Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinions on Pulling Trailers  (Read 1770 times)

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
Opinions on Pulling Trailers
« on: July 15, 2012, 12:07:29 AM »

Just went to a funeral today, our Hog group was asked by the widow to make an appearance so we did. I'm new to the area so I didn't know the man but reading something from the family, it looks like the were pulling a tent trailer, that was one of the pictures on the collage, he had an ice chest and some other items on it. Looked to me to be alot of stuff back there.
Just trying to get others opinions for pulling trailers.I for one don't plan to but seem to see quite a few lately. That seemed to be a contributing factor in the crash, had to brake hard and fast causing bike to fish tail passenger thrown and he didn't make it.
I don't know but seems tpo me if you have to take all that with you maybe you should get a convertable. What do you think?   :(
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

hogasm

Re: Opinions on Pulling Trailers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »

As with pulling anything with anything, you must know your limitations. One thing I was taught is that you can pull a house with a Pinto but you have to stop it sometime.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »

stopping is the issue, if you carefully study gcvwr you will find that its not a axle wt rating - its the braking limit. hd gvwr is something like 1200, bike, passengers, load - two "not thin" adults will exceed the gvwr on a dresser so there is no available braking capacity for a suitcase let alone a trailer.

it IS a problem with no clear solution - the axle wt ratings are higher and the bikes will obviously carry more - but stopping is another issue. with cars and trucks trailers over a certain size [1500lb or so] have to have brakes that activate with the car brakes - almost nobody pulling trailers with bikes use trailer brakes mostly because, as i understand it, the effect that the trailer brakes coming on in a corner may have on the bike.

10 years ago i started running a sidecar again - it brings the gcvwr up to 1600 lb, - well within the limits for me and my bride and a pile of stuff.

but a small trailer would bring me over the limit again.

its NOT the go that matters, its NOT the tire capacity that matters [though on dressers it IS easy to overload the rear tire] its the stopping that matters.

to

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »

Had the opportunity to pull a trailer with electric brakes. You can adjust the amount of braking via a controller. the trailer did not have the negative effect I would have thought while applying hard braking while in a curve....it actually helped the bike maintain stability while in the curve. I was surprised and will be looking hard into electric brakes for my trailers.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »

Yup, what he said.  And with no brake on that trailer, stopping with control in a panic situation is dicey at best.  In other words, there are perfectly legitimate reasons why H-D does not endorse trailer towing.

Yes, if you're careful (and lucky), you can trailer for a lifetime without major incident.  But it is inherently less safe than riding without a trailer, IMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »

Yup.  Brakes are the issue, IMHO.

Friends let a 3rd party drive their toy hauler.  Had 3 Harleys in the rear.  No way it was overweight.  He managed to roll the rig because he got it fish tailing a little and didn't use trailer brakes.  Small or large you can get into trouble.  Talk about a tank slapper!

I have a Uni-Go that is set up for my '01 Road Glide.  Almost never use it but it's small enough to not get you in too much trouble and it will carry a tent, chairs, general camping crap that is nice to have on the road.  No brakes on it!! lol

May he RIP.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »

It might be nice to have room for lawn chairs and camping gear but this is a motorcycle
trip. If you need that much stuff, then just put your bike on a trailer and pull it behind
your truck. you will have all the room you need to pack anything you want and still
have your bike to ride when you get there and it will be safer.
Otherwise just pack lite and ride the bike. JMHO.

Whatever you do, ride safe!! :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »

It might be nice to have room for lawn chairs and camping gear but this is a motorcycle
trip. If you need that much stuff, then just put your bike on a trailer and pull it behind
your truck. you will have all the room you need to pack anything you want and still
have your bike to ride when you get there and it will be safer.
Otherwise just pack lite and ride the bike. JMHO.

