Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Tallest Wild 1 Chubby on 03 SERK w/o Cable Change?  (Read 12198 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tallest Wild 1 Chubby on 03 SERK w/o Cable Change?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »

Just installed the Wild 1 8.5 inch mini-apes . . . I believe the 10" would have worked without a cable change.  Too late now . . . don't want to undo it all now!  :-)

How do they feel?

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »

How do they feel?
they don't feel good yet....got the bars on and all wired up,...getting excited....

Put the tac, and clamp cover to put the nacelle back on and found out I got some wrong info from Wild 1 when I called...I had a set of stock risers from an 03 Fatboy in my parts...they said those would work fine with the one piece clamp (HD #56170-83TA)....

Now that the bars are on, I found those risers from the 03 Fatboy I recycled are a little too tall...cover with tach on it won't now settle low enough to meet with nacelle...

Now gotta find the right risers for the one piece clamp conversion.  At a stand still until I can locate a set....and the right part number for the risers!  Just found out 10 minutes ago...was gonna finish tonight.  Not now.

Anybody know the right part number for the right risers?  Oh, of course Twolanrider gave them to me on 6 June (56149-88B and 56151-88B) and I trusted the sales guy at Wild 1 to tell me I did not need them if I had the 03 Fatboy risers . . . I am sure they must be different numbers!

Sorry, Twolanerider . . . I did not take your advice on the risers, and heard what I wanted to hear from the sales guy to save a few bucks. I did get the one piece clamp and the new bushings you told me two and have installed them.

Now, I will wait for my dealer to open in the morning and pray he has a set ot Twolanerider's risers in stocK!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:07:15 PM by Rhetor »
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

Now that the bars are on, I found those risers from the 03 Fatboy I recycled are a little too tall...cover with tach on it won't now settle low enough to meet with nacelle...

Well that sucks.....

Sorry about the delay.  Man, that's always annoying.  Just checked the Fatboy's riser part numbers at that link sent in PM.  They are a different part number.

I know it's a cynical outlook.  But it's so tough for the parts counter boys or vendors to really know for sure what we need.  Especially after we've started making a few changes.  And, annoyingly, they can get it wrong all too often even when there aren't changes to keep track of. 

All that being so I never ask the counter people or aftermarket vendors for part numbers or assume they'll know anything other than the specifics of their own parts.  Aside from that always look everything up myself.  In the long run it's just easier.

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »

Well that sucks.....

Sorry about the delay.  Man, that's always annoying.  Just checked the Fatboy's riser part numbers at that link sent in PM.  They are a different part number.

I know it's a cynical outlook.  But it's so tough for the parts counter boys or vendors to really know for sure what we need.  Especially after we've started making a few changes.  And, annoyingly, they can get it wrong all too often even when there aren't changes to keep track of. 

All that being so I never ask the counter people or aftermarket vendors for part numbers or assume they'll know anything other than the specifics of their own parts.  Aside from that always look everything up myself.  In the long run it's just easier.

Absolutely . . . found a dealer 90 minutes away who is the only one who has the risers in stock . . . they are good people . . . got the day off, so I am gonna drive up and get them . . . just don't the patience today to wait on  an order.  :-)

Man, you have been a great help . . . just should have listened to you in the first place and ordered them when I ordered the clamp and bushings instead of trying to save a few bucks with the old 03 Fatboy risers . . . I am still learning . . . big lesson here . . . trust Twolanerider!  Ha!  Ha!

Thanks, Bro!
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Sundog1258

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »

Wild 1 makes an adapter for your new bars and the existing 1.25 inch risers on a SE roading, surprised they did not tell you about it. Used one on my 02 SERK and it works fine. WO806 is their part #   
http://www.wild1inc.com/ADAPTERINFO.html

Good luck,
Phil

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »

Wild 1 makes an adapter for your new bars and the existing 1.25 inch risers on a SE roading, surprised they did not tell you about it. Used one on my 02 SERK and it works fine. WO806 is their part #  
http://www.wild1inc.com/ADAPTERINFO.html

Good luck,
Phil

Thanks, . . . I saw that, but noted about half the people were having trouble getting the adapter to hold.  Also, I wanted the strength of a one piece clamp . . . so, decided to go with changing the risers and going with a one piece clamp for strength . . . just wanted to do this once . . . and the 03 SERK has a cover for the tach . . . real close proximity to the clamp . . . going one piece with the clamp necessitates the different risers . . . ugly since it is zinc, but it is under the cover anyway.  

$54 for the Wild 1 adapter . . . about $64 (including a discount, $81 without the discount) to go to a one piece setup on the 03 SERK.  Went for the one piece setup.  I need to change to the new bushings anyway . . . had to take the risers off in that case anyway . . . just did not intend to do it twice!  Ha!  Ha!

