Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Mrs. We's down time file  (Read 16580 times)

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
Re: Mrs. We's down time file
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »

My SEEG has 45K on it w/ the original tensioners still in there.....I'm pushing my luck, but from what I'm hearing, some wear out very early  and others are showing minimal wear when pulled at these upper mileages.......I've never heard that mileage figure before to check them. Keep us informed on the progress and we'll be pulling for you both.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

When I get mine done, I'll post pics of the wear and/or damage!  :vrolijk27:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 03:30:48 PM »

Sorry about all the troubles. I hope the fix it soon and you both are back on the road quickly.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »

Jamey,

It was told to me to have the chain tensioners checked / replaced at 20k not 30k.   I am not sure what the Harley Manual says about it, but I would make sure if your not going to go gear drives or make changes for some time that you have yours changed immediately :)

Opie was supposed to check the runout for you before he does anything, to be sure the crank wasn't harmed and isnt out of tolerance.

Glad to hear the warranty company authorized the repair and things are in the works.   Hopefully in 2 weeks Candy and you will be out riding.   BTW if you got the roadking fixed you guys could be riding right now  :huepfenlol2:
I surely hope that is just a sensor failing when it gets hot.   

One thing is for sure when Opie gets done with your bike it will be done correctly.   I am very happy to hear they are taking good care of you the way people should be taken care of.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »

I'm just glad that they're fixing her bike under warranty and didn't try to pull some BS!  You should talk to them about any modifications that you want since now's the time to do them since it's already apart.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hogasm

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »

I talked to Mr and Mrs We last night. Opie has the go ahead to rebuild the motor to STOCK. NO UPGRADES

Howie, there goes the timkin bearing upgrade.
Me, the crank was destroyed, so run out doesn't come into play. So they will have to wait till the motor is assembled to go to gear drives.
Everyone else with over 20,000 miles.....run as quick as you can to check those shoes.....if you don't have extended warranty.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 05:41:30 PM »

ErnieZap,  Sorry FiredOOd I looked at the picture of the pumpkin and posted :(

The issue is that while it is Mrs. We's bike, the customer is actually the warranty company and they can not swap the parts out.   If after it is put back together if Candy wants to do upgrades or change cam's they are happy to do so, but they will not alter the agreement made with the warranty company.  I didn't ask why not, but as long as Candy and Jamey are happy it really doesn't matter. 

In either case she will have a nicely refreshed motor that should run good and if she desires to upgrade to gear drive she can, but Candy said she was going to put 10 - 15k miles on the bike and enjoy it and then make decisions from there.    Candy if I misquoted you please correct me.

-harry
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:28:31 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 05:53:22 PM »

Fired00d,

The issue is that while it is Mrs. We's bike, the customer is actually the warranty company and they can not swap the parts out.   If after it is put back together if Candy wants to do upgrades or change cam's they are happy to do so, but they will not alter the agreement made with the warranty company.  I didn't ask why not, but as long as Candy and Jamey are happy it really doesn't matter. 

In either case she will have a nicely refreshed motor that should run good and if she desires to upgrade to gear drive she can, but Candy said she was going to put 10 - 15k miles on the bike and enjoy it and then make decisions from there.    Candy if I misquoted you please correct me.

-harry
Harry,
Am I on your mind, or are you loosing it?? ;) ;D I haven't posted in this thread.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 06:07:54 PM »

Well, the guys at Davis HD have gotten with the extended warranty folks and the decision was made to rebuild the engine. They told us that the only piece that will remain is the our case, all the innerds will be replaced and put together by Opie. We feel pretty good about that, we think that Opie stands a much better chance of building a motor correctly than an assembly line does. So we are waiting.

Candy got word yesterday that the parts are actually ordered, so the anticipation starts. We are trying to remain calm and patient. But it is riding season, and every sumbi!ch with a bike within a 100 mile radius of us parades up and down our little two lane twisty all dang weekend! Deep breaths… we’ll be OK.

