Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Depreciation galore  (Read 8434 times)

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
Depreciation galore
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »

Well, I have been trying to trade or sell my 2010 flstse for a week now and the very best offer I got for her is 21k. The thing is spotless, 3800 miles, 2k in upgrades and doesn't even need a bath. Looks like this bike was the worse bike purchase ever.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Depreciation galore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

You take the biggest loss the first year of ownership......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »

Well, I have been trying to trade or sell my 2010 flstse for a week now and the very best offer I got for her is 21k. The thing is spotless, 3800 miles, 2k in upgrades and doesn't even need a bath. Looks like this bike was the worse bike purchase ever.

Unfortunately the $2k in upgrades don't mean squat to resale.  The rest is a used bike losing 25% of original MSRP as a wholesale trade value for rolling out the door.  While it might be unpleasant it's not unexpected or surprising.

Fortunately a week isn't any time at all for a vehicle sale.  Push it awhile longer and hopefully you'll find an interested individual buyer willing to go a higher.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

You take the biggest loss the first year of ownership......
Yes, you do take the biggest hit in the first year.  Last time I did that was about 20 some years ago and guess I had forgotten how much it hurt.  Not sure what you are doing next, but if you are looking at the '11 convertible you can just change that stuff over to the new bike, most of it.  In my case I had $2600 worth of parts I bought and realized I wouldn't get anything out of them so just kept them.  In my book, that raised the value of my deal by $2600 because I would have bought it again new on my '11.  Now I received 22K for my trade but they knocked off $1000 of the ship/prep price.  And of course you don't pay sales tax on the 21K they will give you for your trade.  Add up those things and crunch the numbers again and maybe you will feel better.  Also, don't cry over spilt milk....pick up the pieces and keep going forward.  Yes, some models will be worth more and some will be worth less down the road.  But they all start off being worthless a year later........ha!   

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »

Sell it yourself. You should be able to get a minimum of $23,500 on a retail deal . Any dealer offering you $21k doesn't deserve to get the bike.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:06:14 PM by pm203 »

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »

If it were 10 years ago, you would have likely got what you paid for it, maybe more.  But, times are tough for everything these days, and used Harleys have not held a good resale as they did just 2-3 years ago.  All used Harley resale prices are down, bare fact.  And, its a buyers market, with so many used bikes out there.  CVo will fare a bit better than a Street Glide, which despite a large number produced, there is high demand for that model.

I also agree, a week is not a good barometer of what the market will pay.  But also keep in mind, its the worst time of year to sell a bike, with winter coming on and the lowest demand for a bike, new or used.  If you can, list it online at a good price and decline offers until you get one close to what you want.  But, be prepared to wait until spring for it, because thats when the buyers start to come out of hibernation.

You might get lucky with a buyer coming from the southern states, however.  So, dont get discouraged but prepare for a long haul.  Its just how things are right now.

Dennis

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:09:55 PM »

I know the first year is the biggest hit but 25% on a CVO is insane. I traded a 2 year old Ultra to get this bike and I got $1500 less than I paid for it. A friend traded a 1 yr. old Sportster 1200 Custom and got $1800 less than he paid. NADA dealer's book shows 20k trade value but 26k retail. Dealers actually expect to make 6k on a used bike sale? They rape you at both ends. I am looking to get into an Ultra again because I miss the extras and the ride. I do have it listed on several sites and holding out for 24k but it probably wont happen in this economy. Live and learn.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »

It only takes one person to realize the value in your bike. And, that particular person will be glad because they are saving a bundle. But, you have to remain optimistic and be patient.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »

Sell it yourself. You should be able to get a minimum of $23,500 on a retail deal . Any dealer offering you $21k doesn't deserve to get the bike.
Just picked up a Brand New left over 2010 (Orange/Silver/Black) 2 weeks ago for $24k + TTL.  So I don't think $21,000 is a bad offer (unless you paid sticker...)

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »

EZ, on a positive note, if you are buying an Ultra this year, its a slow time for dealers too..so, you might get a great deal on it, and maybe the bite wont be nearly as bad.

My dealer has a '10 CONV in Blue and would like to get 25k for it.  71 miles on her.  The moved it from my local area shop to the main shop (30miles north) last week, so when I went to look at it Saturday, it wasnt there.  Good thing, cause I might have, might have.  lol

Good luck and hold out for a good offer.  I hope you get what you want out of it.

Dennis

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »

Just picked up a Brand New left over 2010 (Orange/Silver/Black) 2 weeks ago for $24k + TTL.  So I don't think $21,000 is a bad offer (unless you paid sticker...)

