Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Pre-2010 style compensator has MoCo issued guidance?  (Read 4571 times)

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
Pre-2010 style compensator has MoCo issued guidance?
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »

Has the MoCo issued guidance on replacing the pre-2010 110" motor compensators with 2010 updated units when they come in with issues?  I'd like to have something in hand from the MoCo as the two dealers within 100 miles always either play dumb...or ARE dumb when it comes to MoCo bulletins and such.

I've had multiple issues with my starter kicking back & disengaging.  First,  they replaced gear, then the whole starter from paint peeling (couldn't match) and later on the compensator nut came loose and it sounded like all hell broke loose in my primary.  Tightened nut.

Now, my starter kickback issue is back and I'm getting a growling sound from the primary when the bike is idling and in neutral.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Pre-2010 style compensator has MoCo issued guidance?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »

Haven't personally seen or heard of any official bulletins, but several people on this site have had the new compensator installed under warranty when addressing the repetitive starting and primary noise issues.  If the dealership plays dumb (yes, I'm quite aware that it isn't "playing" for many/most of them), pick up the phone and call H-D Customer Service.  Might even want to have the information already saved in your phone so you can dial them up standing right in front of the service manager.  Save a lot of he said/he didn't say BS.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:46:52 AM »

Haven't personally seen or heard of any official bulletins, but several people on this site have had the new compensator installed under warranty when addressing the repetitive starting and primary noise issues.  If the dealership plays dumb (yes, I'm quite aware that it isn't "playing" for many/most of them), pick up the phone and call H-D Customer Service.  Might even want to have the information already saved in your phone so you can dial them up standing right in front of the service manager.  Save a lot of he said/he didn't say BS.

Jerry

And to add to what Jerry said above,
Go back thru the compensator post(s) and make a note of dealers that have installed the compensators under warranty in members bikes.
When your dealer is saying we can't do that under warranty ask them why those (listed) dealers did?
Once 1 dealer installed the compensator under warranty there was no going back.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »

Well, I just called Customer Service and got a reference #.  I'll take the bike up to the local dealer at lunch and see what they say.  Probably set me up with an appt to drop off. 

The rep seemed to be more concerned about the growling sound while in neutral than the starter kickback...said it might be main bearing! :'(

krautdog

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »

Please share if you have or get a bulletin number about the SE compensator, I called customer service and was told the klunking at start is normal and they won't do a thing for it with my 09 SEUC. I said that the 10 has the new SE compesator and she said again that they won't do a thing for me with my compesator and that the clunking was "Normal". To say I was a little perturbed was an understatement. She spoke to me like I was a 5 year old. and just kept repeating over and over. So please share any info you get. I would love to call them back with a some info. Sounds like the new SE compensator has helped allot of owners on this site with starting issues. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:18:05 AM by krautdog »

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:40:07 AM »

Please share if you have or get a bulletin number about the SE compensator, I called customer service and was told the klunking at start is normal and they won't do a thing for it with my 09 SEUC. I said that the 10 has the new SE compesator and she said again that they won't do a thing for me with my compesator and that the clunking was "Normal". To say I was a little perturbed was an understatement. She spoke to me like I was a 5 year old. and just kept repeating over and over. So please share any info you get. I would love to call them back with a some info. Sounds like the new SE compensator has helped allot of owners on this site with starting issues. Thanks!

I got the same run around, installed my own and now all is well. Doc.  4 hrs start to finish.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »

If you only mention a "clunk", you will get the standard answer that the young lady was reading to you from her computer screen, and it's the same answer they put out shortly after the launch of the 2007's.  The clunk is "normal".  Unfortunately, lots of chitty stuff is "normal" with a Harley, but that doesn't make it "acceptable".

They know perfectly well that the compensator design was junk from the git-go, and the fact that they finally made the SE design standard in 2010 tells me that they finally decided it was cheaper to upgrade the stock setup versus paying to fix all those starters.

