Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drain Plug Stripped on Primary  (Read 3400 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Drain Plug Stripped on Primary
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »

Yesterday when I pulled the plug for my primary on my 2010 SEUC I noticed it was hard coming out. It should come out by hand after you break the initial torque. Well I drained the fluid and went to install the drain plug and it goes in and just spins. My question to the board is Is there any kind of GOOD Repair to that boss or do I have to go buy a new Primary Case? A Very Sick Desertbear!!!! I tried a piggy back OS 1/2 plug but it statically leaks around the new cut threads.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Drain Plug Stripped on Primary
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »

Yesterday when I pulled the plug for my primary on my 2010 SEUC I noticed it was hard coming out. It should come out by hand after you break the initial torque. Well I drained the fluid and went to install the drain plug and it goes in and just spins. My question to the board is Is there any kind of GOOD Repair to that boss or do I have to go buy a new Primary Case? A Very Sick Desertbear!!!! I tried a piggy back OS 1/2 plug but it statically leaks around the new cut threads.
DB, Your on the right track, I have used a bunch of piggy backs on older machines, the O ring wont work on them because there is no recess for them and they just twist, The best remedy is to clean everything and install the main plug with some High temperature locktite to secure it and seal the threads, then on future changes be sure to use two wrenches when removing the piggy back, My grandsons Sportster is set up this way and it does not leak at all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 05:25:46 PM by dartman »

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »

dartman,
           Well I took the os piggyback 1/2 20 thread fitting back out after I drained the primary and I let it drain for quite awhile and then I went to Ace Hardware and found a O-Ring Washer and put that on the piggyback and installed it back into the case clean with JB Weld on the upper threads and tightened her up. I then found a temp-oil resistant o-ring that fit on the center drain piece better than the one that came with it and applied thread sealer to the threads and tightened the center drain fitting. I let everything setup for a couple of hours and then serviced the primary. Thankfully I have no leaks and I put a couple hundred miles on BLUU and we are dry as a bone on the new drain fitting. My Blood Pressure has now come back to normal and I can sleep now!!  :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »

Atta Boy!! Ingenuity overcomes all.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.