You found a dealer who was desperate. Not all dealers are. There is no way I would sell it for 21k. I still feel that this offer is light. And, by the way, you got an awesome deal.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »

the 2010 was never released in australia , so i cannot compare, but i would say with all due respect that to those who bought the 2010 model, would the depreciation be much greater than the 2011 model , as the new on is so far ahead technology wise, eg  ABS  cruise control, built in stereo,
imho the depreciation on this model will be less,
bearing in mind that some of our members have already traded in their 2010 on a 2011, talk to the porkster who has done this

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »

Come talk to us SE Deuce owners if you want to complain about depreciation. These are selling for the same amount as the standard Deuces and often less than 1/2 of what we paid out the door.  Anyone buying one of these pigs thinking they're an investment is seriously misinformed. Imho, the CVO's depreciate way more than the standard bikes. I've got a buddy who buys a standard Ultra every few years, never does any mods, runs the crap out of it for ~50,000 miles, and gets 70 to 75% of what he paid new on trade for the next one. I'm starting to warm up to that idea....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:28:21 PM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »

just had a thought,
depreciation is like stocks and shares, only go down when you sell em,
paid $25000 15 years ago , dealer offered me $13000 when i bought the new convertinble, i chose to keep it
but can get around $18000 privately,
going to try and keep both, depends if i ride both
depends on the wife , and how much she is on my back

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 08:40:42 PM »

Not to stir a pot here, since its my intent to buy CVO next, and maybe all future bikes, but....

Another site I am on for years mostly consider CVO a waste of money and for RUBs, not actual real riders.  I know, thats BS, but I am only stating my observaton of their attitude, not my own.  Comments like a CVO cant be found with over 1,000 actual road miles on it, the rest is dyno mileage, and such crap like that.  I suspect there are a number of HD riders that think a CVO is only for the rich, or RUB or posers, which might explain lower demand.

That and that many like to do their own customization rather than by a bike with a lot of the customization done for them.  I have seen others state if they want a custom, they would buy a Big Dog, Bourget, etc, rather than a HD.

To each his own.  Personally, I have always like the CVO lineup since inception.  I also used to like to customize my bike on my own.  But, as I get older, I just want to ride and to heck with working on the bike, other than oil changes and clutch adjustments.  Tired of futzing.  When I buy a CVO, I cant care less if some azzhat thins I am a RUB, poser, or whatever.  Its their problem, not mine.

Anyway, this might help explain the lower values, but nothing impacts them as much as todays economy and the used bike market.  Everything is down.  I just sold my 103 RG (07) for $14.2K and lost a bit of money on it, that I wouldnt have 3-4 years ago.  Thats just the market today, like it or not.  If I was uptight about it, I would have held the bike a few more years to see what happens.  But, who knows that it will come back?  If you know, please PM me the Powerball numbers for the draw this Saturday, please.  Cus I need a new CVO.  lol
Dennis

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »

Not to stir a pot here, since its my intent to buy CVO next, and maybe all future bikes, but....

Another site I am on for years mostly consider CVO a waste of money and for RUBs, not actual real riders.  I know, thats BS, but I am only stating my observaton of their attitude, not my own.  Comments like a CVO cant be found with over 1,000 actual road miles on it, the rest is dyno mileage, and such crap like that.  I suspect there are a number of HD riders that think a CVO is only for the rich, or RUB or posers, which might explain lower demand.

That and that many like to do their own customization rather than by a bike with a lot of the customization done for them.  I have seen others state if they want a custom, they would buy a Big Dog, Bourget, etc, rather than a HD.

To each his own.  Personally, I have always like the CVO lineup since inception.  I also used to like to customize my bike on my own.  But, as I get older, I just want to ride and to heck with working on the bike, other than oil changes and clutch adjustments.  Tired of futzing.  When I buy a CVO, I cant care less if some azzhat thins I am a RUB, poser, or whatever.  Its their problem, not mine.

Anyway, this might help explain the lower values, but nothing impacts them as much as todays economy and the used bike market.  Everything is down.  I just sold my 103 RG (07) for $14.2K and lost a bit of money on it, that I wouldnt have 3-4 years ago.  Thats just the market today, like it or not.  If I was uptight about it, I would have held the bike a few more years to see what happens.  But, who knows that it will come back?  If you know, please PM me the Powerball numbers for the draw this Saturday, please.  Cus I need a new CVO.  lol
Dennis

I think I know the site you mean...there are some comments made that I have to just ignore or I would get too worked up about them..who cares what they think.....ride what you want..that's the name of the game.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:51 PM »

Alot of these people are just jealous. Who wouldn't want to start out with a CVO if they could? You see them at the dealership staring at the CVO's. Since its out of their league, they just bad mouth the bikes and their owners. That's how they justify the fact that they don't own one. I don't do alot of miles, but when I open the garage door, it makes me smile. Its called pride of ownership. That's one of the things that really make the CVO's special and purposeful. And as far as depreciation? Try high performance boating. It makes the depreciation of these bikes look like the bargain of the century.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:00:24 PM by pm203 »

