Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I'm really surprised!  (Read 3735 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
I'm really surprised!
« on: April 18, 2004, 05:04:47 PM »

I am really surprised at functions, events and runs I seek out the CVO bikes to put a business card for this web site on it.  Every now and then, the owner will be standing off a short distance and approach me (they usually think I'm a painter advertizing).  As I explain that it's a web site for CVO owners, I invariably get asked "what is a CVO?"  They know little or nothing about their bike, other than they liked the paint job or the way it is tricked out.

I tried using the "a site for the factory Screamin Eagle bike owners" but their not all Screamin Eagle.

Just find it interesting that so many owners don't even know anything about CVO.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
Re: I'm really surprised!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 06:06:28 PM »

you shouldn't be that surprised........guys with these bikes are either yuppies w/ money and it's their first bike  or guys who just plain love bikes.   does that make any sense??  
stock for now

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 10:25:18 PM »

I am really surprised at functions, events and runs I seek out the CVO bikes to put a business card for this web site on it.

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 11:51:33 PM »

CVO? Is that what my bike is? Certainly Very Obviously is is a screamin eagle. [smiley=laugh.gif]. But seriously a lot of people I meet with cvo bikes go "what is a message board?" [smiley=dunce2.gif]
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 10:37:51 AM »

keep in mind some people do the motorcycle thing, some people do the internet thing. either of theses can be done a little or a lot. to some people e-mail is the extent of their internet activity, but try and find some one  from an extreemly small sub-culture of the motorcycle community, you have bikers than as subset of that is harley owners and then break that down even more, to probally less than 1% of harley owners are CVO owners and then try and find CVO owners that are also internet savy and that cuts the numbers yet again. i have talked to people with CVO bikes and i approach this site with a simple "do you go online?" question if they say no, i stop there if they say yes i tell them about the site. many have said they will check it out but most have not signed up [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 11:59:52 AM »

You guys are all certainly right.......except maybe Naitram, who has religated us to less than a 1%er [smiley=laugh.gif](never mind Psycho, you're not the only one  that will not get that one).

What I'm confused about is that all HD salesmen do not educate the buyers to exactly what they're buying, during the process.  When Psycho, for instance, walked up to a bike in the dealership that caught his eye, where was the salesman who should have been giving Psycho the information on that bike, at that moment?  "This is a CVO model.  Custom Vehicle Operations is a divison on Harley Davidson that produces factory custom bikes......and this is one of them.....the Screamin Eagle Deuce".  I guess it's came down to "sales skills, style and technique are unimportant in the new Harley Davidson market.  And, why should that surprise me [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Just a very interesting (to me) observation.  
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 01:09:32 PM »

an educated salesmen, thats an oxymoron JC, and you know thats not the kinda 1%er i was refering to, not that there's anyhting wrong with those guys either, happen to know some good guys with colors

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 01:14:33 PM »

SERK103, I tend to think you're right on and what JCZ is seeing is that there are probably more of the former than the latter.  As far as the salespeople giving the buyers the history of CVO's, if the customer is not interested why would they bother?  H-D really does not do too much to hype these special bikes, themselves, which is probably the main reason why people (even owners [smiley=confused5.gif]) haven't developed much of an understanding of them even when it comes to something as simple as the H-D division's name that produces them.

It is odd, though, that in the automotive world, there does seem to be more general-public knowledge of Ford's SVT, DaimlerChrysler's PVO, and Mercedes' AMG divisions (to name a few) than there is among biker's about the CVO bikes.  

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 01:47:19 AM »

Most of the dealerships I have shopped do not have salesmen they are mearly order takers and know very little about the sales process.  Why should they as the bikes in effect sell themselves!

When buying my CVO I knew more about the bike than either the salesman or the dealer manager who did not even know about the bikes cruise controal which came out upon delivery of the bike.  In fact some of the stuff he told me was just wrong but luckily I had done a bunch of reading about the bike and found this site which really educated me.

vroom

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 02:13:36 AM »

an educated salesmen, thats an oxymoron JC, and you know thats not the kinda 1%er i was refering to, not that there's anyhting wrong with those guys either, happen to know some good guys with colors

Nothing Moves until the sale is made!
Educated salesmen are not an oxymoron!Know where you're coming from but that statement is DEAD wrong.
Vroom. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 02:18:17 AM by vroom »

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 09:53:14 AM »

I concurr that the salespeople selling these scooters are predominately order takers, the salesman who sold to me was all of 25 years old, and knew very little about harley's, let alone CVO's. I guess CVO owners could be reffered to as half percenters 1/2%!!! [smiley=beerchug.gif] LOL
I will have patches for sale shortly!!!
just kiddin'
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 05:32:44 PM »

Nothing Moves until the sale is made!
 Educated salesmen are not an oxymoron!Know where you're coming from but that statement is DEAD wrong.
Vroom. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

fair enough i shouldnt make a blanket statement like that. but my experience trying to but an SERK was with 2 dealers, the first when i asked what he knew about the bike, his reply was "expensive", the dealer i eventually bought from was simply an order taker as johnny would say. i went there said i want an SERK i was handed a sales brochure and had my name put on a waiting list. when i picked the bike up they couldnt even tell me how to remove the rider backrest.

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 05:36:16 PM »

Just to throw a comment in about CVO and who knows about it.  My local Hrley dealerships have to be told (by me) to look in a different book for parts for my FXR2.  However, when I bought it, it was on consignment at a local, non-Harley dealer, who knew all about the CVO.  When I first saw it, I knew it was an FXR and I commented about the paint job and got a CVO history lesson.  They know all about it.

Funny how non-dealer folks know more about the CVO than the guys at the HD dealerships.

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 09:07:13 PM »

Been there done that RedFXR2. I've even been told nice sportster. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I just told the guy thanks.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2004, 11:57:56 PM »

I bought my bike from Monadnock Harley. They are the only MSRP dealer in the area. They told me they sell their allotment (for the quarter? year? not sure) in only a few days. They do not believe in the above MSRP sales thing and they don't need to pay sales people either. The bikes that are in demand are done by lottery. Think this year they did it differently--took names last year with deposits for the 05's. I almost did an all black 05 Deuce. They make their money in service. So sure they are order takers. When I said i was thinking about the CVO, he said not to take to much time as it wouldn't be on the floor for long.  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.03 seconds with 21 queries.