Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: PCIII Map Needed for Rush Slip-Ons  (Read 7413 times)

rainierexpress

• Wherever you go, there you are

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Softail Springer
PCIII Map Needed for Rush Slip-Ons
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:47:02 PM »

I'm getting a PCIII and Rush Slip-ons for my 08 FXSTSSE2. It seems quite a few folks on this board have that setup, so I'm wondering what map you are using. Is there a canned map out there, or did you have the bike dyno'd? Thanks for your help.
2008 CVO Softail Springer
Anniversary Colors
Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-2
ThunderMax with Autotune
Blenn-Air Oil Cooler
Ness 3" Forward Control Extension

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
Re: PCIII Map Needed for Rush Slip-Ons
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

I have the Rush slip ons and didn't need any extra work done when they were installed.  They told me my 08 already had the program that would adapt to them. 
Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:58:30 AM »

Marie,

if you got anything bigger than 1.75 baffles in your Rush slip-on's then you need some kind of fuel management device.......
and even if you got the 1.75's, it STILL would benefit the bike to use some kind of fuel management device.

remember, all HD motors are tuned lery lean from the factory, and since the CVO Springer already has a high flow air filter installed, changing anything in the factory exhaust will make you run even leaner!

do yourself a favor and get a PCIII, SERT, fuel pak or SOMETHING before you burn a hole in a piston!
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 08:59:47 AM »

I'm getting a PCIII and Rush Slip-ons for my 08 FXSTSSE2. It seems quite a few folks on this board have that setup, so I'm wondering what map you are using. Is there a canned map out there, or did you have the bike dyno'd? Thanks for your help.

I believe the PCIII has a canned map that will work just fine.

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:13:38 AM »

Marie,

if you got anything bigger than 1.75 baffles in your Rush slip-on's then you need some kind of fuel management device.......
and even if you got the 1.75's, it STILL would benefit the bike to use some kind of fuel management device.

remember, all HD motors are tuned lery lean from the factory, and since the CVO Springer already has a high flow air filter installed, changing anything in the factory exhaust will make you run even leaner!

do yourself a favor and get a PCIII, SERT, fuel pak or SOMETHING before you burn a hole in a piston!

Hey Deuce,

I will check tomorrow.  I will be furious if I have been risking the mechanics of the new bike because of a sloppy shortcut.

Marie

bossman

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Autumn Haze & High Octane Orange
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Copper & Black Onyx
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »

I just dropped off my bike for first service and the Rush slip-on's and they are using a race tuner. I asked about adding a oil cooler because of hearing people complane about how hot they run. They told me to wait, because after they run the new program on the bike they will have the lean spot adjusted out of it and that in it self will make it run cooler. I hope thats thew case. Time will tell but they would not change exhaust with out it.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 05:53:30 PM »

the SERT map will make it run cooler, but an oil cooler couldn't hurt......... :2vrolijk_21:

rainierexpress

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:11 PM »

Just as an update, I bought the Rush slip-ons and PCIII from Fuelmoto. They actually preload the correct map on the PCIII for you. I'm going to install them this weekend.
Anniversary Colors
ThunderMax with Autotune
Blenn-Air Oil Cooler

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:38:30 AM »

Marie,

Hi Deuce,

I called the dealership today and told the service guy what you said.  He paused and pondered and then admitted the bike MAY run better by adding the power commander.  He asked me how the bike was running and I told him I didn't really know.  My only comparison is my old 98 Sportster 1200.  He said he will have someone ride it and give me an opinion, but will also install the powercommander.

How do I know when I am being ripped off when it is so easy to get them to change their minds?  For all I know, they didn't have the power commander in stock when they installed the Rush slip ons.  Or, maybe I don't really need one now, but they are willing to take my money because they do have it in stock.

I am going to get it installed because I don't want any problems.  It sure seems as though I am expected to be the expert, however.

Marie

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 02:06:07 PM »

If I were you, I would go to a different dealer........ :'(
at the very least they should have been trying to sell you a SERT when you got the new slip-on's installed.

the HD dealers around here push the SERT because it's an HD product, and that's what they get their tech's trained to use.

if they don't know that installing slip-ons with a 2.25" baffle will make you leaner, then it's time to find another dealer to do your work. ;)

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 11:24:55 PM »

Hi Deuce,

I called the dealership today and told the service guy what you said.  He paused and pondered and then admitted the bike MAY run better by adding the power commander.  He asked me how the bike was running and I told him I didn't really know.  My only comparison is my old 98 Sportster 1200.  He said he will have someone ride it and give me an opinion, but will also install the powercommander.