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »

who cares what anyone else thinks, i get as much pleasure today as 15 years ago when i first straddled my custom softail, just remember the harley adage
"if i have to explain you wouldnt understand"
we have a passion for harleys , someone else has a passion for stamps or football or racehorses, what does it matter ,  we enjoy it . it costs money, yiou forget about it once it is spent. dont worry about what youre gonna get on the resale....... cars depreciate twice as fast...... cancel that about six times as fast

TBATFAN

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Con V Crimson
    • CVO2: 2008 FDXSE2 Screamin Eagle Dyna 287/1050
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »

Here is my story:
  I owned a 2007 Electra-glide out right, bought it brand new in '07 and paid $17,650. In march this year I paid $21,500 for a 2008 screamin eagle dyna with 93 miles on it. That's the good parts..........
  My wife and I fell in love with the 2010 CVO ConV, so my bright idea was to trade in both bike for the ConV. The dealer gave me $11,500 for the glide ( which I thought was reasonable , the bike had 14k ) . But the Dyna was what cost me........$15k for a bike I had owned less than 6 months!!!!!

The touring bike had depreciated much less in 3 years than the Dyna SE!!!  Live and learn!!!!

Got to be happy with the ConV , I am gonna keep this one for a while!!!!!!
2007 Electra Glide Classic ( My Geezer Glide )
Dark Cherry
2008 FXDSE2 Screamin Eagle Dyna
Anniversary Edition 287/1050
2010 CVO ConV Crimson

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »

That's the spirit - Buy what you like and can afford, and ride the chit out of it.  The best way to combat depreciation is to amortize that over many, many miles donning a silly grin the whole way.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »

My next bike will be a CVO (Ultra or RG????)....probably (slightly) used as I can import it to Canada easier than a new one...for now I am happy with my 103" in my Ultra...really I am happy...if I keep telling myself...

WARNING: Areas of floor adjacent to Harley Davidson CVOs may be slippery ( I drool!)
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »

You found a dealer who was desperate. Not all dealers are. There is no way I would sell it for 21k. I still feel that this offer is light. And, by the way, you got an awesome deal.

Found a 2010 Crimson for $23,800 + TTL 2 days before at another dealer.  Invoice on the 2010 bike is $23,000  so at sticker the dealer is making a killing.  Tack on some bogus "freight and set-up" fee and the dealer is laughing his a$$ off as soon as you drive off the lot.  It will be no different with the 2011 models.  If you are going to buy one wait until October 2011 and you will get a smokin' deal. 

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »

Another important factor you have to remember when trading in/selling your bike is what is popular in the area/market your selling in?  Currently, and this is no slight to anyone, baggers (Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Glides, etc) are the movers where I'm at.  Unfortunately, you see the convertibles (new and used alike) sitting for months on the floor waiting to be sold around here, just like the SE Fat Bobs.  When I took my 07 SEUC down and traded it for my RUSE, they didn't even put it into service to have it checked over, they just rolled in on the floor and sold it within 5 hours of it hitting the floor.  (Of course it didn't hurt that they knew how I take care of my bikes and that all the service had been done at their dealership.)  My 08 Street Glide that I put on consignment to get my 10 SESG lasted two days on the floor before it was sold and my 02 Ultra that I traded in on the 07 SEUC lasted all of two days before it was sold.  The market around here, and, from what I've read, across most of the country, currently is for baggers.  You're going to get a higher trade in from the dealers, or higher private resale, with a bagger because they are the most popular Harleys right now and dealers know they can turn them around relatively quickly.  Again, no slight, but putting saddle bags and a tiny wind deflector on a softtail, does not a bagger make.  JMO.  

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »

Another important factor you have to remember when trading in/selling your bike is what is popular in the area/market your selling in?  Currently, and this is no slight to anyone, baggers (Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Glides, etc) are the movers where I'm at.  Unfortunately, you see the convertibles (new and used alike) sitting for months on the floor waiting to be sold around here, just like the SE Fat Bobs.  When I took my 07 SEUC down and traded it for my RUSE, they didn't even put it into service to have it checked over, they just rolled in on the floor and sold it within 5 hours of it hitting the floor.  (Of course it didn't hurt that they knew how I take care of my bikes and that all the service had been done at their dealership.)  My 08 Street Glide that I put on consignment to get my 10 SESG lasted two days on the floor before it was sold and my 02 Ultra that I traded in on the 07 SEUC lasted all of two days before it was sold.  The market around here, and, from what I've read, across most of the country, currently is for baggers.  You're going to get a higher trade in from the dealers, or higher private resale, with a bagger because they are the most popular Harleys right now and dealers know they can turn them around relatively quickly.  Again, no slight, but putting saddle bags and a tiny wind deflector on a softtail, does not a bagger make.  JMO.  

I never paid much attention in school but I think you just accurately described supply and demand.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »

Another important factor you have to remember when trading in/selling your bike is what is popular in the area/market your selling in? .  