Whatever you do, ride safe!! :2vrolijk_21:

:2vrolijk_21:   There was a time not all that long ago when many of us were drawn to bikes as a way to get away from it all.  Now it seems we have way too many people who want the experience but with all the comforts of home and the eight passenger SUV.  We have constant bitching about the heat on these bikes for instance.  It's a motorcycle folks, and you are sitting right on top of a big hot hunk of aluminum and really hot steel exhaust pipes.  If you want cool, take the SUV.  If you want to take enough stuff for a months stay, take the SUV.  If you need to haul camping gear, huge ice chests, etc, but still want to ride the bike a bit, attach a trailer to the SUV and haul the bike.  IT"S A MOTORCYCLE FOR PETE'S SAKE, NOT A MOTORHOME!

Jerry  ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »

That's about the conclusion I've come to as well.  I entertained getting a trailer to pull behind the bike, but for what one cost (4-5K), I can just about buy a brand new 14' tandem axle, enclosed.  Have some cabinets and a closet in it, stick the bike in there on one side, and have all the room in the world for my car camping gear and whatever else I want to put in there.  Hell, with insulated walls, electrical hookup, and an A/C, I could sleep in it with what I have for camping gear and be totally comfy.  Even take the dogs and their crates.  The BSR is not going to go camping on the bike, and it's not difficult to pack the bike up for two people and a weeks worth of clothes/gear and when they get funky, take a day to wash.  I don't have to stay in fancy motels every night...just a clean room and shower and I'm good to go.  I'm just sleeping there, after all.  My BSR would LIKE to take a bunch of chit, but I put my foot down  ::) ;)  So I get one saddlebag.   :huepfenlol2:

I do understand that nice trailers, like Bushtec's, pull very well.  But I've never pulled any kind of trailer that I didn't know was back there when it came to stopping, even with brakes on the trailer.  So I've abandoned that idea.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »

I pull a trailer and believe I know my limitations, braking is the part of trailering that requires the most attention.
I pull a trailer for the convenience and unhook when I reach my destination.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »

As with pulling anything with anything, you must know your limitations. One thing I was taught is that you can pull a house with a Pinto but you have to stop it sometime.

I have pulled an American Legend for over 10,000 miles.
Never had an issue. But as Brian said above, you must know your limitations.
While stopping I always remembered it was there. When it was raining and time to stop I coasted to a stop.
As Brian said above, you must know your limitations.

stopping is the issue,
its NOT the go that matters, its NOT the tire capacity that matters [though on dressers it IS easy to overload the rear tire] its the stopping that matters.
to

Very true Timo!

Yes, if you're careful (and lucky), you can trailer for a lifetime without major incident.  But it is inherently less safe than riding without a trailer, IMHO.
Jerry

Lets pick the poison, is riding a motorcycle safe, or is riding a motorcycle without a helmet safe, is exceeding the speed limit on a motorcycle safe, is drinking while riding your motorcycle safe?  

As with pulling anything with anything, you must know your limitations.

I read the above and realize, maybe pulling a trailer isn't the problem, it may be the operator.

That's about the conclusion I've come to as well.  I entertained getting a trailer to pull behind the bike, but for what one cost (4-5K),
I've abandoned that idea.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
We ride the most expensive bikes the Harley Davidson Motor Company makes, then after purchase we spend another 3 to 5K+ on them and complain about the cost of a trailer.

I think it's about choice, if you don't think you can handle the added responsibility of pulling a trailer behind a motorcycle then don't.
If your an idiot and act like an idiot when pulling/stopping a trailer then most likely that trailer will contribute to a shortened riding experience.
But will that be the trailers fault?
My American Legend was fairly heavy, my N-Line trailer was lighter, I like my Bushtec the best, but every time before I hit the brakes when pulling it I think about what is going to happen.

As with pulling anything with anything, you must know your limitations.

Knowing your limitations applies to much more than just pulling a trailer.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

I have pulled an American Legend for over 10,000 miles.
Never had an issue. But as Brian said above, you must know your limitations.
While stopping I always remembered it was there. When it was raining and time to stop I coasted to a stop.
As Brian said above, you must know your limitations.

Very true Timo!

Lets pick the poison, is riding a motorcycle safe, or is riding a motorcycle without a helmet safe, is exceeding the speed limit on a motorcycle safe, is drinking while riding your motorcycle safe?  

I read the above and realize, maybe pulling a trailer isn't the problem, it may be the operator.