Got the parts today on a 200 mile round trip; will put them on tomorrow.  Hopefully, I will never change the bars again . . . well . . . maybe.  :-)

I definitely think now I could have gone with the 10" inch mini-apes without changing cables, rather than the 8.5" inch I got . . . but, I wanted to be sure . . . maybe next year . . . I will try this again . . . go with taller apes, and even tall enough to change out the cables.  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:03:18 PM by Rhetor »
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »

I added 10"wild one mini apes to my 08 SERK. No need to change brake or clutch cables.If I were to do it again I think the 12"may be the way to go.
kb

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »

Got them on . . . great feel to them!  Raining here through Thursday . . . so Friday will be the maiden voyage!

I think I could have gone 10" on the Wild 1  without a cable change, but these 8.5" baby-apes feel good.

Also in the last couple of days added auxillary passing lights (did not come on an 03 SERK), added the 360 degree highway pegs, a chrome fork lock cover, and added a Power Commander V . . . that is enough damage for now.

But, I am looking for a tailight setup that will make me better seen . . . looking at the brighasslights . . . any recommendations for being seen better than a stock tail light for my 03 SERK?

Oh, gonna do an oil change on Friday and pull my own 5k service . . . change the oil in the primary too.  What are you all recommending for oils?  I think it may have full synthetic in it now.
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 09:40:03 AM »

Got them on . . . great feel to them! 

Congrats on getting it all knocked out.  And glad you like the riding position.  So many just get on a bike and go and never realize how much better the ride can be with just a bar adjustment or change.  Have fun!

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »

[quAin't that the truth!ote author=Twolanerider link=topic=63260.msg898520#msg898520 date=1309268403]

Congrats on getting it all knocked out.  And glad you like the riding position.  So many just get on a bike and go and never realize how much better the ride can be with just a bar adjustment or change.  Have fun!
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth!
kb

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »

Could not have done it without your advice, Bro!  Thanks so much!

Now, I want to light up the rear end and turn the blinkers into some brake lights too . . . thinking about the brightasslight . . . but want to do something to the turn signal bar . . . after being runover 3 1/2 years ago because a driver on a cell phone did not see me, I am looking to rework the rear lights to be seen and more functional . . .

Ideas?
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »

Could not have done it without your advice, Bro!  Thanks so much!

Now, I want to light up the rear end and turn the blinkers into some brake lights too . . . thinking about the brightasslight . . . but want to do something to the turn signal bar . . . after being runover 3 1/2 years ago because a driver on a cell phone did not see me, I am looking to rework the rear lights to be seen and more functional . . .

Ideas?

Have to be a little careful about the various "bright" LED brake and tail lights.  There are some that are very bright (at night) but which for various reasons can't be seen well in sunlight.  Especially with a trailing sun.  One that is, or at least used to be, offered by Kuryakyn is that way as well as a few more generic alternatives.

The current Harley branded piece seems to do pretty well.  The "BrightAss" lights you mention also seem to hold up well in this regard. 

The signal bar gives a few options; but only a few.  You could stay with the big bar and the pancake lights and use the LED bulb kits from RideTime (and others).  They're the only ones I know of that really fill the area in a pancake style light.  Link here:

http://ridetimetechnology.com/glide_lights.htm

Have those in the back of my old Road Glide and have been well satisified.  Have been told they show up well from the rear in day or night riding.  Some LED regular bulbs won't fit in the pankace style housings.  So this is a good option.

If you change the light bar in the rear completely you'll likely be going to the bullet style lights.  There are many different LED bulbs to plug in to those. RideTime has a flat full surface light for those as well.  They're a bit tricky to get laid down flat and get the lens over correctly.  But they do light up very well.  The company also warrants them forever.  I've got their bullet style lights on the back of my SEEG and the fronts of both bikes. 

One downside to the RideTime lights in the front though.  To me not a big deal.  But forewarned is fore armed.

Even though they are an 1157 socketed bulb they really are only on-off like an 1156 type single element bulb.  The running light feed turns them off.  The little logic module built in to them then turns them off when they see power from the turn signal feed. 

That works fine in normal operation.  Running lights and turn signals work exactly as they should and you never know the difference.  The one time the difference will show up is when using the four-way or hazard flashers.  Four-way flashers won't work in the front with the ignition switch in "off" or in "accessory" if using these RideTime lights since the running lights aren't powered at those times.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »

mungam just spent about 7400 miles behind me with a 12 LED brightass light in all kinds of conditions i'll as him to post a review.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mungam

• Elite CVO Member
  • onepalaj
    • MA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »

In the dark entering an off ramp and he hit them, I was blind. (kinda scary)
In a parking garage same thing.

Outside in normal daylight, there was no missing when he 1st engages them.

Steve
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
Maggie Valley, NC (05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 19)
New River Gorge (10)
Rib Fest (12, 13, 14)

West Coast
Cripple Creek, CO (06)
Nelson, BC (07)
Sedona, AZ (08)
Hood River, OR (09)
Lake Tahoe, NV (11)
Spokane, WA (12)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »

In the dark entering an off ramp and he hit them, I was blind. (kinda scary)
In a parking garage same thing.

Outside in normal daylight, there was no missing when he 1st engages them.

Steve

Steve, is it "kinda scary" like someone in a cage might panic and run right up your ass blinding scary?  Or a different kind of scary?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.