So very true. Springers are soft in the NH area so I am told.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »

who cares about depreciation, you have bought a bike that you like , not just cos you will get abetter trade in next year,
i bought my first 42 inch plasma for $9,000 , now i can buy a better bigger one for a tenth of the price, but i wanted it then.

live with it

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »

who cares about depreciation, you have bought a bike that you like , not just cos you will get abetter trade in next year,
i bought my first 42 inch plasma for $9,000 , now i can buy a better bigger one for a tenth of the price, but i wanted it then.

live with it

Well said!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »

As a matter of percentages, what would a one year old auto bring you on a trade ? I've got a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-6 with every single option Mitsubishi offered in 08 except GPS. Orginal price was just a few bucks shy of $35,000. The vehicle has 27,000 miles on it and would only need a good detail job and new tires to pass as brand new. The dealership where I bought it offered me $12k for it in trade. That was last April and obviously, I'm still pissed off. Bottom line is the minute you ride/drive away with a new vehicle you lose at least 1/3rd of the sticker price.It's why financial experts recommend buying two year old vehicles vice new ones. 

B B

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »

As a matter of percentages, what would a one year old auto bring you on a trade ? I've got a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-6 with every single option Mitsubishi offered in 08 except GPS. Orginal price was just a few bucks shy of $35,000. The vehicle has 27,000 miles on it and would only need a good detail job and new tires to pass as brand new. The dealership where I bought it offered me $12k for it in trade. That was last April and obviously, I'm still pissed off. Bottom line is the minute you ride/drive away with a new vehicle you lose at least 1/3rd of the sticker price.It's why financial experts recommend buying two year old vehicles vice new ones. 

B B
In your case, you lost alot of money as soon as you took delivery of your new vehicle. And, in alot higher percentage than your average vehicle. Not that your Mitsu is a bad vehicle. Its just a unpopular car in a very slow market segment. From Audi TT's and Porsche Caymans to BMW Z-4's ,that segment is dead right now. If you had purchased a new Audi S5 for instance, you may have only lost 20% or so. And, that also gets mirrored to the bike market. Certain HD's and Ducati's for instance bring more money and hold better resale than others. In the end, you have to buy what you like. Buying for resale sounds nice, but really doesn't make sense when talking about buying  something as a toy or for your hobby.

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 09:26:35 PM »

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first post but the second one should have cleared things up a bit. This model has a far greater depreciation rate than other HD's, which caught me by surprise I guess. Compared to other HD's I have owned I would take the worse beating on what I thought was going to be the best return. Like I said, live and learn.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »

. This model has a far greater depreciation rate than other HD's, which caught me by surprise I guess.

While the Conv may not be as popular as the Touring bikes, I am not so sure the depreciation factor on this model vs others is as bad as you say it is. Time will tell.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first post but the second one should have cleared things up a bit. This model has a far greater depreciation rate than other HD's, which caught me by surprise I guess. Compared to other HD's I have owned I would take the worse beating on what I thought was going to be the best return. Like I said, live and learn.

I hear you and in my case, had traded an 03 Spyder in for the 08. The 03 had 82,000 miles on it, the main interface gasket between the engine and trans was shot and oil was leaking all over the place and still I got $10k for a 5 year old vehicle. I figured that made that model a good buy. Anyway, this site isn't about cars it's about motorcycles and to be honest, I wasn't aware of the difference in trade-in values of some CVO's compared to others. I figured it was relative to original price.

B B

chywy

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »

[/b]

I think you should hang onto the bike.  I've got 800 miles and was offered 40K for the bike because it was the last of the "hand made" cvo's - For 2011 they started down the assembly line.

So consider it an investment - just like gold - and hang on to it.

CHYWY

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 09:09:12 AM »

[/b]

I think you should hang onto the bike.  I've got 800 miles and was offered 40K for the bike because it was the last of the "hand made" cvo's - For 2011 they started down the assembly line.

So consider it an investment - just like gold - and hang on to it.

CHYWY

If you were offered $40K you should have jumped on it.  You could have come here (VA) and bought a new one off the showroom floor for under MSRP after the 2011s came out.  You may think you have an investment like gold, but to be honest, I think you have gold-clad lead there. Also, just an FYI, they were hand assembled, not hand made.  If you've ever toured the plant, you see that technically, all HDs are hand assembled.  The only difference the CVOs were hand assembled by teams of 2 to 4 people, instead of stations along the assembly line.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:11:47 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »

If you were offered $40K you should have jumped on it.  You could have come here (VA) and bought a new one off the showroom floor for under MSRP after the 2011s came out.  You may think you have an investment like gold, but to be honest, I think you have gold-clad lead there. Also, just an FYI, they were hand assembled, not hand made.  If you've ever toured the plant, you see that technically, all HDs are hand assembled.  The only difference the CVOs were hand assembled by teams of 2 to 4 people, instead of stations along the assembly line.