We ride the most expensive bikes the Harley Davidson Motor Company makes, then after purchase we spend another 3 to 5K+ on them and complain about the cost of a trailer.

I think it's about choice, if you don't think you can handle the added responsibility of pulling a trailer behind a motorcycle then don't.
If your an idiot and act like an idiot when pulling/stopping a trailer then most likely that trailer will contribute to a shortened riding experience.
But will that be the trailers fault?
My American Legend was fairly heavy, my N-Line trailer was lighter, I like my Bushtec the best, but every time before I hit the brakes when pulling it I think about what is going to happen.

Knowing your limitations applies to much more than just pulling a trailer.

SBB

I'm in the group with Chip, I have pulled some very big trailers a Hannigan for one and some smaller ones, currently back to a Bushtec.  When I pull it I am always aware of it being there and when braking take it into consideration.   

Sorry for the poor guy that had one get away from him, my condolences to his friends and family.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »

I don't think anyone is complaining about the cost of a trailer, though it is certainly a factor for some of us.  There are other factors involved with a trailer as well...a big one is that there's no if's, and's, or but's that the ESP will not cover the bike if they know the bike pulls a trailer.  For those who don't have the ESP, that's no big deal.  If I have to choose between having a trailer to pull behind the bike, or having a trailer FOR the bike, I will choose the latter.  For me, if I feel the need to take a bunch of stuff with me when riding the bike, I'd prefer to trailer the bike to the area I'm going to be in for any given period of time, set up camp or whatever, and ride in a 200 mile radius of the area.  Rinse and repeat.

Certainly, one should be fully aware of the consequences of pulling a trailer, whether it's behind a bike, a truck, or a car.  It will ad to your stopping distances so one must drive/ride with that in mind at all times.  There is one big difference, however...I can buy a car or truck rated to pull almost any size trailer I choose to pull.  The drivetrain and other components will be enhanced to do so.  A motorcycle is not designed to pull a trailer...period.  That is an undisputable fact.  It CAN be done, and done safely.  But the bike is not designed to pull the addtional weight.  Whether it actually hurts anything to do so is another question.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »

I don't think anyone is complaining about the cost of a trailer, though it is certainly a factor for some of us.  There are other factors involved with a trailer as well...a big one is that there's no if's, and's, or but's that the ESP will not cover the bike if they know the bike pulls a trailer.  For those who don't have the ESP, that's no big deal.  If I have to choose between having a trailer to pull behind the bike, or having a trailer FOR the bike, I will choose the latter.  For me, if I feel the need to take a bunch of stuff with me when riding the bike, I'd prefer to trailer the bike to the area I'm going to be in for any given period of time, set up camp or whatever, and ride in a 200 mile radius of the area.  Rinse and repeat.

Certainly, one should be fully aware of the consequences of pulling a trailer, whether it's behind a bike, a truck, or a car.  It will ad to your stopping distances so one must drive/ride with that in mind at all times.  There is one big difference, however...I can buy a car or truck rated to pull almost any size trailer I choose to pull.  The drivetrain and other components will be enhanced to do so.  A motorcycle is not designed to pull a trailer...period.  That is an undisputable fact.  It CAN be done, and done safely.  But the bike is not designed to pull the addtional weight.  Whether it actually hurts anything to do so is another question.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »

I pull a trailer because most of my riding is long distance touring, two-up.  Even on long trips in the summer I carry cold weather gear because in the mountains it can be very cold even in summer.  Carrying complete colthing for dry/wet/hot/cold weather for two people takes a ton of storage.  And I find that loading a bag on top of my tour-pak adversely affects the handling on anything but straight roads.

I've pulled trailers (well over 100k miles) since the 80s and Bushtecs since '99 with no problems, thank goodness.  I know it can adversely affect braking in emergency situations.  I focus on avoiding situations that require maximum braking - a good idea in any case, imo.   :2vrolijk_21:

I practice braking often to keep my skills sharp and build confidence in how the bike feels and reacts.  If one pulls a trailer he/she should practice braking with the trailer so they will know what to expect on the road.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:25:41 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 22 queries.