Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning Concerns  (Read 2675 times)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
Turning Concerns
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:55:45 AM »

Does anyone have any problems turning  the 2011 FLHTCUSE6 at low or crawling  speeds. This bike seems to need the whole right lane when turning from a 2 lane road. My other bike is an 89 FLT, which is 150 lbs. lighter, shorter frame & has a frame mounted fairing handles alot better at slower speeds. I have only 3600 miles on this batwing fairing bike & really don't know what to expect. Is this the way this bigger bike handles? I have a friend that has an 2011 ultra classic & he says his handles the same way. He really isn't happy with the way his  turns at slow speeds. When trying to turn around it takes alot more effort to keep the bike up & moving.

I just want anybodies 2 cents on the subject.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:57:47 AM by DANNER55 »
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Turning concerns
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:34:26 AM »

Hello Danner,

I have not gotten my new CVO Ultra yet, I have had a 103 Ultra, a 2011 year model...  It is a matter of practice, and yes the scooter is different because of the Touring frame and fat tyres, but it is really a weight and balance issue.   There are three secrets to it, practice, practice and practice.  I do a U-turn every time I go out to the horse property, and at first I needed the whole bloody cul-de-sac.  But the practice prevails and I have got it down to a very tight u-turn..

I would do what the Ultra drivers do for professional work... For a few hours, every couple weeks, go into an empty parking lot and have a play. Each time you will get about 20% smaller till you can go from one parking spot into another in the turns...  Trust me, it happens.  I did not even realize it and just put up with it, and one day looked at myself doing it in half the space...

Cheers from Australia, Cowboy, out at the State Reining Horse Championships on Gateway Wireless Internet...

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »

Hey Cowboy,  I've been riding my old FLT for 20 years & had no issues with her. I guess I'll have to learn to ride this new scooter all over again. I think your right as the tires are alot fatter & handle alot different. Thanks  Cowboy, & I'll  take your advice & practice, practice & practice.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Turning Concerns
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »

Does anyone have any problems turning  the 2011 FLHTCUSE6 at low or crawling  speeds. This bike seems to need the whole right lane when turning from a 2 lane road. My other bike is an 89 FLT, which is 150 lbs. lighter, shorter frame & has a frame mounted fairing handles alot better at slower speeds. I have only 3600 miles on this batwing fairing bike & really don't know what to expect. Is this the way this bigger bike handles? I have a friend that has an 2011 ultra classic & he says his handles the same way. He really isn't happy with the way his  turns at slow speeds. When trying to turn around it takes alot more effort to keep the bike up & moving.

I just want anybodies 2 cents on the subject.

Practice, practice, practice is the key.
No issues turning mine.
Maybe the blues turn better?

:nervous:    :nixweiss:    :nervous:    :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »

Hey Cowboy,  I've been riding my old FLT for 20 years & had no issues with her. I guess I'll have to learn to ride this new scooter all over again. I think your right as the tires are alot fatter & handle alot different. Thanks  Cowboy, & I'll  take your advice & practice, practice & practice.

Definitely ...practice, practice, practice. I think you'll find over time that the new frame (2009 & newer) is more controllable than any previous HD of this size. It rides like a much smaller bike with much greater controllability but it did take a little getting used to for me. My most recent comparison was a 2003 Fatboy and my 2010 SE Ultra is absolutely a much more fun bike to ride in the twisties and even at slow speeds. Just a matter of getting used to the differences.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Turning Concerns
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »

I see you are in north Florida. Check out Jerry Palladinos Ride Like a Pro course outside of Tampa. It will help you immensely. You will learn the whole basics of head turns, rear brake drag, throttle control and friction zone.You'll have to use your own bike though.

The rest is practice.

Good luck.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »

Have been ridin for 45+ yrs and slow right hand turns are still the most difficult for me. 900lbs is not a easy package. Left turns are far more simple.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »

Just remembering to turn my head and look around the turn to where I want to go instead of right in front of the bike seems to do the most for me in those tight turns.  Feels strange the 1st couple of times, until you see how well it works and then....the bike just magically makes the tight turn w/o falling on you.  Amazing!!! :D har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Head and eyes. check out above.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.