I agree.  If someone offered me $40K I would jump it and buy a leftover (Mile High HD has a Blue one in Denver) or a new 2011.  But then, I dont care how they are made, just as long as its not a lemon.  After 6 HD's, I am not emotionally attached to my bikes anymore, since my first (a Fatboy, wish I never sold it!).  Its just a bike, though IMO the best in the world to me!

Chy, hope you get some riding time in up there this winter.  You guys already have gotten a lot of snow this fall.

Dennis

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »

[/b]

I think you should hang onto the bike.  I've got 800 miles and was offered 40K for the bike because it was the last of the "hand made" cvo's - For 2011 they started down the assembly line.

Chy, are you saying your specific bike was the very last of the 2010's to be made??  And for that reason somone offered you $40 large???   Doesn't sound like that's the going rate for other '10 convertibles.   Pork.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »

After 6 HD's, I am not emotionally attached to my bikes anymore
Dennis

Probably the best thing I've read anywhere that describes the current decline of the H-D "mystique"

B B

chywy

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »

Love all the comments - and hate all the snow and sub zero temps that we are already in the midst of - and I bet there is jus a bit of snow at Highland Ranch :)

My point is if you are going to pay a hefty penny for a limited edition anything - and I would call 1 of 2800 - a limited edition - and you could probably narrow that down based on the color of a particular model- maybe you own 1 of only 800 that were made - hand made, hand assembled - you need to carry that same HD marketing mystique to the after market as well.

You can't pump this sunshine up a dealers heavy breather - but you can point out the exclusivity of the bike you are selling to the general public and most likely someone will
appreciate owning a bike that's not like everyone elses.

Ride safe - and take care - enjoy the holidays
CHYWY

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »

[/b]
 I've got 800 miles and was offered 40K for the bike because it was the last of the "hand made" cvo's.

CHYWY

I would agree with you that this is a limited edition...1 of 2400.  However, it is 1 of 2400 but a sistership to 4 of 9600 or call it an even 10,000 "limited editions" that were made by Harley this year.  I believe this is the 11th or 12th year they have been making CVO's and not wanting to do the math I will guess at somewhere around 100,000 CVO's have been manufactured so far.  It's an absolute every year thing at this point.  They are the best of the best...........for that year.  Then something better comes out next year, we continue to ride them and wear them out, little by little, and before we realize it they are "yesterday's news" in the minds of the dealers......possibly with rare exception.  This isn't art work that will hang in a museum somewhere.   We drive them and suddenly they are worth considerably less and less.  And less and less for possibly a few years.......again, with rare exception depending on the model you have.  The public can always be dazzled by shiny objects but a dealer is more prone to turn a blind eye to shiny things.  Remember he sells shiny things every day.  Private sellers typically don't have the resources to market a vehicle to reach as many buyers as a dealer does.  It can be a royal pain in the arz.  Plus many times you may be able to realize a couple more $K of sales tax savings by trading in.  Meanwhile you  may not have the ability to buy the new one you are looking at until you sell the old one.   During that time the new one may go home to live with someone else's family.   We all like to think we own and ride the absolute best of the best and that it will be worth twice what we paid for it (ever had a dealer tell you that????) within just a couple years.  But machines improve, and technology moves on and what we thought we had just one day gets outdated and it just may not be worth what someone told you it was going to be worth......because there's a new "fair-haired" boy in town.........get me?  So, I'd say if you have an offer for 40 large you better do like these people say and take it.....and run......and don't answer your phone........and leave the country for a while til the heat wears down..........but don't buy one while you're holing up in the UK because sounds like they are close to 40K there (See Fadboy's article today Buying 2011 FLSTSE2 - What did you pay? Did you get a discount?) and you will end up with a wash.  Just enjoy the bike for what it is......this year.  Pork
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:15:22 PM by porkypig »

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »

Probably the best thing I've read anywhere that describes the current decline of the H-D "mystique"

B B
The decline of the H-D "mystique" is everywhere. H-D = BFD

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »

Maybe so, but when was the last time you heard anybody ask, "Wow! Is that a Yamaha"???? as you rode past.
For the time being, Harleys still get peoples' heart rate pumping and are still the standard by which all great motorcycles are judged by.........in...my...opinion.... :1112:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »

I think there's a big difference between having a discussion on the why's and wherefor's of what's happening with a product many of us feel very passionately about and to use your phrase  H-D = BFD.  That being the case, why are you even a member of this website ?

