Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: after the install of the recall upgrade kit on a 110 CVO  (Read 15334 times)

art2001

after the install of the recall upgrade kit on a 110 CVO
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »

I had the engine upgrade kit installed and have put about 500 miles. I now have a ticking coming from the top end, have been back to the dealer 3 times. Each time they have a different answer   1) I wasn't riding the bike right (not keeping the engine at right RPM levels). Checked the manual (no reference to RPM level but recommended shift speeds per gear)   2) Took manual to dealer and they said the manual is wrong. So I rode per manual and never got over 2600 RPM, dealer says engine should be driven and shifted at 3000 to 3500 RPM. So I rode to their specs and never got out of 3rd gear until over 50 MPH. I'm not riding a two-stroke dirt bike but a Touring bike. On the freeway the speed limit is 60 MPH and shifting into 4th gear takes the RPM's to 2500.   3) Had mechanic who did engine upgrade ride bike and he said he didn't hear anything but maybe a transmission whine. I round tripped this bike to Sturgis and never had this ticking sound and as a truck driver for over 30 years I know when there is a change in sound to an engine.     

Has anyone else experienced this??
02 FLSTCI
07 FLHTCUSE2

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: after the install of the recall upgrade kit on a 110 CVO
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »

Mine has the ticking sound around 2800 rpm and I haven't had the upgrade done yet.
I'm hoping the tick will be gone after the upgrade.... Will probably have the "upgrade" done late next month.

I had a dealer tell me the ticking was normal..... so I found another dealer  ;)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »

Art, I sent you a PM about the registry. What month was your bike produced? Mine was made 11/20/06 and the original rocker boxes needed to be clearenced to eliminate the valve springs from hitting. You are saying that the sound has only happened after the 0905 "fix"?

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:56:41 AM »

Had the Enhancement Upgrade done about five weeks ago...one week later my 2008 SEUC quit after pulling out of a different HD Shop....took two days to find that one of the wires coming off one of the ACRs had shorted out on the head and was blowing the ECM master fuse....fixed.  One week later to the day I rode up to Gettysburg and realized I had no headlight and no tail lights....

Rode down to HD Shop yesterday morning, real cold out in western Maryland, of course the heated grips stopped working at the end of my driveway!!!!

Dealership found that the light relay had come up plugged, easy fix.  Took several hours to fix the heated grips.  Had to replace them..

Seems like once a scoot is broken down, gremlins get into it when they put it back together!!!  Rode home yesterday afternoon, all seems to be working fine....

After getting the enhancement done...put some miles on your scoot before planning a long trip...get the gremlins out first!!!!!

napalm
napalm

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 08:03:28 AM »

Had the Enhancement Upgrade done about five weeks ago...one week later my 2008 SEUC quit after pulling out of a different HD Shop....took two days to find that one of the wires coming off one of the ACRs had shorted out on the head and was blowing the ECM master fuse....fixed.  One week later to the day I rode up to Gettysburg and realized I had no headlight and no tail lights....

Rode down to HD Shop yesterday morning, real cold out in western Maryland, of course the heated grips stopped working at the end of my driveway!!!!

Dealership found that the light relay had come up plugged, easy fix.  Took several hours to fix the heated grips.  Had to replace them..

Seems like once a scoot is broken down, gremlins get into it when they put it back together!!!  Rode home yesterday afternoon, all seems to be working fine....

After getting the enhancement done...put some miles on your scoot before planning a long trip...get the gremlins out first!!!!!

napalm

sounding like you might be close to using napalm on your bike.....LOL
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

RedBone

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE Copper Canyon
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 08:44:27 AM »

Had my upgrade done and the top is quieter then it has ever been and more balls less vibration all appears better so far :apple: :cucumber: :)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »

My top end made noise new (dealer at the time said there was "definitely an unusual noise").  They ground out the rocker boxes and the noise continued as bad or worse than before.  Now they say it is normal.  That's how it is with HD - if they can't or don't want to fix something - - it becomes normal.

