Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riding in the Rain -- Issues  (Read 2465 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Riding in the Rain -- Issues
« on: April 01, 2004, 09:30:51 PM »

I was wondering today as I plowed thru the many road puddles as the Northeast is getting a thorough and much needed rinsing these past few days, how do bike brakes feel while riding in a good rain. In car, we slightly ride the break to dry them. Same for bike? Is there the usual few seconds of no brake slippery feeling?     [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
Re: Riding in the Rain -- Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 10:15:35 PM »

The only sippery feeling I;ve ever gotten was not from the brakes, but from the wheel sliding on the wet asphalt
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 10:16:02 PM by gb »
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 04:58:31 AM »

Got stuck riding the first time in the rain several years ago now.  Prior to that, I had avoided the wet stuff like the plague fearing the bike would be unstable, brakes wouldn't work, tires would be spinning all the time, etc., etc.  By the time that 60 mile ride home was done, I was amazed at how well a motorcycle will actually behave itself in those conditions if you apply the appropriate common sense.  Since then, the worst part about riding in the rain has been the clean-up afterward (your motorcycle will get dirty in places you may never get clean again!), not the fear of ride itself.  I find riding in the rain is actually fairly enjoyable if you have the proper gear.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 06:24:10 AM »

i have ridden in the rain more times than i can remember, i have only had a problem once. last fall entering a rotary, i tapped the rear brake only for a quick speed correction and i felt the back tire starting to kick out, i released and tapped again and felt it kick out again. bout that time i pulled my head out of my ass and remembered i wasn't using the front brake [smiley=oops.gif] but by then i had slowed enough and was through the rotary and relearned a beginner lesson always use both breaks
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 08:07:13 AM »

I was wondering today as I plowed thru the many road puddles as the Northeast is getting a thorough and much needed rinsing these past few days, how do bike brakes feel while riding in a good rain. In car, we slightly ride the break to dry them. Same for bike? Is there the usual few seconds of no brake slippery feeling?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 08:30:53 AM »

Don't forget the basics from the MSF class.  The start of the rain brings out the oil in the road...the brakes will work great...stopping those two spinning disks however, well, the tire may keep going...bring you along.

Visibility sucks big time...especially if:
You don't have a rainshield
You are wearing sunglasses
you are not wearing a helmet

The glasses get covered from the mist from the other vehicles, the inside is constantly fogging and everyone else is still going like a bat out of He!!

Find an overpass and wait it out if possible.  If not, stay VERY alert!

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

starvin

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 08:19:17 PM »

last weekend we rode home in a steady downpour for 150 miles, bike handled great the only problem was I couldn't see chit. Glasses fogged up steady, a couple of times we passed deer standing in the ditch before I saw them.(witch really sucks seeing how some friends of ours just got out of the hospital after hitting a deer) tried not using glasses but the rain hurt my eyes anyone find anything that helps with the glasses. mine were supposed to be anti fog glasses.
Thanks, dave
  ride safe, pain hurts!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 03:32:50 PM »

Being from the northwest and a daily ride rain or shine here are my hints,  give the cages extra room, buy a good pair of googles(double lens) they won't fog up,  try and us more rear brake than front.  And SLOW DOWN.   [smiley=1syellow1.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 04:42:37 PM »

rain-x applied to either goggles or face shields works well as an anti-fog in most applications.....though sometimes a pain because of the application and reapplication procedures

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 05:02:09 PM »

Sometimes, the most difficult time to watch surface changes and conditions are in the corners....especially transitions that involve painted(striped) surfaces or tar filler on asphalt surfaces both of which are less detectable at night.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:33:33 AM by mfgreen »

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 09:52:42 AM »

I have ridden thousands of miles in the rain and have not experienced any problems with scooter disk brakes not responding properly wet or dry, now if we are givin' tips on riding in the rain (which is not where this thread started) the single most important item is to have good rubber on your tires, so don't ever be cheap when it comes to tires. As soon as the tread looks the slightest bit thin (about 8K miles) replace them!!! First choice buy "Metzler ME880's" best all around tire for the money. DEFINATELY better than Dunlops in the rain. The last pair of Metzlers I purchased cost me less than $200 for the tires and $45 to have them mounted and balanced. A small price to pay for a major safety item!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 09:53:53 AM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

BikerPilot

• Bike, Fly, Dive
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 10:31:46 PM »

I've ridden many thousands of miles in the rain over the years.  As was appropriately said above, good rubber, slow down, and use common sense for braking and cornering...plus give yourself more room, of course.  As for brakes, they won't be an issue...they work!

But here's another water topic.  Two months ago, I went through some standing water.  No big deal, except, as it turned out, it had algae in it, which is as slippery as owl chit.  Felt like I hit ice!  One broken leg and $5K damage to my Ultra later, I learned another lesson.  

First time down in 30 years!

Ya'll be careful out there!

PS  Eight weeks later, the leg and Ultra are healed.
03 SE Deuce
03 Silver/Black Anniversary Ultra
02 1200 Sportster, highly customized
Married to a Harley Girl (yea, she also has 3 Harleys), and father to a Bueller

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 08:45:23 AM »

Bikerpilot glads to hear you and the bike have mended,  welcome to the site.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 12:01:39 PM »

Standing water is almost never a good idea.  Many places actually develop sink holes inside standing water.  That little puddle could be a foot-deep hole in the pavement.  That'll screw you up if you hit it fast or slow.  Be careful guys, and try to stay away from any standing water.  It's just not worth it!

Page created in 4.863 seconds with 22 queries.