Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary fluid / clutch drag  (Read 5405 times)

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
Primary fluid / clutch drag
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »

I have run Red Line oil, MTL primary. and Heavy Duty Shockproof in the trans. of my last 2 bikes, and have been satisfied with the results.  However on my current '08 RG, I am getting some clutch drag to the point that the bike will jump forward a bit when I put it in gear.  It is also louder than it should be when engaging 1st gear from a stop, and the clutch is adjusted to the point of no slack in the cable.  I was curious if changing the primary fluid to an ATF type would help with the clutch drag issue.  I'm thinking this is the root cause of the other 2 issues.  I have read that some are using an ATF fluid in the primary, so I thought I would give it a try.  What brands/types would you recommend, or have you had good luck with?

Thanks -

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Primary fluid / clutch drag
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:57:55 PM »

I have run Red Line oil, MTL primary. and Heavy Duty Shockproof in the trans. of my last 2 bikes, and have been satisfied with the results.  However on my current '08 RG, I am getting some clutch drag to the point that the bike will jump forward a bit when I put it in gear.  It is also louder than it should be when engaging 1st gear from a stop, and the clutch is adjusted to the point of no slack in the cable.  I was curious if changing the primary fluid to an ATF type would help with the clutch drag issue.  I'm thinking this is the root cause of the other 2 issues.  I have read that some are using an ATF fluid in the primary, so I thought I would give it a try.  What brands/types would you recommend, or have you had good luck with?

Thanks -

Bill

First, have you checked the pushrod adjustment on the clutch?  Even if you run the cable with near zero free play, if the pushrod adjustment isn't right the clutch can still drag.  Proper method involves adjusting the cable for max freeplay first so it won't affect the pushrod adjustment, then adjust the pushrod, then set the final cable free play.  I'm not certain anymore of the pushrod spec, but I seem to remember it being between 1/2 and 1 turn out from lightly seated, and I always cheated toward the tighter end of the range.  If your clutch still drags severely with everything adjusted properly, you may have some warped plates.

As for the primary fluid, I'm one of those who has been running ATF and I've found it to be a big improvement over all the other fluids I've tried over many years.  I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, others have also recommended a synthetic from Amsoil.  No fluid is going to solve all the issues of the Harley clutch and trans designs, but I've found less drag and less harsh engagement with less clunk, and less of a change in clutch operation over a wider operating temperature range.  No downside to report so far.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:28:27 PM »

Thanks Jerry -

Mobil 1, I couldn't remember which brand of ATF I saw posted a while back...CRS disease!  I'll check the clutch plates, but I don't expect any issues there.  In the past when there were warped or burned plates, I could feel a minor pulsing in the clutch lever or a non-linear engagement of the clutch - my lever is smooth from fully disengaged to fully engaged.  But you never know.

I also have to use the large SAC grips because I have large hands with long fingers. Those large grips restrict how much travel the lever has when pulled fully against the grip.  I'm hoping it is a fluid or adjustment issue, if it is the grips I have a whole new can of worms to sort out!

Thanks for the response.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »

Proper level of Primary fluid affects clutch drag.  Overfilling causes the symptom you are seeing.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »

And just to throw another monkey wrench into the mix Bandit recommends 14oz of primary fluid. I tried this and it makes finding neutral much easier, however i thought it increased in noise. At the time i was using all Redline products and their primary fluid is a thin (aft) like synthetic oil. With the lower level, new parts from a complete rebuild (ie new clutch) the oil i changed was VERY dirty. I attribute this to the clutch running in and the low oil level. I'm now running amsoil 20-50 in the primary at the normal level and all is well except finding neutral is hard again and when you first take off in the morning you can feel the clutch drag until it warms up,then it's fine drag-wise but finding neutral is still a bitch. The clutch has over 4 thousand miles on it now so i might go back to the redline primary at normal harley level next, and see if finding neutral is easier and re-asses the noise.
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »

10/30 Royal Purple....... No drag, even on the coldest of days
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:52:18 PM »

Bandit recommends 14oz of primary fluid. I tried this and it makes finding neutral much easier, however i thought it increased in noise. At the time i was using all Redline products and their primary fluid is a thin (aft) like synthetic oil.

Wow - 14 oz., that's quite a bit less than the 32 oz. stated for a wet service replacement.  Not sure I could make myself run mine with less than half the recommended level.  I would think the clutch was running REAL hot.  Makes you wonder what Bandit uses for their clutch plate material.

I picked up a quart of Mobil 1 syn ATF today, so I'll get it changed this week and see if it makes any difference.  If that doesn't make it right, I'll try UFO_HOG's Royal Purple 10/30.  AT $8 a shot, I'll change it till it works right.  This '08 has the loudest "clunk", and most drag of my last 3 Harleys.  As a note, I have had the same SAC grips on all 3 bikes, so I don't think they are the problem.

Oh well, this might turn into a winter project to find the best primary fluid in regard to my drag & clunk!

Thanks for the info.

Bill

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »

Been using regular old Dextron ATF in the clutch for years.   :2vrolijk_21:

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »

Update -

I switched the primary fluid from Redline MTL to Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Sunday.  Got it good and hot, and let it drain for 30 minutes, so I think I got most of the MTL out, at least as much as possible without pulling the outer primary cover.  Rode for 15 miles or so, and I definitely think the "clunk" is better, shifting is quieter, and I can now find neutral at will.  Before I had to be going from 2nd to neutral, could not find it going up from 1st.  So my initial impression is that ATF works better in my '08 primary than MTL.  It will be interesting to see if the effect changes when the clutch plates run in the new ATF for an extended period. Time will tell.

Bill

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.