I wish you luck, you will probably be chasing this for a long time to come.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 02:25:28 PM »

mine is enhanced but.............this is what i woke to 2day, hope it all melts so i can go pick it up,

wife spoke to mech after the job, he said top end was all black n crusty, the leak from lower rear was caused by oring not seating correctly, (maybe that was caused when the other dealer fitted the head gaskets as it only started leaking from there afterwards) the new square oring was a pain in the a$$ to put it, he needed 6 hands to keep it in place..

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »

I had the engine upgrade kit installed and have put about 500 miles. I now have a ticking coming from the top end, have been back to the dealer 3 times. Each time they have a different answer   1) I wasn't riding the bike right (not keeping the engine at right RPM levels). Checked the manual (no reference to RPM level but recommended shift speeds per gear)   2) Took manual to dealer and they said the manual is wrong. So I rode per manual and never got over 2600 RPM, dealer says engine should be driven and shifted at 3000 to 3500 RPM. So I rode to their specs and never got out of 3rd gear until over 50 MPH. I'm not riding a two-stroke dirt bike but a Touring bike. On the freeway the speed limit is 60 MPH and shifting into 4th gear takes the RPM's to 2500.   3) Had mechanic who did engine upgrade ride bike and he said he didn't hear anything but maybe a transmission whine. I round tripped this bike to Sturgis and never had this ticking sound and as a truck driver for over 30 years I know when there is a change in sound to an engine.     

Has anyone else experienced this??

Since this noise became noticeable only after the dealer disassembled and reassembled the top end, and since it is common knowledge that the rocker cover/support can move during assembly to the point of valve spring retainer contact, you might want to suggest that they recheck for spring retainer contact.  If there is contact they should install the latest design part which has plenty of clearance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AZSSE

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »

I have a FXSTSSE Springer Softtail, and I also noticed after getting the 110 recall upgrade, I have a lot of tapping that I never noticed before. I was hoping that it would go away as it got worn in, as I've only put about a thousand miles on it since. If there is a real problem with this, I hope MOCO comes out with a fix.

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:46:39 AM »

0906 performed on the '07 FLHRSE3.  No issues before, no issues following.  Nevertheless as noted above, it is good counsel to ride an "enhanced" CVO well before pointing the wheels to a distant place.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:08:28 AM »

mine is enhanced but.............this is what i woke to 2day, hope it all melts so i can go pick it up,

wife spoke to mech after the job, he said top end was all black n crusty, the leak from lower rear was caused by oring not seating correctly, (maybe that was caused when the other dealer fitted the head gaskets as it only started leaking from there afterwards) the new square oring was a pain in the a$$ to put it, he needed 6 hands to keep it in place..
Hi Ice!
Nice picture. I hope the snow is gone by now.

Do you remember the discussion about the color of the oil in my '07 SERK? Well I had the engine cleaned thoroughly with two refills, and another oil and filter change done just early this month. Now I have put one 2.200 km and the oil is black again. 9 out of 10 people (including the sm) tell me that this is fine. "It is supposed to get black from doing its job" ... but I am still concerned. What's your take? Anyone else has black oil after a change and roughly a thousand miles (1.600 km)?

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »

Mine turns brown, not black. It is my understanding that true black color indicates metal wear.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »

hi louis, aw: snow, roads are clear and dry, so i have my bike back home, just gave it a good wash down to get any salt off,  but snow is still settled on gardens and fields, thawing slowly i guess its all gone in a couple days.

re. ur oil?
 i have 1550km after a 16000km service, my oil is turning more brown but is still relatively clear, i am no scientist but i believe oil eventually turns black with wear and use. I would say air-cooled is correct in stating the black colouring is metal particals, which is normal wear and tear. also oil would change colour when subjected to high running temps. But i would expect oil after 5k 10k to be black not after 1.6k.
I have read in other threads that the 110 jugs machine tolerance .004/.005 is greater than 95cubic motors .001 if i understand that correctly. As time goes on i believe more and more the moco 110 is a lemon!
I luv my bike and want to keep it, but its gonna need $$$ in maintenance. We in europe r stuffed 2year warrenty, no options to upgrade as in the mother land.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:36:58 PM »

louis, isnt the oil drain plug magnetic? Did it have alot of lil filings clinging to it?  Which brand of oil r u using?
As u have double changed the oil and filter, i think u cant blame residual oil contaminating the new oil.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.