Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Which Tranny Screamin Eagle or Baker?  (Read 6099 times)

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce ! My Wife's !
Which Tranny Screamin Eagle or Baker?
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:59:26 AM »

I thinking about doing a 6 speed swap in my 04 Electra Glide I have already done the compensator (1 Tooth lower) and the front belt Pulley a 31t I love the low end and the roll on acceleration but I keep hunting another gear. I know I have enough motor to pull it ok but in you opinions is it worth the cost of the swap and where do you think my rpm's will be. Now at 70 I am still at 3k even with the pulley and sproket swap from what I have been reading on here that is about normal range on the rpm's tell me what you'all think   

Decano

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC2
Re: Which Tranny Screamin Eagle or Baker?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:58 AM »

I thinking about doing a 6 speed swap in my 04 Electra Glide I have already done the compensator (1 Tooth lower) and the front belt Pulley a 31t I love the low end and the roll on acceleration but I keep hunting another gear. I know I have enough motor to pull it ok but in you opinions is it worth the cost of the swap and where do you think my rpm's will be. Now at 70 I am still at 3k even with the pulley and sproket swap from what I have been reading on here that is about normal range on the rpm's tell me what you'all think   

I think this is one of the few sites you can say "tranny" and people actually think of transmissions.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »

I put a Baker DD6 in my bike, along with the lower gear ratio primary (new comp sprocket).
Many will disagree over the benefits of the 6-spd, but I like having the extra gear.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »

I put a Baker DD6 in my bike, along with the lower gear ratio primary (new comp sprocket).
Many will disagree over the benefits of the 6-spd, but I like having the extra gear.
Here is Duane's pictorial and write up,  a great read  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34600.0

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »

Leave it alone

You will never make up the fuel savings/cost of trany in the bikes lifetime

Some end up lugging the motor, doing more harm than good

JMHO

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »

I just did the SE 6-speed on my '04 SEEG this spring, leaving the comp and belt sprockets alone.  1,000 miles later, I love the thing.  If you like the stock 1-5 ratios, but want an OD sixth gear as I did, I think the SE's the one you want.

I don't think I gained even a tenth of a MPG with it, but the bike's a lot more enjoyable to run down the highway, anywhere from 65 on up, without any signs of lugging, which was the reason I made the switch, not because there's any financial ROI on the thing.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »

If you dont mind me asking what kind of cost did you have doing the swap (The Transmission + Labor) or did you do it yourself ? I have a friend with all of the tools needed to pull the gears and do the swap We have been in the Motor changing the Cams a Couple of times and changed the comp sproket and the rear pulley but have never been in a transmission. Im sure I can do it but my time is limited sometimes it may be better to pay to have it done   

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »

I had it done.  I got a discount on the parts and the shop I use has a very competitive labor rate, so it might be tough to make a fair comparison, but it was in the $2200 range for the gearset and labor to install.  Keep in mind there's some machining to the case that has to be done, as well, if going with the gearset, as opposed to the complete transmission.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »

If you dont mind me asking what kind of cost did you have doing the swap (The Transmission + Labor) or did you do it yourself ? I have a friend with all of the tools needed to pull the gears and do the swap We have been in the Motor changing the Cams a Couple of times and changed the comp sproket and the rear pulley but have never been in a transmission. Im sure I can do it but my time is limited sometimes it may be better to pay to have it done   

With the other chores you've mentioned doing already under your belt you shouldn't have any trouble changing a gear set.  The task isn't like rebuilding a gear set.   You won't have all the bits apart.  The guts of the tranny come out and go back in as an assembly.  After you've done the first one it's a Saturday afternoon job.  For you first one count on a Saturday afternoon and evening job.  With the right tools available no reason you should worry about doing it though.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »

Using the SE gearset requires case grinding as mentioned by Brian, once installed it is permanent.
The Baker requires no case mods and is a reversable installation.

MV 2013

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »

Thanks Guys for the info it will be helpfull in making my decision. If I do it I probally wont go back to the 5 speed so going the gear only route seems to be the best choice dollar wise. I have a question in the swap that Duane did with the the Baker I noticed that it came with new Primary Chain and new Compensator Sprocket what is the reason for changing those parts out ?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »

The Baker gear set is direct drive in 6th. The SE set is OD in 6th.
The Baker has a completely different set of gear ratios over stock. So to bring the overall ratio close in line to the stock trans the comp sprocket is larger.Overall the Baker and SE gear set will give you similar RPMs for a given speed.

You have a choice of a 27 or 28 tooth comp sprocket with the Baker. With the 27T the overall ratio is similar to the 3.37 gearing that was standard up to around 2003.
With th e28T it is similar to whatever the current ratio is.

I switched out my 28 for a 27 this past spring to give a little more bottom end and to more closely match the gear to my riding style.

MV 2013

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »

O.K. Thanks for that info also I will keep that in mind while I'm trying to decide whether to do it or not. Like I said in the original post I love the acceleration since the comp and front Sprocket change but find myself looking for another gear. If there is Anything else anyone can add to these comments let me know.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »

O.K. Thanks for that info also I will keep that in mind while I'm trying to decide whether to do it or not. Like I said in the original post I love the acceleration since the comp and front Sprocket change but find myself looking for another gear. If there is Anything else anyone can add to these comments let me know.

if you like the bottom end where it is now the HD gear set is st least a strong consideration. It'll keep the bottom end as it as, add the new gear at the top and do so for a lot less money. The notion of not being able to change back is a chimera. Who is going to go from a six speed back to five?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »

HD gear set = $2100, plus $300 hydraulic side cover ($100 less for non hydro)

$2100 for the kit from Eastern Performance (eBay), with free shipping and no tax. Buying the SE kit from the dealer would add an additional $170 for me.

Can't give a price on a new case though  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »

Personally, I try to stay away from any discussions involving trannys... I'm not into the whole being a man but dressing up like a woman thing.

No sir, not me.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:57 AM »

Thanks Duane I spoke to the Guy I use on my Engine Builds He said he was pretty sure he could give me 25% on the Parts He also has done several of these swaps and I will probally let him do mine when I make the decision .I am going to get him to check to be sure about the Discount and give me a Labor Quote.   
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.