B B

PierceEye

• Living The Life In Florida
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8-ANV
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 07:20:36 PM »

I bought a new 2008 Victory Vegas Low with the factory premium edition and then put pipes, intake etc for another 1200 bucks
I just traded it for a used 2010 FLSTSE in the crimsom red after looking for a new HD for 5 months.....when I first started looking I was being given trade values of 7 to 8k that was a slap in the face to me...so I just kept looking and was patiant......finally my local HD shop ended up with the Conv and it had 1927 miles on it and looked brand new...matter of fact they fooled me as it was sitting in the "new" bike area
They finally gave me what I was looking for on the Vic with 3900 miles on it;I paid 19500 w/pipes  & dyno and they coughed up 12500 on the trade and I paid 21300 for the Conv...so I felt I got a decent buy on the CVO and I knew I was going to take it up the on the Vic.....

Loved the Vic as the only stock V that could stay with me was a 110 SE (and I loved the sound); but no service, hell to pay on getting warranty work done, they are good with chrome and paint but short on the little things....like instead of using stainless bolts on the exhuast brakets I got rusty ones, got cool rims but they did not match the rear sproket; things like that irritate the hell out of me....I am old school and if I pay big bucks for "custom" it better be "finished" not half ass! I could teach Polaris a thing or two and they could have a great bike....instead they seem to be going the other direction.

Hence my desire to get back on an HD.....(owned 5 before) I never have had a "dresser" but I decided to be open minded and took a 2010 CVO Ultra for a ride and it was nice but I felt confined......wait a few more weeks and up shows the Conv. I took for a spin and fell in love.....Just got it back Friday as thye put the new pipes and SE intake and filter and put it on the dyno (1600 bucks) and I now have the badest sounding screaming Conv I think in the county LOL...I can't help but smile......wife told me to stop cause the bugs stick to my teeth LOL....

Here is my dyno print out

FLHTCUSE8-Anv w/ Vance & Hines true dual Ovals
88.85hp & 109.33tq tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 07:54:53 PM »

That being the case, why are you even a member of this website ?

B B

Probably for the same reason you are!
IMHO CVOHarley is the greatest internet site in the world for owners of CVO/Screamin Eagles.
The owner of this site has created a site that all of us can enjoy and all of us can feel welcome.
Yes there are rules but I know of no one that was forced to log in here. So just like rules in our life, we deal with it.
I have read 2smoke's above comments and must say there are moments/days when I feel exactly the same way.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

chywy

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »

Maybe so, but when was the last time you heard anybody ask, "Wow! Is that a Yamaha"???? as you rode past.

I like that - "Wow! Is that Yamaha"  - too funny.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »

OK, maybe that comment was weird on a site dedicated to their bikes.  I live in the Milwaukee area so my feelings run very deep about the company.  As a guy with a garage full of bikes   (including 2 H-Ds and  Buell) I am saddened by the empty buildings (Capital Dr., East Troy, and soon to be empty Franklin).  Couple that with personal friends that have been laid off permanently from a Company that once seemed untouchable.  Blame some on the economy, but when a golfer is hired to run a motorcycle company this is the result.  I see the last great American icon going the same way as all the rest.   :soapbox:

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »

I bought a new 2008 Victory Vegas Low with the factory premium edition and then put pipes, intake etc for another 1200 bucks
I just traded it for a used 2010 FLSTSE in the crimsom red after looking for a new HD for 5 months.....when I first started looking I was being given trade values of 7 to 8k that was a slap in the face to me...so I just kept looking and was patiant......finally my local HD shop ended up with the Conv and it had 1927 miles on it and looked brand new...matter of fact they fooled me as it was sitting in the "new" bike area
They finally gave me what I was looking for on the Vic with 3900 miles on it;I paid 19500 w/pipes  & dyno and they coughed up 12500 on the trade and I paid 21300 for the Conv...so I felt I got a decent buy on the CVO and I knew I was going to take it up the on the Vic.....

Loved the Vic as the only stock V that could stay with me was a 110 SE (and I loved the sound); but no service, hell to pay on getting warranty work done, they are good with chrome and paint but short on the little things....like instead of using stainless bolts on the exhuast brakets I got rusty ones, got cool rims but they did not match the rear sproket; things like that irritate the hell out of me....I am old school and if I pay big bucks for "custom" it better be "finished" not half ass! I could teach Polaris a thing or two and they could have a great bike....instead they seem to be going the other direction.

Hence my desire to get back on an HD.....(owned 5 before) I never have had a "dresser" but I decided to be open minded and took a 2010 CVO Ultra for a ride and it was nice but I felt confined......wait a few more weeks and up shows the Conv. I took for a spin and fell in love.....Just got it back Friday as thye put the new pipes and SE intake and filter and put it on the dyno (1600 bucks) and I now have the badest sounding screaming Conv I think in the county LOL...I can't help but smile......wife told me to stop cause the bugs stick to my teeth LOL....

