Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Direct Link Race Performance Tuning Kit  (Read 14777 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Direct Link Race Performance Tuning Kit
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:23:41 PM »

Has anyone ever seen this?  http://www.technoresearch.com/

Their Direct Link works just like a SERT, but the tuner does not have to purchase a new interface every time...at least not the entire box, just a new "key" for each bike they tune, which is a cheaper alternative to either the PCIII or a new SERT. 

Some shops are using this tuning tool now, with excellent results, as it reprograms your existing ECM, just like the SERT.

Here's a link to a shop that is using this:  http://www.johnsonenginetechnology.com/   ...many more are listed on the technoresearch site by state.  There's even one place in Alabama!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
Re: Direct Link Race Performance Tuning Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:38:35 PM »

TC;
I suspect the Direct Link is an expensive system intended for dealers/tuners, not individual owners. However, what about their RapidBikeIII add-on ECM?

leoniru

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:47:30 PM »

TC;
I suspect the Direct Link is an expensive system intended for dealers/tuners, not individual owners. However, what about their RapidBikeIII add-on ECM?

leoniru

I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out exactly what it's all about.  Builder not far from here has the Direct Link....there's a good chance this company writes and/or manufactures the SERT.

TTS Mastertune

Vosselman (NL - Europe)

• Junior CVO Member
    • Vosselman Performance
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 02:58:39 AM »

DirectLink is a dealer oriented product (or group of friends, clubs etc) and can handle Buell, Magneti Marelli (also Ducatie and some others) and HD -Delphi in the Pro version.
Dealer buys the software. Customer needs to buy the hardwarekey to get access to the ecm.
The hardwarekey is less expensive than the racetuner. With both products you have to visit a dyno to get best results.
DirectLink has a built in view screen for engine parameters = no switching between two programs = easier and quicker
Very little chance of communication problems between software and the ecm. RT is known to cause communication problems.

(there are more differences, but I don't want to make this reply a advertisement)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »

DirectLink is a dealer oriented product (or group of friends, clubs etc) and can handle Buell, Magneti Marelli (also Ducatie and some others) and HD -Delphi in the Pro version.
Dealer buys the software. Customer needs to buy the hardwarekey to get access to the ecm.
The hardwarekey is less expensive than the racetuner. With both products you have to visit a dyno to get best results.
DirectLink has a built in view screen for engine parameters = no switching between two programs = easier and quicker
Very little chance of communication problems between software and the ecm. RT is known to cause communication problems.

(there are more differences, but I don't want to make this reply a advertisement)

V...please expand on your knowledge of this product.  I am very interested in knowing more about this system, as it seems a great solution to a permanent tune for the actual ECM without having to go the route of the SERT.  I have been told to get the most effective tune, it is best to weld bungs in the headers so you do not get any backflow interfereing with the readings from the A/F sniffers, thus a more precise tune, then plugging the bungs when the tune is completed.  Or, do you use the normal sniffer stuck up the exhaust pipe?  Most SERT's have to be tuned at HD dealers, and most HD dealers do not have reliable tuners, it seems.  Also, if you can, explain the differences or advantages of this system compared to the Power Commander.  Thanks for your contributions!!

Rednectum...I know you are familiar with this system as well, so anything you can add would be appreciated as well.

TTS Mastertune

Vosselman (NL - Europe)

• Junior CVO Member
    • Vosselman Performance
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:22:41 AM »

My knowledge: we are european distributor, partner and testcenter for directlink.
We don't use tubing stuck up the exhaust pipe. Nice for a quick view, but does not work for real tuning. Welding bungs or some other kind of connection in the headers a couple of inches from the exhaustports is the best.

The biggest differences compaired to powercommander
- With DirectLink you reprogram the stock ECU instead of changing signals with an add-on device (powercommander).
- With DirectLink you can still use the stock 02 sensors on the 07 models for closed loop. (BIG ADVANTAGE!)

