Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: DOOFUS IS SCARED NOW  (Read 6153 times)

DOOFUS

DOOFUS IS SCARED NOW
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:21:57 AM »

Jeez.  I spent most of the last2 days reading and asking questions about the 2011 CVO Tourers and the 110SERG mostly.  Ya'll have scared the bejesus out of me !!! I had no idea how poorly the 110 was doing.   I'm on HD number 5 and have already had my share of nightmares & warranty woes.  Well, I'll still go to a few dealers today to "see".  I have found a dealer who has the gray SERG at MSRP and he will give me a VERY good trade in on my 103 FLHTK.  But, ya'll got me scared !!!!!!  Wil advise results today, thnx, (I think) DOOFUS

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: DOOFUS IS SCARED NOW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »

Jeez.  I spent most of the last2 days reading and asking questions about the 2011 CVO Tourers and the 110SERG mostly.  Ya'll have scared the bejesus out of me !!! I had no idea how poorly the 110 was doing.   I'm on HD number 5 and have already had my share of nightmares & warranty woes.  Well, I'll still go to a few dealers today to "see".  I have found a dealer who has the gray SERG at MSRP and he will give me a VERY good trade in on my 103 FLHTK.  But, ya'll got me scared !!!!!!  Wil advise results today, thnx, (I think) DOOFUS

No need to be scared.
Just knowing the facts upfront will help you with your decision.
Money can cure most of the issues.
How much are you willing to spend?

:nixweiss:             :nixweiss:             :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »

This is a message board.  You have all the negative concentrated in one area, an typically like anything else you only hear about the problems.  I thought the same thing until i got on the chat line and made a similar comment.  It's a machine put together by machines and people, there may be issues, but i doubt it if they are anymore typical that a 96".  I had a problem with my clutch adjustment after 3,000 miles, and that was probably due to a bad pre-delivery inspection.  Good luck, and enjoy the purchase!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

DOOFUS

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:40:46 AM »

Great.  I just wet myself and am now huddled in a corner sucking my thumb.  Whaaaaa!!!

No need to be scared.
Just knowing the facts upfront will help you with your decision.
Money can cure most of the issues.
How much are you willing to spend?

:nixweiss:             :nixweiss:             :nixweiss:

SBB

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:41:41 AM »

but i doubt it if they are anymore typical that a 96". 

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

And what experience or facts is your statement above based on?
Just wondering?

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »

Doofus, MoCo had issues with the 110's in previous years, and from what I am told by my dealer (with 2 shops) they have fixed the problems.  At least on the 2010's and up, they have not had any warranty problems on the 110's yet.

These are not perfect bikes, you ride them and they break.  All bikes do.  Dont wory about it.  I recommend an extended warranty that covers everything on the bike pretty much, and just ride it.

I'm about to buy my 7th HD, and like you, have had some problems in the past.  Just get the warranty and let the MoCo pick up the tab, and keep on riding.

JME

Dennis

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:34:03 AM »

Doofus, MoCo had issues with the 110's in previous years, and from what I am told by my dealer (with 2 shops) they have fixed the problems.  At least on the 2010's and up, they have not had any warranty problems on the 110's yet.

These are not perfect bikes, you ride them and they break.  All bikes do.  Dont wory about it.  I recommend an extended warranty that covers everything on the bike pretty much, and just ride it.

I'm about to buy my 7th HD, and like you, have had some problems in the past.  Just get the warranty and let the MoCo pick up the tab, and keep on riding.

JME

Dennis
x2  I've bought 3 CVO's since 07 all with 110s.  Currently have two.  Not enough mileage on the '11 yet, but plenty of miles on the 07 and the 10 is starting to rack them up.  Had only one issue with the 07 and that was the rear head gasket leak.  Had the MoCo product enhancement done to it, and never had a problem with it again.  So far, all my 110's have been great and reliable, (knock on wood), and I wouldn't hesitate to ride cross-country with any of them.  

:devil:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:03:32 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »

Doofus, MoCo had issues with the 110's in previous years, and from what I am told by my dealer (with 2 shops) they have fixed the problems.  At least on the 2010's and up, they have not had any warranty problems on the 110's yet.

These are not perfect bikes, you ride them and they break.  All bikes do.  Dont wory about it.  I recommend an extended warranty that covers everything on the bike pretty much, and just ride it.

I'm about to buy my 7th HD, and like you, have had some problems in the past.  Just get the warranty and let the MoCo pick up the tab, and keep on riding.

