Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gearing Question  (Read 3861 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Gearing Question
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:35:56 PM »

Have 09 SERG thinking about changing from 32 teeth to 30. Anyone with experience? How will it change the experience? 2 up touring ok? Where will 3000 rpm in 6th gear put me speedwise.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: Gearing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:49:46 AM »

Have 09 SERG thinking about changing from 32 teeth to 30. Anyone with experience? How will it change the experience? 2 up touring ok? Where will 3000 rpm in 6th gear put me speedwise.
I have a 31T front pulley from Baker on the way for my 09. It takes the stock 09 2.88 final gear to 2.96. I am fairly certain its a bolt on not requiring a shorter belt.
I ran the 30T/2.96 on my 07 and loved it. The 07s and 08s were 2.79, it was a huge improvement. I was actually going to use the 30T on my 09 but could not locate the 1 tooth shorter belt. At the time I didn't realize the 09 rear pulley was 68T instead of 66T giving the 09s 2.88 final instead of the 2.79. The 30T will bump an 09-2010 to just over 3.0 final. Maybe too low geared for some? I bet perfect if you run heavy or never ride past 70. For me, the lower gear improved performance accoss the board. Very noticable just letting the clutch out in first. Especially when loaded heavy. 6th gear roll on, way better, less downshifting pulling grades on cruise. Still run 90 all day.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:58:26 AM by Fullsac Perf »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

Hey Steve we are finishing mine up today. We went with the 30T and found a belt that would work and is the correct width. Cams are in as well and tuning this afternoon. I might give you a call later. Did you say that there was a way to recalibrate the spedo with the tuner you sent me?

Mike

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »

Hey Steve we are finishing mine up today. We went with the 30T and found a belt that would work and is the correct width. Cams are in as well and tuning this afternoon. I might give you a call later. Did you say that there was a way to recalibrate the spedo with the tuner you sent me?

Mike
Where did you find the belt? What make is it?

The TTS will let you calibrate the speedo. You can read up on it in the manual for details.

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »

I will check and let you know. Its not a harley belt and is "better" than stock. I believe he said a 139?

MIke

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »

Hey Steve, I'll get the belt info tomorrow. They did the Dyno pulls in 4th gear, should they use 5th gear? Also third is after the gear change. Will that affect the dyno numbers?

Mike

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »

Big Lew, If you go to the Baker Trans web site they have an rpm calculator. You can punch in any combo of pulleys and it will tell you your rpms at any speed. The only thing is you have to enter the diameter, or circumference  of your rear tire. I'm not sure which because I haven't been on their site for a while. You can get that information on the Dunlop Tire web site. If you get a chance let me know how it works out. Good Luck CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 11:56:57 PM »

thanks

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »

:nixweiss:

Biglew......How did the 30T change turn out???   I've got an '09 SE Ultra that I'm not happy with the gearing on.  I was used to my overall final 3.37 on my '01 RKing and this 2.87 now is not getting it on the (lower end) for me.

I figure that the 30T gives you a final of about 3.07 or close to a 7% improvement.  How do ya like it and any problems with your "cruise control" (if you have that)and also your sixth gear (green lite) does it still work??? :confused5:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »

:nixweiss:

Biglew......How did the 30T change turn out???   I've got an '09 SE Ultra that I'm not happy with the gearing on.  I was used to my overall final 3.37 on my '01 RKing and this 2.87 now is not getting it on the (lower end) for me.

I figure that the 30T gives you a final of about 3.07 or close to a 7% improvement.  How do ya like it and any problems with your "cruise control" (if you have that)and also your sixth gear (green lite) does it still work??? :confused5:
I love the gear! Cruise works great not sure about the light in 6th. It really keeps the bike in the sweet spot thur the gears. 6th gear at 70 mph is around 3,100.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »

When I changed to a 30 tooth on my 07 SECUSE, we used a Sportster belt. Used the same setup on my 07 Roadglide. Thinking about doing the same to my 2010 Ultra (103).

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »

:cherry:
OK.......Biglew........Did ya get the new cog from Baker or another source (which one) and what was the belt size you ended up with.   I 'm assuming a Harley belt was available. :nixweiss:

Did your speedo need to be re-calibrated to reflect the gear change.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »

Moscooter, your speedo will be off after this sprocket change.

I was thinking.... :confused5:  I have the original drive belt from my 07 Roadglide. Th RG had a 66 tooth rear sprocket (I believe correct please if I am wrong). My 2010 ultra has a 68 tooth rear sprocket. Both bikes have the 32 tooth secondary drive sprocket. If I drop my secondary to 30 could I use the RG belt as it should be shorter?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 09:18:33 AM »

Not sure if your RG belt will work or not.  Don't forget the Tour frame got re-designed in '09,  so that may have altered the demensions and belt length needed. :nixweiss:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »

Not sure if your RG belt will work or not.  Don't forget the Tour frame got re-designed in '09,  so that may have altered the demensions and belt length needed. :nixweiss:

It didn't work. Too short I think? Can't remember now it was such a long 2 days. Stock belt won't fit (obviously) and the RG didn't either. So we got a Tri-Glide belt that was the right length but was a tad too wide (1 1/4" rather then 1" I think). So we put the stock belt and sprocket back on until we can order the right belt. This was on Tuesday afternoon late. We were leaving for North Carolina to ride the mountains Wednesday afternoon. Took it out for a test drive as I installed the Bub's True Dual exhaust and on the way back into the parking lot I romped the throttle and the belt snapped. Ran back down to Leesburg's Gator HD Wed. morning and got another stock belt and another gasket kit and quart of oil for the primary. Headed out to NC at 4:30 Wed. and rode 1400 miles total in a few days and all went well.

I'll do the sprocket later....maybe....after I see what my new TTS Mastertune does. Waiting to install that after I get my stealth baffles in. The others were a tad higher pitched than I would like.

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.