Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: battry suggestions  (Read 1308 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

battry suggestions
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »

Would much appreciate some ideas on the problem I've got.  I have an 07 ultra not been over run 6000 mil, on the clock. My battry on test will read 12.16 the volt dash dial will say 9v. I go to start up get  two cranks that's it. I retest the bat & it's at 11.92. By theway it's the original. bat. Aug 07. Don't know what life span of H.D. bats are?

NSTY110RIDER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: battry suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:13:38 AM »

The battery in my '08 SERK just failed and I have kept it on a Battery Tender.  I think 3 to 4 years is about average out of a battery.
2008 Screamin Eagle Road King

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »

Lots of posts concerning battery issues and life on this forum.  My experience is it's the individual battery.  I've had batteries last 3-4 years and a couple that didn't make it 2.  All were HD batteries.  I don't put mine on tender as I ride year around.  I suggest getting a new one.  One thing with voltage on HD's, you need to keep it as consistent as possible as one weak link can do havoc on the electrics so ditch the old one and get new... :2vrolijk_21:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »

How are you testing? If you use a meter, there is no load and the battery will read OK. Put a load on it and it prob drops to 6 or 7 VDC...........bad cell.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »

I keep mine on a tender thru the winter still going strong. (knock on wood)
I was at a rally a few weeks ago saw a vender selling Lithium battery for Harleys.

www.earthxmotorsports.com

My Question has anyone tried one of these?

They are smaller so they come with a spacer to keep it from moving around in the battery box, and much lighter.
I would love to hear some reports on these before I need one.
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »

Mine is an 06, I keep it on a tender all the time but it was time to replace it this year. GRC (Jerry) suggested a Dekka as a replacement which is what I got, they make the HD batteries but sell them without the HD sticker for about half the price!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »

Thanks for all the feed back :2vrolijk_21:. Since my last thread spoke with a gees he says to  take a car bat. jump it to the the bike bat take a volt reading. Fire it up, if it cranks & fires that will eliminate any stater fault. Shut it down take another volt check leve the jumps hooked up for a cuple of days. Then take again a volt check if it hasent dropped by doing this I could eliminate any power drain. Would this seem fesable to say the bats. failed :nixweiss:

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »

I keep mine on a tender thru the winter still going strong. (knock on wood)
I was at a rally a few weeks ago saw a vender selling Lithium battery for Harleys.

www.earthxmotorsports.com

My Question has anyone tried one of these?

They are smaller so they come with a spacer to keep it from moving around in the battery box, and much lighter.
I would love to hear some reports on these before I need one.

Just read up on these.  Quite interesting and will be even more interesting to see how they fair. Kinda expensive tho,
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »

Thanks for all the feed back :2vrolijk_21:. Since my last thread spoke with a gees he says to  take a car bat. jump it to the the bike bat take a volt reading. Fire it up, if it cranks & fires that will eliminate any stater fault. Shut it down take another volt check leve the jumps hooked up for a cuple of days. Then take again a volt check if it hasent dropped by doing this I could eliminate any power drain. Would this seem fesable to say the bats. failed :nixweiss:

It would be much easier to just have the battery load tested.  In the USA most car and motorcycle shops can load test batteries, and many of our auto supply stores will actually test them for free. 

At five years old, and with the symptoms and voltages you originally posted, I'd say the odds are very high that your battery is ready for the grave yard.  A fully charged battery should have open circuit (no load) voltage across the terminals of 12.8 volts.  And when you crank the engine, the voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts.  If you leave the voltmeter hooked up to the battery as you crank the engine, I'll bet your voltage is dropping well below that figure.  Make sure you use a real voltmeter, not the gauge on the dash, to do your testing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:02 PM »

It would be much easier to just have the battery load tested.  In the USA most car and motorcycle shops can load test batteries, and many of our auto supply stores will actually test them for free. 

At five years old, and with the symptoms and voltages you originally posted, I'd say the odds are very high that your battery is ready for the grave yard.  A fully charged battery should have open circuit (no load) voltage across the terminals of 12.8 volts.  And when you crank the engine, the voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts.  If you leave the voltmeter hooked up to the battery as you crank the engine, I'll bet your voltage is dropping well below that figure.  Make sure you use a real voltmeter, not the gauge on the dash, to do your testing.

Jerry
Thanks for that Jerry no one has sugested any thing about this load testing. I'll check in to it thums up  :2vrolijk_21: cheers :2vrolijk_09:

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 22 queries.