Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 6 speed builder kit install  (Read 4419 times)

elvis4849

• 01 road king efi twin cam 88
6 speed builder kit install
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:00:05 AM »

i just orderd a 6 speed builders kit from ultama. i have a 01 stock road king. it says that i will need to do some modifing any one ever put one in a 01+ road king? 
Pokey Waz Here

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 6 speed builder kit install
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »

Have never installed an Ultima brand kit.  Have done a few of the Harley branded kits.  They require some grinding on the case to gain clearance that wasn't there to begin with.  Can not speak to whether the Ultima required modifications are the same.  Wait until your parts actually arrive and you've got the directions in hand.  You'll likely be far better informed then than you are with only speculation right now.

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »

I'd like to personally, appologize to the OP for a blatantly stupid response that I post'd here earlier, and also all the forum members......I really did'nt give a proper look to the post, just kind'a glance'd at it, not give'n serious thought......don' know where my head was......let'n too many things carry over here from some place else, and has no place here......again, I appologize 

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »

Have never installed an Ultima brand kit.  Have done a few of the Harley branded kits.  They require some grinding on the case to gain clearance that wasn't there to begin with.  Can not speak to whether the Ultima required modifications are the same.  Wait until your parts actually arrive and you've got the directions in hand.  You'll likely be far better informed then than you are with only speculation right now.
Do you have 6 speeds in your two bikes?  If so do they do any better than before or should I say is the cost justified?

Thanks
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:23 PM »

Do you have 6 speeds in your two bikes?  If so do they do any better than before or should I say is the cost justified?

Thanks

Two totally different gearing setups on the two bikes.  The older 2000 Road Glide almost literally screamed for another gear.  They were geared such that you cruised highway speeds at 3500 or so.  Combined with where the torque of the engine was it wasn't a great cruising combination.  Could wear on a rider over a long day.  When the engine got its new cams moving the torque curve in even a bit earlier the bike got a six speed at the same time. 

Those early 95" SE bikes really need the extra gear or a gearing change.  The touch-up on the engine and the addition of one more curve makes that bike a much much more pleasurable ride.

The 05, however, really had no need for the sixth gear.  Stock gearing had you cruising the highway in (if I remember right) in the 3000-3200 range.  Stock torque curve carried beyond that just enough to making passing a vehicle no particular problem.  It really was a nicely matched gearing and engine combination.  One might wish first gear was a tiny bit lower and a wee bit wider from 1st to 2nd.  But nothing was really bad there. 

I didn't do the six speed on that bike for a long time.  Then did some engine work and changed the torque curve tremendously.  In much earlier and longer.  Then the bike could take advantage of the extra gear.  It was again the combination that made the difference.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:13:22 PM »

Ooops, just noticed the "is the cost justified?" part of the question.  Well.....  not really.  Or it depends on what you mean by justification.

You will NEVER ride enough for any small difference in fuel economy gain to justify more than a small percentage of the cost of the upgrade.  So you are not doing the job for fuel economy.  Anyone who says they is is deluding themselves or justifying the cost to their wife.

Especially on the 2000 Road Glide I consider the task justified because the gearing/engine combination really needed it.  The engine now run in rather than just beyond its sweet spot going down the road.  The bike is also much more pleasurable to ride with much less physical rider's wear during a long day from heightened engine noise.  It's a much much nicer bike to ride with everything moved to the left that 300 RPM or so.  It doesn't sound like a lot.  But in the proper place it's a big deal. 

It's less justified on the 05.  The engine would still have been cruising well within a comfort range with stock gearing.  The sweet spot of the torque curve was just so much longer and better with the engine work that, though not necessary, I could simply take advantage of the longer and wider gearing.  It made the bike more fun.  It's nice on the highway to have the OD gear and slightly lower RPM with the cruise locked on.  But it is far less "justified" on this bike than on the 2000.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:03:11 AM »

Don, I'm just a little more than a hundred miles into an SE 6-speed install on the '04 SEEG, but if it's an even better experience on the '00 SERG, then I can't save my pennies fast enough!  