Is your only issue right now the clunking sound?  Or do you have the actual starting issues, with kickback and failure to start and grinding noises and all the other stuff?  I think if you just call complaining about the clunk you will just get the standard answer, but if you have actual starter failures and other potentially expensive failures they will be more inclined to upgrade the compensator as part of the total repair to save themselves multiple repairs and dollars.  At least that seems to be what has been reported by many of the folks who have had such repairs made recently.  But if you just call wanting a free upgrade because you've read about others getting one, and you don't really have a starter or starting problem, it's highly unlikely they will offer to upgrade your compensator.  They, and most other manufacturer's, don't normally work that way.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

krautdog

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:21:45 AM »

Thanks. I only have the clunk, no starting issues yet. Good thing I have the 5 year extended warranty. Looks like I will just put the SE Compensator on my Christmas list.  :2vrolijk_21:

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:34:04 AM »

I just got off the phone with Tech Support about the Clacking noise I get in neutral when the bike is hot. I was informed that on my 2010 SEUC that I have the standard compensator and that in 2011 is when Harley installed the newer SE Compensator stock in the CVO's and others. He told me it was normal and that it was not doing any damage when its Clacking. I guess I am at a loss for words and I will have to get used to the Clacking
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:02:18 PM by DESERTBEAR54 »
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »

My 2009 has has two clutch baskets, two clutch bearings and one starter. Still has the problem. Bike has 26,800 miles and has had problems from mile 1000. HD is being real nice about wanting to get it fixed. The option (my Attorney tells me) is for HD to take back the bike using the lemon law. HD hopes to have an answer for me today. After today the Attorney will get involved if there is not a plan I agree with.
Bill

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »

I just got off the phone with Tech Support about the Clacking noise I get in neutral when the bike is hot. I was informed that on my 2010 SEUC that I have the standard compensator and that in 2011 is when Harley installed the newer SE Compensator stock in the CVO's and others. He told me it was normal and that it was not doing any damage when its Clacking. I guess I am at a loss for words and I will have to get used to the Clacking

The info you have is wrong on the 2010 CVO touring bikes. The have the upgraded compensator as stock. Also the trikes recieved the same treatment.  Doc

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Scorcher
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 - Titanium
    • CVO3: 2009 FLSTFSE3
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 08:32:29 AM »

Made the call yesterday to Harley Customer Service....  I explained that 1 in 5 times I'm getting a very loud 'kick-back' then the bike won't start, also an extremely loud bang when it doesn't fire, then the bike cranks repeatedly before it will start.   Explained about the loose metallic sound in the primary, and was told all of this is 'normal' for a CVO 110 motor.  Told there are no known issues with the old Compensator.   Was given a reference number and sent on my way......   
V&H Power Duals, CFR's - basically stock

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:53 AM »

Tell HD you know me and they are full of crap.
Bill

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »

Tell HD you know me and they are full of crap.

Muddy

Can I try that also?

:nervous: :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »

John M at HD is the one that knows all about my bike and the starting problems. Call him and tell him you talked to me.
Bill

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »

I got the same run around, installed my own and now all is well. Doc.  4 hrs start to finish.

Did it the same way Doc.. Problem solved

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 08:32:18 AM »

Just was at dealer . I told tech of starting issues for a year but it would not do it for him. Today I was by dealer with tech and asked to listen. The bike did not start and it had kickback. he said he would fix under extended warranty. I would have to pay difference for SE compensator.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »

Why should you have to pay the difference, it's warranty   they should cover it all except $50
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »

I was going to pay for the upgrade to the Se part. Not sure if they will pay , I am still working  on that with the SM he is very helpfull So I will find out next week  Woodstock HD has always been very helpful it is the MOCO that is the problem, If it wasn't for the service dept I would have been looking for a different bike years ago.      Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 12:44:05 PM »

I was going to pay for the upgrade to the Se part. Not sure if they will pay , I am still working  on that with the SM he is very helpfull So I will find out next week  Woodstock HD has always been very helpful it is the MOCO that is the problem, If it wasn't for the service dept I would have been looking for a different bike years ago.      Billy
If I'm not mistaken you will pay the difference to upgrade a part on (regular or extended) warranty work unless upgraded part was put on at the time of purchasing the bike new.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »

That is what I thought and that is fair to me.  Billy

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 01:10:04 PM »

That is what I thought and that is fair to me.  Billy
That it is :2vrolijk_21:... I've been hoping my starter would chit the bed so I could pay the difference and get a chrome one... hasn't done it yet... and probably will not do it until warranty expires. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mud man

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 silver
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »

If you guys can upgrade to better parts and only pay the difference I am envious. was told at the stealer today that SE compensator upgrade for my worn 09 one would cost me $300 cdn plus installation (starter kicks back almost every time) oh and I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN! You would think they would at least cover the labour :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:00:53 PM by mud man »
it ain't about getting to the grave in a perfectly preserved body it's about sliding in sideways saying  WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »

My dealer in IL said that it would be under warranty and I would pay the difference  for the compensator. Not sure what the difference would be. I would call HD and complain. The bike should not kick back and not start.  Billy
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.