Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CHOPPED TOUR PACK  (Read 2300 times)

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
CHOPPED TOUR PACK
« on: March 07, 2004, 11:57:29 AM »

Hi Guys,

Picked up the Chopped Tour Pack for my FLHRSEI2.  It was my intent to install with the detachable rack.  Making the attachments for the rack was easy, and the rack itself goes on nicely.  The question I have has to do with the actual trunk spacing.  The trunk has to be drilled to place it on your bike in the desired location.  There are 2 positions within the trunk itself; position #1 being the "normal" location as they call it, and position #2 being the more forward location (position #2 would actually move the trunk forward towards rider about 1.5 inches).  The forward position would make for a more stable mount with less overhang, but, does it create passenger interference or problems with the backpad interfering with the seat?  There are also 2 sets of holes in the actual detachable mount, again with about 1.5 inches of movement front to back possible.  I will obviously study this whole thing, but was curious as to what you guys may have found in doing your installations.  

The last thing I want to do is drill virgin fiberglass in the wrong spot.  I want to drill one set of four holes in the best position, either position #1 or position #2.  What do you think.  Also, do you have any ideas on getting good clean holes drilled through fiberglass, I just do not want to fray or splinter any holes.  Does taping the bottom help, how about high vs. low drill RPMS.  New sharp bit or used pit?  Predrill with a small diameter bit first, or not?  I want to do this right, any help would be appreciated.

Regarding the chopped tour pack, it came through undamaged despite a badly mangled box.  That had me really concerned when they first brought it out.  The paint is flawless and appears to match perfectly.  I will see how good the match is once its mounted and in the sun.  Overall, pleased with the pack, but not so with the pack mounted backrest.  The mounting bracket is installed lopsided.  I saw a post on the backrest elsewhere here in the discussion boards and can only hope I do not have to go through 5 of them to get a good one.  

Once it is mounted, I will post some pictures of the bike with the bike so you can judge for yourself.   Thanks in advance for your help.

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
Re: CHOPPED TOUR PACK
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 02:53:45 PM »

What is the part number of the detachable hardware kit?? thanks.....i would use a new pilot bit.  tape area up and pre-drill pilot hole if finished hole is larger than 1/4"
stock for now

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 07:59:48 PM »

I know on the Ultra Classics that if you moved it to the forward location, it made the passenger area smaller.  Not sure if it's the same on the Road King, but I'd be inclined to think so.  Call the service dept at your dealership.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 09:07:49 PM »

I put the full size tour pak on mine and mounted it on the detachable rack also.  On mine, there wasn't alot of movement possible, but I mounted it back as far as possible.  I may now make some brackets and move it further back to gain my wife a little room.  I always use the backrest and she says she's fine, but I've sat in it and I think it'd be better moved back an inch or two.  I also put on the full size passenger backrest pad rather than the stock pad, which required drilling some new holes.   Anyway, I imagine you'll really like the convenience of the tour pak and leave it on most of the time.
Steve

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 21 queries.