I read with some concern the reports of engine lugging, etc. at highway speeds from others, but decided to do it anyway because the bike is going to see some significant highway miles this year thinking I'd just have to dink with the primary gearing, or change pipes, or both, if the bike felt overly sluggish.  But even with the Rineharts, the bike pulls just fine in 6th from 2500rpm (about 65/70, or so) on up into the triple digits ... in a 25mph headwind, two-up, even.  You know you're in an overdrive gear, sorta like you know it when your car or truck hits OD, and I can see downshifting when a quick pass is needed, but still, the torque is there to pull the bike in the OD gear.

So, I'm looking forward to the trips that are planned and the bike and me both having a little less physical wear and tear that another 400 or 500rpm can bring to a day's ride.  Is it cost justified?  No.  But is anything we ever do to these bikes (maybe outside the original pipe, air cleaner and custom tune mods to get them running like they should have in the first place)?  I just know I'm already wishing I'd have done it a long time ago.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

Don, I'm just a little more than a hundred miles into an SE 6-speed install on the '04 SEEG, but if it's an even better experience on the '00 SERG, then I can't save my pennies fast enough!  

I read with some concern the reports of engine lugging, etc. at highway speeds from others, but decided to do it anyway because the bike is going to see some significant highway miles this year thinking I'd just have to dink with the primary gearing, or change pipes, or both, if the bike felt overly sluggish.  But even with the Rineharts, the bike pulls just fine in 6th from 2500rpm (about 65/70, or so) on up into the triple digits ... in a 25mph headwind, two-up, even.  You know you're in an overdrive gear, sorta like you know it when your car or truck hits OD, and I can see downshifting when a quick pass is needed, but still, the torque is there to pull the bike in the OD gear.

So, I'm looking forward to the trips that are planned and the bike and me both having a little less physical wear and tear that another 400 or 500rpm can bring to a day's ride.  Is it cost justified?  No.  But is anything we ever do to these bikes (maybe outside the original pipe, air cleaner and custom tune mods to get them running like they should have in the first place)?  I just know I'm already wishing I'd have done it a long time ago.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Brian.  A little less wear and tear on the rider after a long day is a real benefit; something made more significant with pipes like the Rineharts.  Really never had any intention of doing it to the red bike when in stock trim.  But after the 575 cams were installed the bike could better take advantage and "enjoy" the gear change.  After the later work the difference was even more profound of course.  But it doesn't take much to dial them in to a place you can really like the difference.  You're going to have a fun summer :2vrolijk_21: .

Did I understand correctly that you had done it to the SERG?  If so how do you like that difference?  in stock trim the gearing on those bikes just screams for another gear when on the highway.  The OD gear set is a great fit for those bikes.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »

No, haven't done the SERG ... yet.  Was just referring to what you'd said about it being a bit more "justified" on that bike due to the gearing and thinking that if I like it with the SEEG this much, I better start saving for the SERG. :o

It's probably going to be next year's mod for the SERG, though.  Got some goodies planned for the FXR3 next. :)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »

No, haven't done the SERG ... yet.  Was just referring to what you'd said about it being a bit more "justified" on that bike due to the gearing and thinking that if I like it with the SEEG this much, I better start saving for the SERG. :o

It's probably going to be next year's mod for the SERG, though.  Got some goodies planned for the FXR3 next. :)

Chalk this up to the "sometimes you just luck out" category; but if you're thinking about it set up an eBay auto search for the gear kit part number for the SERG.

I had one active for only four or five months before stumbling in to a heluva bargain.  It's an old part number that doesn't fit anything that's been new for a long time.  Still them get listed occasionally for a good price as someone tries to clear old inventory.  It's been awhile now but pretty sure I paid $785 for mine.  Still had to get the side cover but a site member fixed me up there for cheap (Thanks Greg!!).

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.