On the upside, we really appreciate all the support of our friends, from the gifts at Nelson, to the phone call updates and advice from our cyberspace family, ya’ll are the best!  :2vrolijk_21:  :drink: :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

Candy has reservations about another big ride like that, I am just trying to turn them into hotel reservations.  :cherry:

I quote you just to keep this from being hijacked- Jamie- Was candy's bike engine Stock? meaning what if any upgrades where done?

I Glad they are rebuilding it under warranty and this information is just for me as far as the upgrades go. If you go to the HD Web site or the service manual there is no schedule for checking the innards only for top end rebuild or lower rebuild time lines.

Your only choice now is to get the bike back running in order to ride it or sell or trade it as long as it's in boxes it's junk.

Good luck and if you need help getting it home let us know lynette's folks live 1/2  mile from Davis HD and we can give you a hand if you need it.

Wayne

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 07:07:17 PM »

Well Jamey and Candy it sounds like they have everything under as much control as can be had. Good luck and hopefully you two will be in the wind soon. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 07:53:39 PM »

Harry,
Am I on your mind, or are you loosing it?? ;) ;D I haven't posted in this thread.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

GARY
It seems that Harry has lost it. :o I think it was Ernies post (orange bike) that made him think it was you. I will be seeing him next week and will have him checked.  :huepfenlol2: Sorry he alarmed you. ::)
Candy
Best of luck to you on your re-build. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:57:13 PM by Gettinold »
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 08:08:33 PM »

If there's any sunshine in this story it's this. Had all of the aforementioned parts been worn to within a micromilimeter of breaking, you wouldn't be getting a dime from you extended warranty. BUT because everything chit the bed, you get a free rebuild. I am very sorry that the ride of a lifetime turned into at least partially a tale of woe, but in the end, Candy gets a new motor for the Cherry Bomb AND one with hydraulic 06 and up style cam chain tensioners so she need not worry about that next ride until there's at least 40k on the new motor. It's like life you know, there's good and bad in everything. Thanks for letting us know the skinny and we'll be looking forward to reading that Candy's got her knees in the breeze soon.

B B

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 08:23:11 PM »

If they are in fact replacing everything but the cases, I don't see why they couldn't use the new style cam plate/cams/tensioner's/roller chain/oil pump.  I seriously doubt the parts cost would be much different, and the labor cost is the same.  While still not totally proven versus a gear drive setup, I fully believe the new chain system will be much more reliable than the POS original system. 

It's a damn shame the MoCo is getting away with not addressing this ticking time bomb in the earlier Twin Cams.  IMHO, a reputable organization would at the very least extend the warranty like they did on the '99 cam bearings.  And the fact that they still do not publicly acknowledge this issue, and still do not have an official maintenance/inspection interval, is totally ludicrous.

One of the things I have on my list of things to do this fall; replace the tensioner's and check the oil pump.  The bike will have less than 20k miles at that time, and based on recent changes in the behavior of the oil pressure gauge I'm expecting to find chunks missing from the tensioner's at the very least (acts like the bypass valve is sticking a little, or could just be a sticky sending unit).  One thing I do know, if mine blows Harley will be given an opportunity to make it right (out of warranty, but as far as I'm concerned it's still their responsibility).  If they decide to blow me off, I'll fix it myself with aftermarket parts.  Maybe I'm just a hardheaded old fool, but I'd rather scrap the bike before I'd let them make any additional profit while I fix their screwup.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 08:29:41 PM »

GARY
It seems that Harry has lost it. :o I think it was Ernies post (orange bike) that made him think it was you. I will be seeing him next week and will have him checked.  :huepfenlol2: Sorry he alarmed you. ::)
Candy
Best of luck to you on your re-build. :2vrolijk_21:
Dave,
I couldn't resist the opportunity to give him the business. ;) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 08:32:19 PM »

GARY
It seems that Harry has lost it. :

BOY, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed!
Wonder what book he left it in?
 :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »

Was in a local indie shop last week and he had FOUR bikes torn down, all under 20,000 miles, and all had cam chain tensioner problems.  Three were worn down to nothing, and one had a chunk broken off of it.  Out of the four, only one owner decided to go back with gear drive cams...the other three wanted to keep it stock.  Dumbasses :confused5:
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 21 queries.