem with TMAT below, we don't know if TMAT was the problem in every case, but is perceived to be causing the problem. If something has changed or was found to be something different let us know, and what the fix was.

I'll keep updating the list as people respond, if there is a fix, tell us what was the problem/fix

FR8TRN - Problem with TMAT

Twolanerider  - Problem with TMAT, problem fixed

Tallyclassic - Had a problem, OK now

SCRM-R - Problem with TMAT  Problem resolved, went to a tuner, not running any O2 sensors.

Rhino - OK, no problem

Pete_4854 - Problem with TMAT, Fixed???

Eqcons - Problem with TMAT

JMACK - Problem with TMAT

Ironhorse - Problem with TMAT

BayouBiker - OK, no problem

TNFatboy - OK, no problem

RDJ RoadKing - Problem with TMAT, Ok now

nixobilly - OK, no problem

sadunbar - OK, no problem 

hdfr120 - OK, no problem

Cerdo - OK, no problem 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:09:58 AM by Talon »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: TMAT II
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:27:26 PM »

I thought Pete_4854 went to Joes Cycle in NY and got it tuned there and has no issues???   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:41:08 PM »

I'm scheduled to have mine tuned on Friday of this week (detonation problems)...keeping my fingers crossed.  I'll post back here with the results, but it will be early next week.  I have to ride about 225 miles to the tuner, and I'm going on down to spend the weekend with my brother while I am down there.  But it will be a good test of the tune on the way back Sunday evening.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »

No problems with mine yet.......

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »

I see the other thread on this topic got shut down! I'm not trying to start that back up, but would like to get info on the outcome. I was really looking forward to the TMAT and am pretty disappointed in the results I've heard about here. I just want to recap the results I pulled from the previous thread.  Even though I put problem with TMAT below, we don't know if TMAT was the problem in every case, but is perceived to be causing the problem. If something has changed or was found to be something different let us know, and what the fix was.

2LR - Problem with TMAT

SCRM-R - Problem with TMAT

Rhino - OK, no problem

Pete_4854 - Problem with TMAT

RDJ RoadKing - Problem with TMAT

4500 miles on TMAT with no problems... (no leaking head gasket....yet... and no rocker box clearance problems)

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:35:21 PM »

I'll keep updating the list as people respond, if there is a fix, tell us what was the problem/fix

2LR - Problem with TMAT

SCRM-R - Problem with TMAT

Rhino - OK, no problem

Pete_4854 - Problem with TMAT, Fixed???

RDJ RoadKing - Problem with TMAT

nixobilly - OK, no problem

5,000 miles and no problem with TMAT.

If you are willing to learn to use the Smartlink IV software to make adjustments for your particular application, your potential for success and satisfaction increases significantly.  Unless you use a very conservative tune, it is unlikely that you will be able to install and let the AT make all future adjustments.  We have seen that the high ambient temps of summer are beyond the AT capabilities when it is tuned for maximuim performance.  Higher ambient temps will most likely require less aggressive timing settings and increased AFRs to manage detonation.  This remains a challenge for any tuning device including the SERT or PC.  My experience is that the TMAT is easier for me to make adjustments and that the closed loop monitoring has eliminated the need for follow on dyno sessions.  It is not the end all, but I think it is a very powerful tool and as good as anything currently available for our bikes.

Rhino from this site and jshepherd from the VTF are both very competent and more than willing to provide assistance to TMAT users.

Check out the VTF (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93157) for more information and a larger group of users than you will find here alone.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:01:15 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 08:35:04 PM »

Sadunbar, nixobilly, and hdfr120, what kind of build did you have? Was there a map that was close to your setup?

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:12 PM »

Sadunbar, nixobilly, and hdfr120, what kind of build did you have? Was there a map that was close to your setup?

I have a Zipper's 120" and they developed the map back in February for this specific build.  I have still had to tweak it for the increased high ambient temps. When things cool down to normal (below 80F), I'll go back to my more aggressive map.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »

I have a Zipper's 120" build with D&D Fatcats and performance baffle.  Since I had Joe's Cycle tune my bike, I have had no problems with the TMAT running in open loop.  I have had issues when changing over to closed loop operation, however, I have had other problems not related to TMAT that would effect it's performance (i.e. cracked Reinhart exhaust, broken insulator on spark plug) that would effect the way the AT feature operates.  Being extremely happy with my tune (i.e. no detonation issues, no decel pop, starts immediately, excellent performance) I really don't see a need to use the closed loop feature.  I was going to ask Zipper's to send me a TMAT w/o AT and get a credit, but my tuner told me to keep it as he believes the "bugs" will be worked out and that he would personally keep me informed of any changes I should make.  I have a lot of confidence in Joe and am following his advice.  I want to emphasize that there is no substitute for a custom tune no matter what ECM you select.  If I were asked for a recommendation, I would recommend the TMAT w/o AT if you can find someone who can tune with it.  I had that benefit.  Otherwise, go with a SERT or PC, but don't dismiss the importance of a custom dyno tune, particularly if you have made modifications from stock.  JMHO. 
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »

