Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EVO Industries 30T Sprocket  (Read 4600 times)

FiveO CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • SERK's Rule

• CVO1: FLHRSE4 105th Annv #819/1800
EVO Industries 30T Sprocket
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »

I have recently installed a 30T Evo Industries primary sprocket in my 2008 SERK.  The initial rides were fine with no unusual occurrences.  About a week later after riding it hard (but not smoking the tire at every stop) I'm now getting a somewhat constant noise from the primary side of the bike.  I've gone back in to check and see if the sprocket nut came loose or the chain itself wasn't being kept tensioned by the tensioner.  Both are fine and doing what they're supposed to be doing. So right now I'm kind of at a loss to what it may be.  Any input or guidance from the community would be greatly appreciated.

I guess another question would be is should I maybe revert back to stock sprocket (w/comp) and do the tranny pulley instead (like the Andrews 30T and new belt)??????

Thanks much.  SteveO
-- MOD's
    Dead Center Cycle fairing - CVO Annv paint by Gene
    Speeds Performance "Speedy Flow" Intake w/'07 A/C Cover off my CVO Springer
    '61- 62 Tank Decals painted to match
    RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust - LSR Black Hole Spyder w/stock O2 sensors
    RB Racing Dual O2 Display gauge on handlebar
    Andrews 54H's Cams w/SE Cam Support Plate & SE Pushrods (Adj)
    30T Evo Industries Primary Sprocket/Chain
    TTS MasterTune
    EZ Up Center Stand
    Redline fluids throughout

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: EVO Industries 30T Sprocket
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »

I have recently installed a 30T Evo Industries primary sprocket in my 2008 SERK.  The initial rides were fine with no unusual occurrences.  About a week later after riding it hard (but not smoking the tire at every stop) I'm now getting a somewhat constant noise from the primary side of the bike.  I've gone back in to check and see if the sprocket nut came loose or the chain itself wasn't being kept tensioned by the tensioner.  Both are fine and doing what they're supposed to be doing. So right now I'm kind of at a loss to what it may be.  Any input or guidance from the community would be greatly appreciated.

I guess another question would be is should I maybe revert back to stock sprocket (w/comp) and do the tranny pulley instead (like the Andrews 30T and new belt)??????

Thanks much.  SteveO

HD uses a compensating sprocket for a reason. I'd never run these large, newer motors without one. Oh my, I hope your noise isn't due to that sprocket causing excessive runout now. I wanted to do this from the beginning, but wouldn't giver up the comp. Now Baker makes different trans pulleys to change ratios. I used a 31T which doesn't require a belt change. The 30T Andrews or Baker requires a belt change. Good luck and please let us know what caused your noise. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FiveO CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • SERK's Rule

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:59:02 PM »

Thanks Hoist, I hope it isn't beating up the crank.  A few weeks before installing the EVO sprocket, I had the dealer install a set of Andrews 54H's along with a SE Cam Support Plate and SE Adj push rods.  No problems, but wasn't really satisfied with the low end torque improvements, thus the reason for going to the left side and changing out the sprocket.  I'll keep the forum posted on what happens.  Thanks for your input.

I was kind of thinking the same thing when you mentioned crank runout, but I also thought it maybe something to do with the clutch and/or basket.  Bottom line, I was weary about having the comp removed, and now even more so.
-- MOD's
    TTS MasterTune
    EZ Up Center Stand

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »

Thanks Hoist, I hope it isn't beating up the crank.  A few weeks before installing the EVO sprocket, I had the dealer install a set of Andrews 54H's along with a SE Cam Support Plate and SE Adj push rods.  No problems, but wasn't really satisfied with the low end torque improvements, thus the reason for going to the left side and changing out the sprocket.  I'll keep the forum posted on what happens.  Thanks for your input.

I was kind of thinking the same thing when you mentioned crank runout, but I also thought it maybe something to do with the clutch and/or basket.  Bottom line, I was weary about having the comp removed, and now even more so.

Did you have your runout checked before you did the cams? You'll have a benchmark if you did, and can see if it's walking on you or not. I have a zero runout S&S forged crank and don't want to jeopardize its integrity. I converted to a timken bearing too. I use S&S gears, not the hydro-tensioner. I'm adding the cush-drive rear pulley this winter too.

If nothing let loose in there, I'd waste no time and have the runout checked JIC. Then go from there if it's OK. ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »

I had the EVO ind. 30t sprocket in my 07 after everything went bad in the primary. My problem was the vibration when I got above 50mph and worse when at 67mph I shifted to 6th. I now have the SE comp ass. and the vibration is gone. Still don't know what caused the vibrations. Good luck with yours.

FiveO CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • SERK's Rule

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »

Rooster, Are you saying you still have the EVO 30T in there and you added the SE Comp, or you made a trade/swap?  I will purchase the SE Comp if I can add it to the EVO 30T.

