Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5th Gear Very Loud Griding on my 2007 FLHRSE3 .??  (Read 5415 times)

usa90

• Full CVO Member
5th Gear Very Loud Griding on my 2007 FLHRSE3 .??
« on: September 06, 2009, 07:25:07 PM »

Hi,
I know there are a lot of people that discuss transmission issues and I've read a lot of them trying to a find a possible reason. I have a VERY LOUD grinding noise in 5th Gear and it goes away if I let off the throttle but as soon as I'm on it again it continues to grind. It's only in 5th that I hear it that excessively otherwise I do notice a faint sound on the lower end but its nothing compared to this. I'm almost afraid to ride it right now because its so bad , its a holiday and obviously no dealers are open .
I've read a ton about the Redline Shockproof transmission gear fluid but I can't image this stopping from changing the fluid.

Here's another spin on this, I had it to my mechanic (he isn't an authorized HD service , he's a chopper builder and mechanic) he serviced it for the first time service and he changed the transmission oil to something a lot thinner as one of the mechanics there put it. Could this have caused it? I'm talking a very loud grinding, scraping sound , so loud that passer byes can hear it and I have thunderheader pipes. The problem is I didn't ride it much before I just bought it from a dealer in Texas, I thought it was best to have it serviced first.

I also read a post about the bearing in the inner primary failing and the mainshaft bushing. Could this cause that loud grinding?

Any advice is appreciated before I go to a dealer so I can throw some things at them from members who have been there.

Thanks

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: 5th Gear Very Loud Griding on my 2007 FLHRSE3 .??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 12:22:33 AM »

Hi,
I know there are a lot of people that discuss transmission issues and I've read a lot of them trying to a find a possible reason. I have a VERY LOUD grinding noise in 5th Gear and it goes away if I let off the throttle but as soon as I'm on it again it continues to grind. It's only in 5th that I hear it that excessively otherwise I do notice a faint sound on the lower end but its nothing compared to this. I'm almost afraid to ride it right now because its so bad , its a holiday and obviously no dealers are open .
I've read a ton about the Redline Shockproof transmission gear fluid but I can't image this stopping from changing the fluid.

Here's another spin on this, I had it to my mechanic (he isn't an authorized HD service , he's a chopper builder and mechanic) he serviced it for the first time service and he changed the transmission oil to something a lot thinner as one of the mechanics there put it. Could this have caused it? I'm talking a very loud grinding, scraping sound , so loud that passer byes can hear it and I have thunderheader pipes. The problem is I didn't ride it much before I just bought it from a dealer in Texas, I thought it was best to have it serviced first.

I also read a post about the bearing in the inner primary failing and the mainshaft bushing. Could this cause that loud grinding?

Any advice is appreciated before I go to a dealer so I can throw some things at them from members who have been there.

Thanks

Could be the compensator. Does it sound like a coffee grinder or a coffee can being shaken full of nuts and bolts? If so, you'll need to have the dealer tighten the compensator nut.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:29:45 AM by Heatwave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:27:05 AM »

Unfortunately the "only in 5th gear" part doesn't suggest compensator.  Never know.  And it's certainly an easier fix than a tranny gear or gear set.  But I'd not get my hopes up.

Fortunately the primary comes off for either job.  So no reason can't start there and check the easy potential solution first.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »

Hi,

Thanks

I've been reading your story, but can't remember what your first bike was, year wise.  I you bought a SG and now you have the SERK.

If this is your first Cruise Drive 6 speed, the 5th gear noise could get a person worried about what's going on inside the bike.  When my wife and I were in Hawaii in '08 we rented an '07 EG with the cruise drive 6 speed.  I had been updating my wife on some of the things people here had been reporting and the trans 5th gear noise was one of them.  At that time I had my order in for an' 08 SERK Annie.  So renting the '07 EG was the next best thing to see how they rode compared to my old restored '76 EG.  As soon as we left the city proper and was up in 5th gear, she tapped me on the shoulder and asked what the heck that loud noise was.  It of course was the straight cut 5th gear set.  1st gear is also straight cut, but at the very slow speeds you're at when in 1st gear, it's no biggie.

Then my '08 SERK came in.  By then people were praising the performance of Redline Shockproof trans lube.  This lube seems to help more of the people with very loud 5th gears.  In my case though, I really had to listen for the noise to even know it's there.  I was one of the lucky ones.

I traded that in for an '09 SERG and I'm very happy with this bike.  The 5th gear noise is there only some of the time and it does depend a lot on loaded or unloaded driveline.  (throttle on or throttle off)  I see no need in my case now nor with the '08 to do anything about the noise.

There were enough complaints that it pushed Baker to develop a 5th gear setup as a replacement for the HD cruise drive.  Enough complaints to HD for them to do helical cut gears across the board in '10. 

I think this is how HD thinks!!!

"We've have no problems with gear noise in 5th gear, but to humor all you whiners out there, we'll make the change to helical because we're nice guys"..... NOT!!!!  "Oh, we have no problems with the way we mount our motors on our touring bikes.  There's no high speed wobble, it's just the roads you guys ride on.  BUT because all those companies have gone into business making stabilizers for a non-existing problem, we'll come out with an all new frame for '09 with a 4-point motor/trans mounting system and reinforce the rear swingarm.  Hell, we'll go one better and make a brand new swingarm just to show you all how nice we are".....

