Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Six Speed Side Cover Question  (Read 10139 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Six Speed Side Cover Question
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:23:42 AM »

Scanning a parts catalog earlier caused a question to pop in.  All the SE six speed gear kits include language saying the addition of the appropriate six speed side cover is required.

Why :nixweiss: ?

Clutch is the same.  Cable or hydraulic mount is the same.  Distance across the case doesn't change so pushrod is the same.  Nothing changes but the gear set and shift drum.

I can't think of a single reason why changing the side cover would be mandatory.  Just paying extra to advertise the words "6 Speed" on the new side cover?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:50:30 PM by Twolanerider »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Six Speed Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:56:14 AM »

More Moco $$$ ? or  looks better ?  or to remind me to up-shift to 6th ?    :nixweiss:

SERG is very plain.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:41:54 AM »

Scanning a parts catalog earlier caused a question to pop in.  All the SE six speed gear kits include language saying the addition of the appropriate six speed side cover is required.

Clutch is the same.  Cable or hydraulic mount is the same.  Distance across the case doesn't change so pushrod is the same.  Nothing changes but the gear set and shift drum.

I can't think of a single reason why changing the side cover would be mandatory.  Just paying extra to advertise the words "6 Speed" on the new side cover?

I think we went through this before, but the Cruise Drive 6 speed that comes on the '07 and later Touring and the '06 Dyna and later, is a 1:1 6th gear.  I believe the SE 6 speed to be an overdrive trans for 6th gear.  The manner in which they handle the O/D 6th may necessitate the need for a new side cover.

Other than that, I know nothing...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »

Hate to add more of a question than an answer but my 04 RG had a six speed "overdrive" from HD with a six speed cover.  At 70 mph, I tached 2600 rpm... same as the SERG but now they call it "cruise drive."  If it's not identical, it's damn close!!  I'm betting the standard cover fits but it would not be hard to compare........

gk

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »

Hate to add more of a question than an answer but my 04 RG had a six speed "overdrive" from HD with a six speed cover.  At 70 mph, I tached 2600 rpm... same as the SERG but now they call it "cruise drive."  If it's not identical, it's damn close!!  I'm betting the standard cover fits but it would not be hard to compare........

gk

I was wondering about the add-on SE gear set rather than the stock six speed "cruise drive" gear boxes.  They obviously come with a side cover that works.

Like you I'd be comfortable betting the unmarked standard side cover would work too.  Can't think of anything internally different.  So the only thing we're really being told to buy the side cover for is to adverstise the "6 Speed" logo on the side of the cover?

Only other thing I can think, but which I also doubt, is that perhaps the trap door on the six speed gear sets is some small amount different in thickness.  The side cover and clutch pushrod might then be mated to that difference?

Think I can even check that here though.  The side cover kits cover a year model range across the 2000 SERG and 05 SEEG.  One of this is the SE gear set six speed and the other is the stock five speed.  If the trap door thicknesses are the same that's not it.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »

my guess would be that on my SERK, the cover has a nipple on it for the hydraulic clutch so that may be the disclaimer for anyone with a hydraulic clutch

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:38 AM »

my guess would be that on my SERK, the cover has a nipple on it for the hydraulic clutch so that may be the disclaimer for anyone with a hydraulic clutch

That doesn't speak to the question though.  All the hydraulic clutch side covers are going to have a bleeder.  Five speed or six speed makes no difference.  If it's a hydraulic clutch; it's got a bleeder.  What I didn't know and found myself wondering about was whether the five and six speed side covers were interchangeable.

Granted, were of course talking interchangeability within either cable operated or hydraulically operated groups.  Despite Harley's fitment matrix to the contrary, however, I just can't think of anything that makes a five speed side cover different from a six speed side cover other than the "6 Speed" logo engraved on the outside to look cooler (and make you spend more).

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:30:13 AM »

Baker

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »

Don,

I have an extra 6 speed cover, if you need it PM me....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 09:40:13 AM »

I do not know the answer but always wondered the same about needing a different tranny cover with the 6 speed.  Pay $2,000 for a gear set and then have to pony up $300 for a cover.  Happy you are checking the cover(s) out.  Being trusting as I am, if I were able to do it, I would have went ahead and ordered as the MOCO said I needed it.  Could care less about the 6 speed notation also.  Hope you find out what you need to know.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »

Baker

Has absolutely nothing to do with the current curiosity.  Just wondering if HD really is lieing through their corporate teeth when they say the six speed side cover is "required."  That's a good chunk of change extra if all they're wanting to do is get the bike owner to display the logo.

Hey, Hogasm?  How we feeling about Baker today :huepfenlol2: ?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »

I do not know the answer but always wondered the same about needing a different tranny cover with the 6 speed.  Pay $2,000 for a gear set and then have to pony up $300 for a cover.  Happy you are checking the cover(s) out.  Being trusting as I am, if I were able to do it, I would have went ahead and ordered as the MOCO said I needed it.  Could care less about the 6 speed notation also.  Hope you find out what you need to know.

I know  :huepfenlol2: .  Feels like a racket doesn't it ??? !

Hadn't ever occurred to me as a question before a couple nights ago.  Then was sorting through a catalog and saw an aftermarket side cover listed whose fitment was described as "five or six speed."  Then the light bulb shone dimly over my head as I realized I couldn't think of a difference between them. 

Got to give Harley credit for testicular fortitude if they are telling us the extra $$ side cover is required and the only difference really is adding the logo on the outside.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »

Just went out and checked out my SERG plain door against a new RK door w/ the 6 speed written on it. Darn if I can tell one bit of difference externally except the writing. Maybe I just got lucky and got a stealth 6 speed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »

Just went out and checked out my SERG plain door against a new RK door w/ the 6 speed written on it. Darn if I can tell one bit of difference externally except the writing. Maybe I just got lucky and got a stealth 6 speed.

I've done the same now the the 05 SEEG with its SE gear set and "required" side cover and the 2000 SERG and it's standard side cover.  Even though the gear sets change after 2000 the side cover doesn't.  So the comparison would be on point. 

Thickness of side cover.  Thickness of trap door.  Externally the same.  The six speed trap door does not include a new clutch push rod.  So one has to assume the travel or length isn't changed internally either.  A new clutch cable isn't required so again one has to assume no internal difference for the cable connection.  Sure looks like Harley is hosing us the $$ just to make sure we display their fancy "6 speed" logo :huepfenlol2: .

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »

I've done the same now the the 05 SEEG with its SE gear set and "required" side cover and the 2000 SERG and it's standard side cover.  Even though the gear sets change after 2000 the side cover doesn't.  So the comparison would be on point. 

Thickness of side cover.  Thickness of trap door.  Externally the same.  The six speed trap door does not include a new clutch push rod.  So one has to assume the travel or length isn't changed internally either.  A new clutch cable isn't required so again one has to assume no internal difference for the cable connection.  Sure looks like Harley is hosing us the $$ just to make sure we display their fancy "6 speed" logo :huepfenlol2: .

YUP!  :pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.