Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Oil  (Read 1424 times)

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
Using Oil
« on: June 03, 2004, 02:58:07 PM »

Just wanted to hear any feedback on Oil Usage. During my first 750 miles on my 04 SEEG I thought I used about 1/2 quart of oil. But I could not be sure because I really did not pay close attention to the "cold Check" vs. Hot Check of the oil and could assure it was completely full from the factory. Took it in for the 1000 mile and thought I would watch it closer.

This past weekend I rode 2100 Miles in 4 days. About 1700 of it at 85 mph on interstate. After the first two days and 780 miles I was 1/2 quart low. Half way through day 4 and another 1200 mile I was another 1/2 quart low.

I have no oil external showing in the form of a leak or coming out the breather. The bike is just using the oil. The mastertech that I have trusted with all my work in the past 12 years assures me that if he called HD on this their canned answer is "unless the bike is using a full quart in 1000 miles it is just the nature of an air cooled engine"

My 1992 uses oil at about a quart in 2000 and of course it does not bother me on that one at the age it is and miles. Just have never had a new bike in the 8-9 I have had use oil that way, but of course I have not ridden the others this way, long 85 mph runs for 10 hours and such.

Anyone else have similiar experience???  [smiley=confused5.gif]

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
Re: Using Oil
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 06:28:26 PM »

hey rugby,  i believe i used about a 1/2 qt during my first 8-900 miles.....i always did a cold check first...pmc
stock for now

STICKMAN

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 05:48:29 AM »

I'm totally confused. I have an 02  FLHRSEI 95 inch. I also have a 1999 EVO. I tried the SYN 3 in the EVO and found that on a trip from Reno to Vegas I used a court . I then talked to some people ( not mechanics ) that said said the SYN runs cooler but H-D cylinders are commonly out of round and the SYN blows right past the rings. Then I was reading an article on this site about noisy tranny's. So here are my questions to all of you.

Do all Screamin Eagle bikes come with SYN 3 in the trans, primary and crank case. Do they burn more of it then regular oil. and is there something different I should put in the tranny because is seems to "clunk" into gear more than my Evo or my Sportster did.

Oh Yeah, and do they run "hot". I dont have an engine oil thermometer or a cylcinder head temp gauge but it seems my bike runs hot. The plugs are "cream" colored but the thing just radiates heat like none of my other Harley's. I just installed Rheinhart pipes and am waiting for the air cleaner and Power Commander to arrive.

STICKMAN

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 11:15:29 AM »

Stickman,

I would get rid of the Syn 3 in the tranny and go with Red Line HD shockproof, Baker uses it in their Trannys. I also would use the Red Line MTL in the primary, check out Harley Tech Talk.

geezerglide

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.