Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Primary Bearing  (Read 7095 times)

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
Re: Primary Bearing
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »

Here's my compare/contrast of the two.

A tensioner is needed to keep the chain tight (but not guitar string tight), and needs to be adjusted as the chain wears and stretches.
But, a chain stretches unevenly which causes the chain to run loose,tight,loose,tight,etc as it spins around the gears.

A manual tensioner has to be adjusted periodically (and correctly) because of this.
Is the chain cold/hot, new/old, loose/tight, etc are all variables that make this tough to get "just right".

A "auto/spring" tensioner should be able keep the chain tight without manual adjustment, and allow for uneven stretching/wear, and temp variations.

Harley's auto tensioner has a spring behind the ramp, that tightens the chain to the "correct" tension.
The ramp's ratchet prevent the ramp from moving backwards, thus maintaining the "correct" tension.
Another set of springs are between the shoe and the ramp, which is supposed to allow for uneven chain stretch.
As the chain spins around the gears the shoe can "untension" slightly when the chain runs tight(er).
I believe this "untension" is also to allow for expansion when the primary heats up to operating temp.

The "Wedge" has a single spring behind the ramp, which does NOT ratchet.
As the chain spins around the gears the ramp can move back and forth to allow the shoe to "tension/untension".
There is a hydraulic valve within the wedge that is supposed to maintain the "correct" tension,
but allow slight movement to allow for uneven chain stretch and temperature variation.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »

Not necessarily Mike.  The SOHB hydraulic version doesn't have a ratchet like the Harley part, so it can't overtighten and then not back off like the stock piece.  The problem with the Harley part, IMHO, is strictly due to the ratchet.  If it was just spring loaded, and they used the proper strength spring of course, it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure why they thought they needed the ratchet, a simple spring is what is used in the old Hayden M6 tensioner for the 06 and earlier models, and they have been around and performing satifactorily for decades.

Jerry

Is it worth changing to the SOHB version? I have to change the primary fluid anyway in the month or so.....it's just one more gasket....

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

Perhaps I've just been lucky.  But I've not had an issue with the ratcheting style tensioner.  Though I do think it's amusing that Baker goes to the trouble of offering an old non-automatic tensioner as an upgrade rather than doing something like the Hayden or HB125 hydrualic units to offer to the market for the newer bikes.

ditto...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »

Would be nice if Jim HD-Dude would voice his opinion on this subject. Is the auto-tensioner causing issues with the Primary Inner Bearing? Do we really need to revert back to the manual tensioner. This would require removing the Primary cover since Harley removed the inspection cover.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »

Would be nice if Jim HD-Dude would voice his opinion on this subject. Is the auto-tensioner causing issues with the Primary Inner Bearing? Do we really need to revert back to the manual tensioner. This would require removing the Primary cover since Harley removed the inspection cover.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

Or at least changing to an after-market auto tensioner that works better that HD's....

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »

The early versions of the HD tensioner did have a few issues with ratcheting up and being too tight on the chain. Even had one with a broken chain :o  ..... I have not seen issues with the HD unit in quite some time now. As far as the aftermarket goes the Hot Bike unit is good and have installed them in many early style (pre-07) bikes and a few in the 07+ bikes as well.

Typically if we have a primary noise issue it has been comp related or inner primary bearing issues.

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »

While were on the topic of bakers Chain Tensioner being a step backwards here's a new take on a familier name
hayden is offering a system like the H6
http://www.haydensm6.com/m6_bt07.htm
Read a bit about it here
Might have to give this some serious look thought...
paul
Ride safe

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 08:18:40 AM »

Decided to take the plunge and get one
Order 3 seems like a resolution to a possible concern
Since I'm up grading my motor I needed to up grade the clutch
I went with the Primo Rivera Clutch
Its recommended to run a lesser amount of fluid then most stock systems and since the reduced amount of fluid could possibly affect the SOHO chain tennsioner (even if it was acting up in the earlier released versions)
I'll keep you guys abreast on how it performs
FWIW
Hayden will not send the units till the instructions arrive to there location to be included in the packaging
Even if we are aware of how the installation is supposed to be they still wont release them so I won't be getting mine till the end of the month... :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg:
paul
Ride safe

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »

Decided to take the plunge and get one
Order 3 seems like a resolution to a possible concern
Since I'm up grading my motor I needed to up grade the clutch
I went with the Primo Rivera Clutch
Its recommended to run a lesser amount of fluid then most stock systems and since the reduced amount of fluid could possibly affect the SOHO chain tennsioner (even if it was acting up in the earlier released versions)
I'll keep you guys abreast on how it performs
FWIW
Hayden will not send the units till the instructions arrive to there location to be included in the packaging
Even if we are aware of how the installation is supposed to be they still wont release them so I won't be getting mine till the end of the month... :smilie_daumenneg: :smilie_daumenneg:
paul

Looking forward to the update :2vrolijk_21:

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »

Not necessarily Mike.  The SOHB hydraulic version doesn't have a ratchet like the Harley part, so it can't overtighten and then not back off like the stock piece.  The problem with the Harley part, IMHO, is strictly due to the ratchet.  If it was just spring loaded, and they used the proper strength spring of course, it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure why they thought they needed the ratchet, a simple spring is what is used in the old Hayden M6 tensioner for the 06 and earlier models, and they have been around and performing satifactorily for decades.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, actually our BT07 is done with research and development and is now produced and on the market.

http://www.haydensm6.com/m6_bt07.htm
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »

Looking forward to the update :2vrolijk_21:

These are in stock and shipping daily.

Let us know if you have any questions, we're here to help all you guys.
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.