Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: missed shifts @ high RPM  (Read 3461 times)

darreldanger

missed shifts @ high RPM
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »

Hi guys, I have a problem with my 98 evo stock 5 speed tranny, when I really get on it and
@ higher RPMs (say 5000 rpm & up) I can rarely catch 2nd or 3rd gear I will usually miss it no matter how hard I try and it seems to be getting more often.  But if I am not zingin' it, it always shifts properly.  Whats up?  I took the top inspection cover off it and checked the dogs on the sides of the gears and they looked brand new.  I also checked the shift forks and they also looked good, not bent or anything unusual but I did replace the shift forks but they did not help. I also checked the shifter Pawl adjustment according to the book and it is in proper position.  I can't figure this one out!  I also changed the tranny lube from the Harley oil to the Red Line tranny oil hoping for something but it also was no help. Also, this may not be related to the above issue, but when I go to peel out from a stop sign, and let the clutch out, it sounds like WHAM like I just kicked it into gear without using the clutch @ 3000 RPM.  It is a horrible banging sound. I thought all this was tranny but as I said I have found nothing. I also checked eveything in the primary chain case and it also was all fine, nothing broken or out of the ordinary.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:33:11 PM by darreldanger »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: missed shifts @ high RPM
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »

Did you check the compensating nut to make sure it is tight?  I had one come loose once on an 89 EVO and it sounded like the motor was coming apart, but I do not recall any shift problems.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

darreldanger

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:25:42 PM »

Did you check the compensating nut to make sure it is tight?  I had one come loose once on an 89 EVO and it sounded like the motor was coming apart, but I do not recall any shift problems.
I will check it Thank You

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »

Hi guys, I have a problem with my 98 evo stock 5 speed tranny, when I really get on it and
@ higher RPMs (say 5000 rpm & up) I can rarely catch 2nd or 3rd gear I will usually miss it no matter how hard I try and it seems to be getting more often.  But if I am not zingin' it, it always shifts properly.  Whats up?  I took the top inspection cover off it and checked the dogs on the sides of the gears and they looked brand new.  I also checked the shift forks and they also looked good, not bent or anything unusual but I did replace the shift forks but they did not help. I also checked the shifter Pawl adjustment according to the book and it is in proper position.  I can't figure this one out!  I also changed the tranny lube from the Harley oil to the Red Line tranny oil hoping for something but it also was no help. Also, this may not be related to the above issue, but when I go to peel out from a stop sign, and let the clutch out, it sounds like WHAM like I just kicked it into gear without using the clutch @ 3000 RPM.  It is a horrible banging sound. I thought all this was tranny but as I said I have found nothing. I also checked eveything in the primary chain case and it also was all fine, nothing broken or out of the ordinary.

Mine done that and i put a se stronger spring on the clutch fixed it.
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:33:23 AM »

In your tranny the shift dogs are integral to the gears.  In the newer stuff, they use dog rings.  In your tranny you are actually slamming the mass of the gear around when you shift and it is not uncommon when trying to speed shift as you are to actually have the gear bounce back and give a false neutral. 

Try preloading the shifter level slightly with your toe before you shift - see if that helps.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »

In your tranny the shift dogs are integral to the gears.  In the newer stuff, they use dog rings.  In your tranny you are actually slamming the mass of the gear around when you shift and it is not uncommon when trying to speed shift as you are to actually have the gear bounce back and give a false neutral. 

Try preloading the shifter level slightly with your toe before you shift - see if that helps.

Stomp it with your heel.  No Mercy.  HD Trannys are bulletproof.  Works for me.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.