With DirectLink you can change:
AFR and Ignition timing for front and rear cilinder individual
AFR (load based), a change in afr when the load on the engine changes
Cranking Fuel
Idle RPM
Intake Air Control
Accel en Decel fuel
Closed Loop AFR (you can make the engine run richer and still use the 02 sensors)
Warmup fuel
Knock sensor on/off
Rev Limiter
Enable/Disable Automatic decompression valves
Enable/Disable the use of the exhaust valve and/or inlet valve on HDI models

For a tuner there should be no difference tuning with DirectLink, Racetuner or PowerCommander IF they are willing to spend some time to learn the system.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 08:44:21 AM »

So, very much like the SERT...perhaps better because of the communication interface?  And the key is less expensive than buying a SERT...just buy a new key for each bike you own.  Keys are about $250-$300, if I'm not mistaken.  Again, one is dependent on a good tuner, and if you don't have the bungs in the headers, there would be the expense of installing those, but it sounds like the potential is there for a better tune.  Also, the advantage over the PCIII is that if the PC fails, the ECM cannot properly control the engine, and like the SERT, this system does not present that potential issue.

I know someone who is going to have this done, so will be very interested in the results.

Thanks for your explanation!!

TTS Mastertune

Vosselman (NL - Europe)

• Junior CVO Member
    • Vosselman Performance
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »

'and if you don't have the bungs in the headers, there would be the expense of installing those'
Yes, but you need that with all products. PC, RT and DL

'I know someone who is going to have this done, so will be very interested in the results.'
Do they have experience with DirectLink?

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »

Keep us posted, sounds like a good system.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 10:06:46 AM »

'and if you don't have the bungs in the headers, there would be the expense of installing those'
Yes, but you need that with all products. PC, RT and DL

'I know someone who is going to have this done, so will be very interested in the results.'
Do they have experience with DirectLink?

I think most tuners do NOT install the bungs in the headers for tuning...they use the long copper "sniffer" and run it through the muffler and into the header pipe as far as they can get it.  That has been my observation, at least.  On systems with true duals, they tune each cylinder individually, but still use the copper tube method and do not install bungs (on pre '07 models).

Is Direct Link able to tune '08 models at this time?  Are they developing the interface to do so?

The company doing the tune for the individual on this site does have extensive experience with Direct Link, is installing the bungs, and performing the tune by taking the appropriate measures to ensure an accurate tune.  I anxiously await the results...

TTS Mastertune

Vosselman (NL - Europe)

• Junior CVO Member
    • Vosselman Performance
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »

I know most tuners use copper tubes. We did it in the past also. But it's far from perfect.
There are other options without having to take the exhaust off and weld the bungs.

The '08 models have just been released. Not many out yet.
The work is started to get the software compatible. But I don't expect that we will have a solution before September/October.
It need's to be tested first.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »

I know most tuners use copper tubes. We did it in the past also. But it's far from perfect.
There are other options without having to take the exhaust off and weld the bungs.

The '08 models have just been released. Not many out yet.
The work is started to get the software compatible. But I don't expect that we will have a solution before September/October.
It need's to be tested first.

If you don't mind, please explain alternative methods.  I understand that unless you can get a sniffer within a few inches of the exhaust port, there are problems with false readings from the sniffer because of air being sucked back into the pipe through the reversion process, giving a false A/F reading.

TTS Mastertune

Vosselman (NL - Europe)

• Junior CVO Member
    • Vosselman Performance
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:27 AM »

Find threaded inserts (M6-M8-M10), drill a hole in the exhaust, put in the insert.
Use whatever connector you like between the insert and the afr sensor.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »

Find threaded inserts (M6-M8-M10), drill a hole in the exhaust, put in the insert.
Use whatever connector you like between the insert and the afr sensor.

You are speaking of a self tapping insert?  Or drill the hole, tap the pipe, then screw the insert into the pipe?  I am not familiar with this product.  Can you do this without removing the pipes?

I do not mean to be a pest on this subject, just trying to learn.   :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

Vosselman (NL - Europe)

• Junior CVO Member
    • Vosselman Performance
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 10:52:01 AM »

I don't know the english name for them. These are inserts with thread on the inside.
You put them into the exhaust and than with a special tool you squeeze (?) them. This way they will stay in place. You can close them after use by using a normal bolt with cupper washer.
You only have to take of the heatshields. Everything is covered when mounting the heatshields again after tuning.

The upper right one.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.