JME

Dennis

Actually, when you purchase the Extended Service Plan, H-D doesn't pick up the tab, you and the other's who paid for the coverage pick up the tab.  H-D makes money on the ESP, the dealer makes money on the ESP, the administrator makes money on the ESP, and the customers pay for all of it.

While the first two years of the 110 were definitely the worst in terms of poor quality and reliability, there is nothing that tells me the subsequent model year 110's are any great bargain.  And having a dealer tell you the problems are "fixed" somehow doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, since many dealers never acknowledged the problems in the first place and spent the first two years telling everyone there were no problems as the oil ran down the cylinders and the ACR's failed and the cranks scissored.  The oil leak and the ACR failures appear to have been corrected, but the rest of the issues are still there.  Ask folks who work on the engines about valve guide/valve failures, crank failures, primary drive failures, etc.

If someone goes into the purchase fully informed and doesn't mind accepting the risk of possible reliability issues, that's fine.  But I still think it's wise to know the full story and not just the sugar coated version that a dealer will give you.  Yes, you will hear more negative than positive in a forum such as this, that is just the nature of the beast.  But this sort of forum is essential to offset the "problem, we don't know about no problem" story you will get from H-D and it's dealers.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:14 AM »

you and the other's who paid for the coverage pick up the tab.  H-D makes money on the ESP, the dealer makes money on the ESP, the administrator makes money on the ESP, and the customers pay for all of it.

Thank you Jerry!

there is nothing that tells me the subsequent model year 110's are any great bargain.  And having a dealer tell you the problems are "fixed" somehow doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, since many dealers never acknowledged the problems in the first place and spent the first two years telling everyone there were no problems as the oil ran down the cylinders and the ACR's failed and the cranks scissored.  The oil leak and the ACR failures appear to have been corrected, but the rest of the issues are still there.  Ask folks who work on the engines about valve guide/valve failures, crank failures, primary drive failures, etc.

Again, thank you Jerry!

If someone goes into the purchase fully informed and doesn't mind accepting the risk of possible reliability issues, that's fine.  But I still think it's wise to know the full story and not just the sugar coated version that a dealer will give you.  Yes, you will hear more negative than positive in a forum such as this, that is just the nature of the beast.  But this sort of forum is essential to offset the "problem, we don't know about no problem" story you will get from H-D and it's dealers.

Bingo! Jerry is on a roll!

JMHO  -  Jerry

There is another thread where the 110 is called a POS!

Look back in my previous post, I have never thought of mine like that.
My 2009 SEUC is the 20th Harley I have owned and the facts are as follows.
Of all the Harley's I have owned, the 09 SEUC is the most expensive and least dependable of the bunch.
But I did just as Jerry stated,
If someone goes into the purchase fully informed and doesn't mind accepting the risk of possible reliability issues, that's fine.
I accepted the risk, but don't expect me to sing the praises of that bike when I have 3 other more dependable (based on experience) bikes  to chose from.
I read Jerry's post(s) and sometimes I think, "that man is crazy", , , , well hell, he may be but on this issue he is right.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »

Funny, I read Jerrys post and wonder what his background is because he seems to be the most grounded(realistic) with his comments.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »

It is all relative.  (Vehicle) MFR's have issues with any new design they put on the road.  You always hear not to buy a certain model because it is the first year its made.  There is some truth to it because the MFG cant put it through every possible scenario.  Hell, the computer software world does the same thing...give it to the public and let them test it. 

I have 2 110's.  My 09 SERG has 28k on it.  Yes, I had an issue at 8k.  A camshaft bearing went out.  Since then it has been perfect.  It is a torque monster.  I have almost 5k on my 2011 RGU.  No issues.  They had the bearing issue on the twin cam's when they first came out.  It's all relative.  I believe the bigger issue was the D407's uneven wear.

Buy it and ride it like you stole it!
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

Be afraid... be VERY afraid!  :huepfenlol2:

No, they really arent that bad.. but most of us here are pretty vocal about the problems we have.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Marine Aviator

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 11:30:34 PM »

Get the extended warranty and ride on. 

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 05:30:03 AM »

no need to be scared.

Cautious, yes, of course as with any new product  ;)

Just had my engine (09) disassembled - everything well within limits.

The crank is under suspicion - as with all the '96. Have it trued and welded. Check the tensioners every now and then and change the cam bearings - as  with all Twincams.

Apart from that I'm quite confident with my 110  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »

If you at who is posting, it looks like mostly the same folks
The nice thing about the bike if it dose give you fits at lease It's nice to look at :apple:
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.698 seconds with 21 queries.