Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2005 CVO Electra Glide Backfires On Hot Restart  (Read 9550 times)

fos41

• Full CVO Member
2005 CVO Electra Glide Backfires On Hot Restart
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:21:20 PM »

I am new to this forum and Harleys. Just bought my first ever 2005  H D. CVO Electra Glide and having issues on hot restarts. The bikke has 18500 miles and wheeses back through the throttle body and belches smoke from the airfilter Any  ideas on how to resolve this? The dealer has little knowledge on this bikes  service history. Has aftermarket exhausts and the airfilter mod. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: 2005 CVO Electra Glide Backfires On Hot Restart
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:47 PM »

Sounds like pre ignition before intake valve closes.

battery low charge not turning engine fast enough?

bad compensator or starter stalling.

needs possible new map?

low octane fuel detonating before ignition  (dieseling)

any of the above.

try the cheapest correction first, Like fuel

good luck.

mine ended being a bad compensator, after changing battery and starter.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »

The bike had been sitting at the dealer for a few months. Put fresh gas in it put 60 ish miles on it with no improvement.

Each times it"sneezes" I attempt to start it again and the starter spins the engine over normally and the bike will start and run normal.

The bike runs normal on the road with the exception of what I fell is erratic idle when slowing for a stop light 

The "map" I have no clue about that. The E.G. has true dual exausts and air filter mod is the only thing I can say with any certainty. The dealer was no help in advising me in any maner other than "bring it in"!

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »

To change the "MAP"  that would require the purchase of a "Tuner".   

Many available and everyone has an opinion on which one is best. (the require a setup time mostly with a dyno) can run 400.00 - over 1500.00 depending what is needed

if you changed the fuel to a high octane quality fuel.

then my next step would be to find out if you have compression releases and are they functional.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:54:35 AM »

I do not think that my bike has compression releases. Which tuner is the more desireable one to have?

I know there are several out on the market this question seems to be a hot topic from my research.

Thanks,
Donnie

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »

I do not think that my bike has compression releases. Which tuner is the more desireable one to have?

I know there are several out on the market this question seems to be a hot topic from my research.

Thanks,
Donnie

Can of worms and a ton of opinions. I will only speak for the one I know: Revolution with dual oxygen sensors, this system has been well beyond anything else I have seen. Self tuning system by changing to open loop instead of closed loop that our 2005 bikes came with. Jim at Metal Dragon aka HDDude here did the work, more information from him if you need it.

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:48:40 PM »

Unless the bike has been messed with I don't know why you would need a tuner and new mapping? I had issues similar on a Road King one time, cam adjustment sensor fixed it! My current bike spitted and sputtered on occasion, when I pulled in the clutch to slow down it would die. Then sounded terrible when I went to restart. I would turn the switch off, back on, then it would start! Crank Adjustment Sensor fixed that one!! Good Luck!!

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

Thanks for your input Kenny. I had just bought the bike when I made the post and you are right about different opinions on the best tuner on the market. There are dozens out  there!

I have learned more about my bike since the original post. I found my SEEG HAS A Ppwer Commander 3 USB tuner on it. The general concensus is I have "confused programing" on my ECM.
I have not had the time yet to verify  the programing that is installed on  the PC3 USB.

Donnie

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »

*Update: Running (all rpm`s), starting and vibration at idle problem greatly improved! Ditched the Power Commander usb3!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »

Two thoughts, 1st, if you have a stage 1 air cleaner you need some type of tuner.

2nd, try cracking the throttle a bit when you start it.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »

Thanks Porthole. I have not tried opening the throttle on starts. Nearly all of my start and run issues have been eliminated by removing the Power Commander and using the stock ECM. One of 10 start attempts now this “hiccup” occurs. I do have what is considered stage 1 (air filter and exhaust).

DD883

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2 2005
    • Harley-Davidson new or used parts for swap
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »

I am new to this forum and Harleys. Just bought my first ever 2005  H D. CVO Electra Glide and having issues on hot restarts. The bikke has 18500 miles and wheeses back through the throttle body and belches smoke from the airfilter Any  ideas on how to resolve this? The dealer has little knowledge on this bikes  service history. Has aftermarket exhausts and the airfilter mod. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi all
'got the same problem! :o

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »

Hi everyone,

It appears the hot re-start backfire issue has been resolved after a long learning curve. First attempt: Tune-up w/ H.D. wires, and plugs no change after removing the Dynajet programmer I was fooled at first thinking the problem was gone, but it was restart backfire was still there w/ H.D. ecm.

I was able to connect with a tec. at Dyna jet and after several program changes same issue backfiring on hot restarts. All along not happy with the Rinehart system (2" headers) that came with the bike I replaced the exhaust with a different system instantly problem solved! After more than 100 hot restarts instant startup everytime! I appreciate everyones input.

Donnie

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »

Awesome!!!!! Glad to hear that. Nothing like a well tuned Hog!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »

Thanks Kenny C, she runs sweet/Smooth and has strong torque and a delite to ride! Now after getting the tune sorted I saw a yellow CVO Road Glide near me that I fell in love with last night online. Decisions, Decisions!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.