Here is my dyno print out

Well, it certainly looks like you are pleased with your purchase.  And you seem to have done better than you were led to believe on the trade.  When I traded my '10 in on the '11 I received 22k for the bike and it is now on sale at their dealership for 25K.  If they sell it, they will do well.  If it doesn't sell by Christmas, I would expect they may drop the price for next spring to get it out of there.  My 05 Heritage I traded in on the '10 is still sitting on a dealer's floor from over a year ago.   So, I would say if you got the new one for 21+K with 1900 miles on it, you did well, there also.  My experience with dealers on cars as well as motorcycles is you rarely get a good deal the first conversation you have with them.  they have written the rules of the game and know them very well and the price they quoted you is absolutely the bottom line because they just can't keep the lights paid, employees paid, inventories full, yadda yadda yadda.  the price they initially quote you is actually a "no profit" deal..........  Now, once you have a few subsequent conversations they realize you are more serious about becoming the next owner of the bike and they may now stand a chance of selling a bike.  Remember it takes a seller and a buyer to strike a sale.  Generally, I have found that I need a "difference" price to make me jump.  I want to know what the $ out of my pocket applied with my trade-in will result in the new one being exchanged in my garage.  The last 2 bikes I traded in, during the negotiations period I didn't ride the old one at all.  I was fearful, I guess, of dropping it and damaging it.  I thought I got a good deal and didn't want a damaged trade-in scuttling the deal.  
Dealers typically give you a good deal on your trade-in but full price on theirs.  You seem to have conquored both arenas.  Good for you!  Bottom line is you're satisfied.  Put that Fat'boy windshield on the bike and most of those bugs will go away.  Nothing like keeping mama happy!!    :2vrolijk_21:      Pork ....(star)????
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:53:57 AM by porkypig »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »

OK, maybe that comment was weird on a site dedicated to their bikes.  I live in the Milwaukee area so my feelings run very deep about the company.  As a guy with a garage full of bikes   (including 2 H-Ds and  Buell) I am saddened by the empty buildings (Capital Dr., East Troy, and soon to be empty Franklin).  Couple that with personal friends that have been laid off permanently from a Company that once seemed untouchable.  Blame some on the economy, but when a golfer is hired to run a motorcycle company this is the result.  I see the last great American icon going the same way as all the rest.   :soapbox:
2, I understand your frustration as do most of us in this fine country!  And it takes an upstanding individual like yourself to admit you may have crossed the line a bit as we do enjoy our particular breed of bike and don't like to think anybody out there would trounce the moniker, especially from the inside.  I talked to people from New Delhi,India ther other day to have a couple things straightened out on 2 of my credit report companies.....remember, there's a 3rd one, right?  Wonder where I'll have to call for the 3rd??   So now all of our credit reporting information is being accessed from out of this country?????  My point is I long for the day when we take back our great nation, the current companies begin investing right here in America, close up the shops in foreign countries and start hiring again........here!  When Harley Davidson once again is every single part made right here in America!  Now there will still be the cross-town rivalry that Yamahammers and Vicory's are somehow "just as good as a Harley" but you know what??  That's ok.  My dear old departed father owned a concrete mixing company many years ago and they had a slogan that was printed on all their letterheads, give-away items, etc.  It said, "We have no problem with those who sell for less.......they know what their product is worth!"  Long live Harleys and may we ride them as long as we live!  The Pork.....well, you know.....
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:10:06 AM by porkypig »

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »

OK, maybe that comment was weird on a site dedicated to their bikes.  I live in the Milwaukee area so my feelings run very deep about the company.  As a guy with a garage full of bikes   (including 2 H-Ds and  Buell) I am saddened by the empty buildings (Capital Dr., East Troy, and soon to be empty Franklin).  Couple that with personal friends that have been laid off permanently from a Company that once seemed untouchable.  Blame some on the economy, but when a golfer is hired to run a motorcycle company this is the result.  I see the last great American icon going the same way as all the rest.   :soapbox:

Ahhhhhh, so H-D 50 weight runs through your veins and like all of us who hate to love them and love to hate them you are dying the death of 1,000 cuts watching the current crop of idiots in charge of H-D Inc lead them down the path to destruction. I'm not a CEO of any large company, never will be but some things in life seem simple and the issue here is that as was the case in the 70's, the quality of the product is declining, the attitude of the company and it's dealership network is not in touch with it's customer base . I don't GAS what goes on in the boardroom at H-D Inc, so long as my local dealer has some respect for me as customer, so long as the product is of consistent and high quality and improvements continue to be made. The most basic tenet of the free market system is  - - build a product the consumer wants, find a price point that reaches as many potential customers as economically feasible and stand behind that product. As to the golfer- - - don't hold that against the guy, we've got some great golfers on the site here who also love Harleys as much as anyone I know.

B B

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »

Without that "golfer" we may have seen the demise of Harley Davidson.  Can you run a multi-national business in the worst recession we've seen since the Great Depression?  You don't hire a motorcycle fan (sure, it would have been nice, but do you see Disney hiring Mickey Mouse to run their company?) to keep your company afloat.  You hire the best person you can with a proven track record.  As an expert in international business matters and an executive at Johnson Controls for 20 years before Harley (a global manufacture of automotive solutions, in case you think he had no previous related experience), I would say the Board had a good reason for hiring him.  Whether you like it or not, a lot of business is done on the golf course.  

