Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary Belt Drive Help! Pro's and Con's  (Read 2009 times)

Bart Man

• 2002 Road King Screamin Eagle CVO
    • http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww55/Bdonzi11/100_1321.jpg
Primary Belt Drive Help! Pro's and Con's
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »

:nixweiss: How you guy's doing , I have a 2002 SERK , that needs an shifter shaft seal replaced and since everything was going to be taken apart I thought I order a chrome inner primary, I love the look of the open belt drive on these bike specifically the one the PRIMO makes ( Brute IV Extreme ) , what are the pro's and con's of the belt drive , and do I still need an inner primary cover.Lets keep in mind also that there is nothing wrong with my chain or clutch , nor am I any kind of speed demon, I just like the looks and like to have something different then the rest. I much rather reliability than looks . Thanks for your inputs!    :huepfenjump3:

2002 Road King Screamin Eagle
95 CI
1550 CC
Drag Specialty Seat
Samson Silver Bullet Exhaust
Cycle Sound Sound System 50W x 2 amplifier , With SIRIUS Satellite Radio Stiletto 2
Custom Auxiliary Lighting From Harley
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
K & N Stage II Air Cleaner
Costum Chrome Console
Metzeler ME 880 Marathon Touring Tires

gaphatty

Re: Primary Belt Drive Help! Pro's and Con's
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »

I'm with you - I think it's a great look and adds a little character to a bagger.

I previously installed a 2-inch DBL on my '05 Fat Boy which allowed me to keep everything where it was (floorboards, etc.).  A new belt drive will come with a motor plate that takes the place of your inner primary.  I also have a 3: DBL on my custom chopper - will chew on your shoes just a bit sometimes  ;D

From my experience and some of those around the Indy shop where I frequent:

Pros:   :2vrolijk_21:

Appearance,
sound (unmistakable sound like a blower almost),
no more primary fluids,
no more primary chain adjustment issues,
elimination of troublesome compensator sprocket,
feels more responsive to throttle,
some claim gained HP due to reduction in rotating mass

Cons:   :nervous:

Sound (some don't like it - you'll get more pronounced clutch basket rattle, etc.),
no compensator - even though these have been troublesome they do smooth out the transitions from standstill to a slow roll,
watch your gear ratios - depending on the product you purchase, it MAY cause a change in your overall gear ratios (in my case it made my gearing too tall for the Fat Boy)

Do your research and it can definitely be a good thing!  Good luck with the project - and by the way, this is typically NOT a difficult change.

gaphatty

Re: Primary Belt Drive Help! Pro's and Con's
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:16 AM »

Here's a picture of the Fat Boy after I added the 2" BDL - traded this bike on the current SESG

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.