So USA90, I would ask someone to take your bike for a spin that's had an '07 or '08 touring model for their opinion on the 5th gear noise.  Like twolane said, if it only happens in just one gear, it's probably related to just that one gear set in the trans.  Pretty much rules out other items like the primary side of things.

I think if it looks like the straight cut 5th gear noise, I think most here would recommend a lube change to Redline Shockproof gear lube and give that a try.  With this lube they say the shifting is improved as well.

Good luck with your new bike.  My wife said that we went backwards in style when I got rid of my '08 SERK Annie for the '09 SERG O/B.  However she does acknowledge that the SERG rides better than the SERK and she does like having the tunes while we ride.  Like almost every '09 SERG rider, I'm still looking for the Holy Grail of windshields, but that's a whole different story that volumes have been written on here in CVO land.

Enjoy the new SERK.  It is a great bike.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »

once many many years ago i changed the viscosity of the oil in a transmission because one of my chopper guy friends said i should

huge mistake - take it all apart - fix the bushings - put it all back together - it locked up tight in about 4 miles - had to be carried home.  :oops:

now i dont give a god d*&^ what anybody says - i put the exact viscosity of oil in a trans that the manual calls for. :soapbox:

if you had somebody put oil that is thinner than what is supposed to be in there - you might find yourself getting out your check book.

cruise drive trans have a issue with 5th gear noise - that is true - but if you have loud exhausts on it and can hear it the horse is out of the barn.

older transmissions used light engine oil  - in the 70's - ie old kick start only 4 speeds use engine oil. modern 6000 bux transmissions use transmission oil.

rtfm

if you have light engine oil in there ......... put in proper transmission oil quick, read the fine manual.

to

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »

:cherry:
"I think if it looks like the straight cut 5th gear noise, I think most here would recommend a lube change to Redline Shockproof gear lube and give that a try.  With this lube they say the shifting is improved as well."

I agree with the above 100%.......

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 04:44:14 PM »

I agree with Dan's suggestion...  Let a friend who has an 07 or 08 touring model ride your bike to listen to the noise.  It may be the "normal" 5th gear whine that all bikes with the straight cut gear have...  It takes some getting use to...

If that is what your noise is....then I would put Redline Shockproof oil in and forget about it. 

If it is more than the "normal" 5th gear whine - then start looking.  Maybe the compensator - but not likely (since your noise is "only in 5th gear").  Pull the primary cover and check the compensator.  If it is good - then check the primary bearings - then the transmission.   Without having heard your noise - if I were to speculate - I'd guess your noise is normal for the straight cut 5th gear....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »

This noise is definitely not normal , its very loud, its not a whine its a grinding , scraping sound.
I never noticed it on the ride to the mechanics to change the oil so it maybe whatever he decided to use that possibly caused it. If this was a normal sound then everybody would be afraid to drive it , I'm worried I'm causing damage to it be driving it right now.

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »

Where can I find the Redline Shockproof Transmission oil?  I have Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA Auto parts and Carquest Auto parts. Will any of these stores carry it?
Thanks for everyones help

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »

Where can I find the Redline Shockproof Transmission oil?  I have Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA Auto parts and Carquest Auto parts. Will any of these stores carry it?
Thanks for everyones help

If you don't have a local vendor you can always fall back on Summit Racing. 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-58204/

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »

Thanks for letting me know.

I spoke with my mechanic after this holiday weekend and he claimed he put the heavier Redline oil into it. So now I'm not sure what's going on, he's going to drain the oil and check for metal fragments and go from there, he's working on it today so I'll hear something later this evening.

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 02:13:13 PM »

Ok, now it gets stranger and worse...He drained the oil, no signs of metal everything looked clean , put fresh in took it out for a spin and didn't hear anything.
BUT now he said that the rear cylinder is leaking..lucky I'm scheduled to get the recall done at a local HD dealer so I hope that will take care of the problem.
I think I got shafted by the dealer who sold me the bike, my mechanic claims it couldn't have just started when you bought it they must have concealed it well enough until they turned it over to me. I only rode it about 200mile before it started happening.
I still don't understand where that very loud noise came from in 5th gear and how it just disappeared.
I love this bike but man what a disappointing start..

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »

Thanks for letting me know.

I spoke with my mechanic after this holiday weekend and he claimed he put the heavier Redline oil into it. So now I'm not sure what's going on, he's going to drain the oil and check for metal fragments and go from there, he's working on it today so I'll hear something later this evening.

When he said "the heavier Redline oil", I hope he didn't just throw the 20/60 into the trans thinking that you can use the same oil in all 3 holes as you would the Syn3. He needed to have put Redline Shockproof in the trans and the Redline VTwin Primary fluid in the primary.

I've go my fingers crossed for ya.....

sportybob

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »

I realize this was posted along time ago and by now you probable have had a solution to your problem. I bought a 07 flhr new and had no noise for about the first twenty thousand miles then all hell broke loose. The grinding was unreal. I had three different so called Harley techs take it for a ride and they all had a different idea as to what was wrong.The bike would vibrate even when sitting still with the motor running and bike in neutral so they thought it was the front motor mount so they changed that and still the same problem. Long story short when it got too bad to ride anymore they finally took the tranny apart and found the transmission main gear bearing was shot. It fell out in pieces!! The whole gear assembly except for the case had to be replaced. I saw a memo at the dealers that said they would replace fifth gear in 07 to 09 models with the new helical cut gear but I think that will only happen on an individual bases if owners of these model years complain enough. I hope this will help anyone having this problem.

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.