Hoist, I didn't have the runout checked when doing the cams because Andrews told me I didn't need to go with gear driven being that I have an '08.  They did say if I wanted to still go with gear driven cams that I would need to check and confirm that I had less than .003 runout.  I think he said three thousandths, don't remember off the top of my head.

This afternoon I did order an Hydraulic Tensioner from South Oregon Hot Bikes.  Called the Wedge 2.  This was based on a conversation my installer had with EVO Industries this afternoon, and them saying the stock tensioner may be bad or something about during install, the chain may be hitting some washers or something in there too.  The Wedge is only $107.00 so I'm going to try that first.  If that doesn't solve the issue, then I will seriously consider sending the crank to Darkhorse Crankworks in WI and get it trued and welded.  Anything, so I have a bike for Sturgis.  My club is going this year and I don't want to miss it or have to worry about it on the road ...

Thanks again gentlemen for your insights and comments.  MTF
-- MOD's
    TTS MasterTune
    EZ Up Center Stand

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »

Rooster, Are you saying you still have the EVO 30T in there and you added the SE Comp, or you made a trade/swap?  I will purchase the SE Comp if I can add it to the EVO 30T.

Hoist, I didn't have the runout checked when doing the cams because Andrews told me I didn't need to go with gear driven being that I have an '08.  They did say if I wanted to still go with gear driven cams that I would need to check and confirm that I had less than .003 runout.  I think he said three thousandths, don't remember off the top of my head.

This afternoon I did order an Hydraulic Tensioner from South Oregon Hot Bikes.  Called the Wedge 2.  This was based on a conversation my installer had with EVO Industries this afternoon, and them saying the stock tensioner may be bad or something about during install, the chain may be hitting some washers or something in there too.  The Wedge is only $107.00 so I'm going to try that first.  If that doesn't solve the issue, then I will seriously consider sending the crank to Darkhorse Crankworks in WI and get it trued and welded.  Anything, so I have a bike for Sturgis.  My club is going this year and I don't want to miss it or have to worry about it on the road ...

Thanks again gentlemen for your insights and comments.  MTF

The Evo sprocket replaces the HD compensating sprocket. You use one or the other. HD also makes a SE comp sprocket that can handle higher torque than the stock unit. You'd have to go back to stock primary gearing. You can change the gearing easiest by the trans pulley change. Like I said earlier, the 30T needs a belt change, the 31T doesn't.

What Andrews told you is good info. Some people, myself included, checked runout while in there regardless of going to a gear or not. That's why I asked.

I ordered the Wedge 2 over a month ago from the same people. I think they're the only ones you can get it from. It's been back-ordered over a month now, and I can't get a return call or email back from them. I use that auto-tensioner on my other bikes, so I wanted to use it on this one too. Did they take your money for it yet? Did they respond back to you?

If it were mine, I'd take everything apart in the primary, check the runout on both sides, get rid of the Evo non-comp sprocket, change the gearing thru the trans pulley to whatever you want, and unless the runout's bad, I'd not worry about welding the crank. The whole engine comes apart for that. Major job! The Wedge 2 whould be a good upgrade, but maybe a lil unproven as I don't know anyone using it yet. But the original Wedge works just fine! ;)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:04:23 PM by Hoist! »

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »

Did you have your runout checked before you did the cams? You'll have a benchmark if you did, and can see if it's walking on you or not. I have a zero runout S&S forged crank and don't want to jeopardize its integrity. I converted to a timken bearing too. I use S&S gears, not the hydro-tensioner. I'm adding the cush-drive rear pulley this winter too.

If nothing let loose in there, I'd waste no time and have the runout checked JIC. Then go from there if it's OK. ;)

Howie I'm doing the 30T with the Andrews 54's. Think that will work good on the 09 SERG?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »

Rooster, Are you saying you still have the EVO 30T in there and you added the SE Comp, or you made a trade/swap?  I will purchase the SE Comp if I can add it to the EVO 30T.

Hoist, I didn't have the runout checked when doing the cams because Andrews told me I didn't need to go with gear driven being that I have an '08.  They did say if I wanted to still go with gear driven cams that I would need to check and confirm that I had less than .003 runout.  I think he said three thousandths, don't remember off the top of my head.

This afternoon I did order an Hydraulic Tensioner from South Oregon Hot Bikes.  Called the Wedge 2.  This was based on a conversation my installer had with EVO Industries this afternoon, and them saying the stock tensioner may be bad or something about during install, the chain may be hitting some washers or something in there too.  The Wedge is only $107.00 so I'm going to try that first.  If that doesn't solve the issue, then I will seriously consider sending the crank to Darkhorse Crankworks in WI and get it trued and welded.  Anything, so I have a bike for Sturgis.  My club is going this year and I don't want to miss it or have to worry about it on the road ...

Thanks again gentlemen for your insights and comments.  MTF
The 30t came out and now have the SE comp assembly

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.