Sorry your friends got laid off but the fault lies in us not buying the bikes.  At least Wandell is looking to make up for that by selling to other markets (China, India, Europe).  These markets aren't diminishing the American image of Harley.  They are buying them BECAUSE they epitomize the great western image of freedom and excess and everything cool.

:soapbox:

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »

Baby, oh Baby, oh baby!!!  Harley, are you listening here???  If ever there was a place to listen, me thinks this is it; right here!   Happy Thanksgiving to one and all............Pork

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »

+1 what MW said.  And, more of us in the US would be buying more bikes if the economy wasnt so bad.  Too many out of work that would like a new ride, but cant swing it.

Still, I love the brand and cant ever see myself owning anything but a Harley.  I wouldnt even care if they were made off-shore.  I would still ride one.  The dealer has my name on a CVO Conv for May delivery, and I look forward to it.

Dennis

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »

+1 what MW said.  And, more of us in the US would be buying more bikes if the economy wasnt so bad.  Too many out of work that would like a new ride, but cant swing it.

Still, I love the brand and cant ever see myself owning anything but a Harley.  I wouldnt even care if they were made off-shore.  I would still ride one.  The dealer has my name on a CVO Conv for May delivery, and I look forward to it.

Dennis
X2. Couldnt leave if I needed to.  :2vrolijk_21:

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »

PierceEye, two questions....why did you change the air intake since it's already high flow and does your 6th speed light work now?
I tried the SERT first and it pretty much sucked, hardly any noticable change in performance or heat and the 6th speed light did not work. At that time HD did not have a fix for it and i'm wordering if they do now. And, those dyno numbers are quite high. Don't know if I would believe them but if they are true you're very lucky indeed.

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »

My two cents....may depreciate to one cent...I paid $26400 last Feb. For the 2010 Orange Inferno FLSTSE and knew it would depreciate due to purchasing a new bike from a dealer. I have 7000 miles on it and now that the weather is changing I am missing riding. I still love the bike! My wife loves riding on the back! And understand that if Anyone trades theirs  in they should expect the dealer to offer around $22k so they can sell it for $25k. I do not see the depreciation being any different from other bikes or cars. I had my local HD check on how many were made in 2010 and it was 1865. Could not get it broke down in each color.
Live To Win!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »

Well, those figures seem to ring pretty consistent.  The dealer has to make a couple K to warrant "dealing" with the trade-in.  He has to make a few bucks to justify it.  He has to keep it far enough (low enough) from the cost of a new bike to entice someone to buy used.  if it was too close to the price of a new one, why would anybody in their right mind buy used??   And of course someone has to pay for the cost of this process.  It isn't going to be the dealer or he loses all he hoped to gain along the way.  It will be you and me, the consumer.  His responsibility is keeping his showroom stocked with what we like and it is ours to finance the game.  So, in the first year, we are going to take a pretty good hit.  It doesn't mean the value on the bike is really that low; it does mean it costs to make that 1st year trade and to make somebody interested in buying a 1 year old bike.  Requires a bit of a twisted vision to understand it all but it sort of has to be that way.  Realistically speaking, if it was up to us consumers, completely, we'd get our chicks for nothing and our bikes for free, right???  But, alas, it ain't............The defense rests.........

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2010, 12:50:37 AM »

and so speaks the wisdom of the porkster..........
very few have put it so succintly

PierceEye

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »

PierceEye, two questions....why did you change the air intake since it's already high flow and does your 6th speed light work now?
I tried the SERT first and it pretty much sucked, hardly any noticable change in performance or heat and the 6th speed light did not work. At that time HD did not have a fix for it and i'm wordering if they do now. And, those dyno numbers are quite high. Don't know if I would believe them but if they are true you're very lucky indeed.

Sorry been busy....
The stock SE is still restrictive......they showed me a dyno run with it on and then with the new one and the a/f mix was irratic and hp & torque were down about 10% <sp>
Thier dyno was new in July so i tend to believe the numbers and from driving it for a couple hundred miles while it was stock and then after makes me belive the are on or close to it.

As to the 6th gear indicator.....I have never seen it on....Actually did not know there was one LOL
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:05:47 PM by PierceEye »

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »

Any photos of your new air intake?

PierceEye

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2010, 07:03:45 PM »

Any photos of your new air intake?

I will take some pictures of it tomorrow; I want some at each stage w/o the bags, then w/o the backrest, then the seat
It is supposed to be sunny and 69 tomorrow.....good polishing day LOL

PierceEye

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »

Here you go  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56832.msg813971#msg813971

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the photo.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 20 queries.