Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mobil 1 v-twin  (Read 4275 times)

Notah - AZ

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC 1005th Anniversary
    • Blog from last summer 17 day trip to Sturgis
Mobil 1 v-twin
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »

Is there anyone here running Mobil 1 V-Twin in all three holes.  I checked around the forum and found 1 post from 4 years ago about Molly buildup on the clutch plates from Mobil 1.

Thanks in advance...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Mobil 1 v-twin
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »

There are several I can think of that are.  Generally without issue.  Though I personally don't.

To my ears the gear boxes are a bit noisier with motor oil rather than gear oil.  Could be my imagination of course.  But my ears convince me otherwise.  Know of two cases (I was one of them) where clutch plates and synthetic engine oil didn't play well together either.  For what it's worth a good automatic transmission fluid is an inexpensive and effective alternative for use inside the primary.

Personally I don't use engine oil anywhere but the engine.  It's just not a big deal to keep the extra fluids around.  So using a fluid more accurately dedicated to the tasks they're doing is too small a hassle not to do.  Having said that, however, there's another reason that I like every bit as much for using the different fluids in different places.

Engine oil in the engine, ATF in the primary and Redline in the tranny.  They all look, feel, smell and taste different.  Obvious differentiation between them.  So when/if I ever have a leak I know what it is.  Don't have to worry about being fooled because a fluid ran down off something else other than its original source.  Self-diagnostic leaks are a wonderful way to be lazy.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »

:drink:
I run Mobil in all three.  No issues on any of my bikes.

Runs guieter than Syn 3.  Just kidding, with my Rineharts, I can't tell the difference. 

Went with Mobil versus Amsoil because you can buy Mobil One V Twin in lots of retail stores.

:coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 01:28:52 PM »

Don

What type of ATF are running in the primary?

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »

Don

What type of ATF are running in the primary?

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

For the disk types in our clutches the old Type F ATF would actually work quite well if someone is interested in an inexpensive option.  Barnett's engineers will suggest it's a good option also.  Aside from carrying away heat and being compatible with the clutch disks this fluid isn't pushed that hard for its service requirements.

Being the obsessive and worrying people we are it's hard to use a cheap old Type F ATF when we can so willingly spend a little more though. A very good option for our clutches is another product that's been around forever.  The old B&M Trick Shift.  It's available in a newer synthetic offering now also. 

My personal choices end up being Trick Shift or Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.  Both stand up to any temps they will (hopefully) ever see in our primaries.  They're good with the clutches too.  I use whichever of the two I can pick up cheapest when I get a case of 12.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »

I used Mobil 1 V-twin in all three for a while.  I noticed it was MUCH harder to get into neutral; to the point it almost went to the dealer to have them look at it.  Immediately after changing to Redline in the gearbox and primary the problem went away.  Not saying it will do any damage or hasn't worked for anyone else, that's just my experience.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »

I've been running Mobil 1 as follows with great results:

Engine  - V-Twin 20W50
Primary - Racing 4T 10W40
Trans   - Synthetic Gear Lube 75W90

I tried using the 75W140 but it wasn't necessary.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.