Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 FXDSE Primary... Belt or Chain?  (Read 1365 times)

ScreaminHD

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
2007 FXDSE Primary... Belt or Chain?
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »

I'm new to Harley's and was wondering how my primary is driven? Was thinking about changing derby cover and didn't want to make a mess if there is fluid behind it. No inspection cover so that made me think it was belt driven but want to be sure. Thanks.
2007 HD FXDSE
Vance & Hines Big Radius, Power Commander, Misc. HD Accessories

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2007 FXDSE Primary... Belt or Chain?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »

I'm new to Harley's and was wondering how my primary is driven? Was thinking about changing derby cover and didn't want to make a mess if there is fluid behind it. No inspection cover so that made me think it was belt driven but want to be sure. Thanks.

It's still a chain drive, and there is more than a quart of fluid.  The inspection cover was removed a few years ago when H-D changed to an automatic chain tensioner.

The fluid level is low enough that just removing the derby cover won't cause fluid to run out.  In fact, the gasket covers the entire opening and usually stays in place until you peel it off after removing the cover.  If you have no need to inspect the clutch or add fluid, just leave the gasket in place and bolt up the new cover.  Don't overtighten the fasteners, the spec is 96 inch pounds.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ScreaminHD

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
Re: 2007 FXDSE Primary... Belt or Chain?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 03:20:46 PM »

Thanks, thats what i needed to know.  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 HD FXDSE
Vance & Hines Big Radius, Power Commander, Misc. HD Accessories

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.