Thanks Pete, I'm looking at this from the AT aspect. I know you need to be close, the TMAT isn't magic, people are paying $700-800 dollars for a ECU that was advertised to get you away from the dyno and the expense. The TM may be a good ECU, but I can get a SERT and dyno for about the same price as the TMAT, or just go TM and a tune. It was the idea that you could save money during future changes by downloading new maps and letting the AT feature pretty much take care of the rest, maybe some fine tuning might be needed, but no dyno or pro tuner. Glad you bike is running good for you now.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 06:45:13 AM »

Thanks Pete, I'm looking at this from the AT aspect. I know you need to be close, the TMAT isn't magic, people are paying $700-800 dollars for a ECU that was advertised to get you away from the dyno and the expense. The TM may be a good ECU, but I can get a SERT and dyno for about the same price as the TMAT, or just go TM and a tune. It was the idea that you could save money during future changes by downloading new maps and letting the AT feature pretty much take care of the rest, maybe some fine tuning might be needed, but no dyno or pro tuner. Glad you bike is running good for you now.

Understand.  I too believed I would have a "plug and play" with the AT, particularly since I bought their 120 package including exhaust with map to match.  However, during the dyno testing to obtain best performance results, base settings had to be changed.  I am going to engage the AT feature to test now that all the other unrelated issues have been resolved as I do believe in the system, however, if it doesn't work, I know I have a good base map to go back to.  I believe the systems capabilities have been oversold, but it has many features I like (i.e. access to monitor/record data) and it is the future.  Like everything else that is cutting edge, there are growing pains.  I am happy and I'm glad many others are as well.  I do feel for those who have had problems, but it hasn't been determined if the TMAX is the sole culprit.  I suspect there are other issues just as there were with mine.  I caution all not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Good luck with your bike!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 08:56:52 AM »

My motor is stock - Rinehart Tru Duals and Ness Big Sucker a/c.  I use base map 377, but have modified it in an effort to gain fuel mileage without causing heat to return.  I currently am getting 38 mpg riding two up and 35 mpg towing my Bushtec trailer - typically running 75 to 78 mph.  With 90 ambient air temperature, riding two up my oil temp is 215 - and when pulling my Bushtec my oil temp is 230 (dash mounted temperature gage with the thermocouple located in the oil pan).  Head Temperature is predominently in the 200-220 range.

I have significantly modified the A/F ratios and slightly modifed the timing.  I have made numerous adjustments trying to gain mileage without losing power or generating excessive heat.  You really have to pay attention to the effects of each change so you don't end up in left field, and it is important to save every change with a new file name so you can back up if necessary.  I have also learned is how important it is to clear all learned offsets with each change.  The bike starts great and runs great.  I don't know what hp and torque numbers are, but I can outrun my buddies with 95, 96 and 103 motors  - all with similiar modifications to mine (pipes, a/c and either a sert, power commander or tmat).  For a touring bike that sees lots of "trip" miles vs. around town miles - it does just what I want it to.  The only change I would like to make that I can't (at least I don't know how to - can't may not be the right word) is to modify both the AFR's and timing on deceleration.

I enjoy tinkering and turning wrenches, so a tool like the TMAT is right down my alley.  I have used Power Commanders with good results in the past also - nothing bad at all to say about that product either.  I like the technology of the TMAT, even though I am sure it is in its infancy development wise.  I suspect in the future, all EFI systems will work in conjunction with some type of real time feedback - and someday the current TMAT technology will look like a relic.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rhino

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 08:51:52 PM »

Wait for me ladies...   I have a tmat, 575 cams, zippers tapered pr's, rinehart TD's w performance baffles, zippers 2.75 filter, a wide open a/c cover, and some other secret sauces.
Runs exceptionally well and much cooler than stock, and lifts the front wheel 1-2  and 2-3....  and yes, I do help that event a little.

Rhino(understandingtmatinmanylanguages)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

As most of you know I am a very big supporter of Zippers and their products. I have a 113 motor and the Thunder Max w/o auto tune. I have yet to have any issues at all with the unit or with Zippers. I am going to install the auto tune in the near future and will keep everyone posted.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »

As most of you know I am a very big supporter of Zippers and their products. I have a 113 motor and the Thunder Max w/o auto tune. I have yet to have any issues at all with the unit or with Zippers. I am going to install the auto tune in the near future and will keep everyone posted.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg

You been threatening to add auto tune for the past year!
"V" must really have you busy!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 21 queries.