How do I know when I am being ripped off when it is so easy to get them to change their minds?  For all I know, they didn't have the power commander in stock when they installed the Rush slip ons.  Or, maybe I don't really need one now, but they are willing to take my money because they do have it in stock.

I am going to get it installed because I don't want any problems.  It sure seems as though I am expected to be the expert, however.

Marie

Hold on a minute. The service person sounds like he is being entirely reasonable so far. Some one on a forum, who you do not know, and who does not work in the motorcycle service industry told you that if you have larger than 1.75" baffles, then you need a fuel management system. All due respects to Duece (and you seem to be a good guy), there was no documentation provided to support that claim. Furthermore, we still don't even know what size your baffles are!

Why not have the dealer check out your exhaust gas readings at idle and under load. In other words, put it on the dyno. I'm no expert, but it seems like the dealer is keeping an open mind. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 12:09:56 AM »

Deuce is correct.  They are 2.25 inch baffles.  I guess I will just figure it out tomorrow when I take it in for service.  I am going to ask them to put it on the dyno.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:11:29 AM by Smokin' Jacket »

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 01:14:17 AM »

Hold on a minute. The service person sounds like he is being entirely reasonable so far. Some one on a forum, who you do not know, and who does not work in the motorcycle service industry told you that if you have larger than 1.75" baffles, then you need a fuel management system. All due respects to Duece (and you seem to be a good guy), there was no documentation provided to support that claim. Furthermore, we still don't even know what size your baffles are!

Why not have the dealer check out your exhaust gas readings at idle and under load. In other words, put it on the dyno. I'm no expert, but it seems like the dealer is keeping an open mind. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

you're absolutely right.
don't take my word for it.

after all, you don't know me or my background...
just read up on the subject in the Intake/ exhaust section.
also checkout some other HD forums too, and read what other members have experienced.

all I do know, from all of the reading and my personal experience, is that if it were MY bike I would have a fuel management system on it.
and I do have a fuel management system on my SE Springer.
I installed the Thundermax with autotune as soon as I got the bike home.

I can't blame you and no insult was taken.  :bananarock:

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 09:25:02 AM »

Yes, and I have one on my bike too, and I've done very little in terms of mods. A fuel management system is something I wanted, I just didn't want her to think the dealer was deliberately trying to put something over on her. In fact, most dealers are more than happy to take your money for a SERT.

rainierexpress

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »

I installed the Rush slip-ons (2.25" baffles) and the PCIII with the map as supplied from Fuel Moto. I think it is still running lean and hot. I am getting pops on deceleration and shifting, a sure sign of a lean mixture. I'm going to get the bike dyno tuned within the next couple of weeks. When I made my dyno appointment, I talked to the mechanic about the heating issue we all seem to be having. This shop is not a HD dealer, but he is an authorized Power Commander tuner and his shop has a very good reputation in my area. He said that dyno tuning is a good idea regardless of your setup (I would expect him to say this since that is his job, but I trust his opinion based on his reputation). The bikes come from the factory quite lean, and there are so many factors that affect tuning, that any pre-loaded map, like the one I have from Fuel Moto, is basically just a starting point. He also highly recommended an oil cooler on the 110b engines. They just run hotter and depending on the riding conditions and air temperature, it is not uncommon to see oil temps above 240 degrees F. I have an oil cooler from a small outfit called Blenn Air (www.blenn-air.com). I like this a lot better than the MoCo option, and it really works well. It's also easy to install and looks much better than the MoCo oil cooler. Downside is that it is many more $ than the MoCo version, but I feel it is worth it.

Bottom line is get a fuel management computer, get a dyno tune, and get an oil cooler, then relax and ride!
Anniversary Colors
ThunderMax with Autotune
Blenn-Air Oil Cooler

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 01:05:30 AM »

Thanks, everybody.  I took the bike in this morning and had a long talk with an experienced service tech.  He went through the pros and cons with the PCIII vs. the Race Tuner.  The only pro he had for the PCIII was the price.   All in, it seems the difference will be $250 more for the Race Tuner.  I think I understood the total to be about $1,000. for the software, dyno and the installation.  Does that sound right?

These boards are really informing me.  Thanks for all of the input.  Tell me more!

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 08:52:18 AM »

Well, what was the outcome? Tuner or no tuner? As I recall, your dealer originally said you could get by with no tuner, but you had your doubts.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 09:43:05 PM »

bump
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.