Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Goodbye 2009, Hello 2013  (Read 2918 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Goodbye 2009, Hello 2013
« on: December 01, 2012, 12:02:40 AM »

I got a call from my dealer this morning that they had a VIN for me, but the bike probably wouldn't ship until Monday.  When I arrived at the dealer to take care of some paperwork this evening, I was greeted by my new  CUSE8-ANV (#384 of 1100), which had inexplicably arrived in the late afternoon.  They couldn't explain, and I didn't complain.  So, I said a sad goodbye to Ruby, and rode off into the darkness. 

Contrary to my comment in a previous post, being built on the general assembly line didn't necessarily eliminate the glitches.  The "turn-by-turn" navigation is silent when connected to the bike.  Off of the bike it works fine.  I assume that it is the Nav interface.  The toe shifter is so low that I can barely fit my boot under it to shift, and when I tried to adjust the passenger foot rests, I nearly broke my knuckles trying to loosen the bolt.  I was able to move it about a quarter turn before it stopped entirely, and I could neither adjust the position, nor retighten the bolt.  I assume that it was cross threaded.  Some of it is probably due to a rushed preparation at the dealership, trying to get it ready for me so that I could use it this weekend.  I'll be taking it back in on Monday to have all of the goodies installed (Daymaker LEDs, SERT, Fullsac Xpipe, hinges, etc.), so I'll put together a hit list this weekend.

On the plus side, this bike seems to have a far more refined ride than the 2009.  It could just be the new bike glow that makes it seem better, but I don't think so.  It seems to have a lighter touch and is better balanced.  Also, gone is the transmission clunk when you drop it into first gear, and lo and behold, the heated hand grips actually put out heat!

Temps are in the 50s/60s this weekend, so I'll be doing some breaking in!

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
Re: Goodbye 2009, Hello 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »

Congratulations on the new bike.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:01:37 AM »

I got a call from my dealer this morning that they had a VIN for me, but the bike probably wouldn't ship until Monday.  When I arrived at the dealer to take care of some paperwork this evening, I was greeted by my new  CUSE8-ANV (#384 of 1100), which had inexplicably arrived in the late afternoon.  They couldn't explain, and I didn't complain.  So, I said a sad goodbye to Ruby, and rode off into the darkness. 

Contrary to my comment in a previous post, being built on the general assembly line didn't necessarily eliminate the glitches.  The "turn-by-turn" navigation is silent when connected to the bike.  Off of the bike it works fine.  I assume that it is the Nav interface.  The toe shifter is so low that I can barely fit my boot under it to shift, and when I tried to adjust the passenger foot rests, I nearly broke my knuckles trying to loosen the bolt.  I was able to move it about a quarter turn before it stopped entirely, and I could neither adjust the position, nor retighten the bolt.  I assume that it was cross threaded.  Some of it is probably due to a rushed preparation at the dealership, trying to get it ready for me so that I could use it this weekend.  I'll be taking it back in on Monday to have all of the goodies installed (Daymaker LEDs, SERT, Fullsac Xpipe, hinges, etc.), so I'll put together a hit list this weekend.

On the plus side, this bike seems to have a far more refined ride than the 2009.  It could just be the new bike glow that makes it seem better, but I don't think so.  It seems to have a lighter touch and is better balanced.  Also, gone is the transmission clunk when you drop it into first gear, and lo and behold, the heated hand grips actually put out heat!

Temps are in the 50s/60s this weekend, so I'll be doing some breaking in!

Woode, congrats on the bike.  I can't believe I haven't run into you anywhere around the area riding.  I haven't seen you again since New River Gorge.  My Ruby is sitting at Hot Metal for sale and I picked up a '12 a few months back.  I' assuming that you picked yours up at Steel City...I think I remember that being the dealer you go to. One of the guys I ride with has the bike you just picked up.  It's a beauty, so I think you will certainly enjoy it.

As far as the GPS not playing through the speakers, check the speaker switch position next to the ignition.  Also, when I tried mine at first, I thought I had a problem, and then I set everything up on the GPS and finally took it for a ride and it began working and hasn't stopped.  I think that when I first tried it, I had it in my garage, and apparently it just hadn't connected with the satellites or something.  It was showing the routes, but there was no voice.  If I took it off the bike and walked outside, it worked fine.  Check that the volume for the GPS is turned up also.

I'm finding the same with the handling on my new one too.  Much better.  The heated grips absolutely blow away the ones on the 09.  As far as the bolts on the passenger floorboards, I actually had to drill into the center of the bolt heads to get an allen head deep enough in there to get those bolts out.  If you want to replace them with chrome (or they may be polished stainless) bolts, let me know and I'll get you the info on where I ordered them.  They were about $4/bolt and much better bolts.  The position of the shifter can be fixed in less than 5 minutes.

Anyway, if you ever want to get together for a ride, or even to check out each other's mods, I ride with 3 other guys that also have SEUC's.  There's an '11.5, two '12's, and a '13 Anniversary in our group.  We will likely be out riding today and tomorrow (Saturday and Sunday that is).  Shoot me a PM with a phone or e-mail and we can figure a good place to meet up.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:23:58 AM »

Landshark - Thanks.

Dave, Yes I got it at Steel City - I really like them, and I think that they gave me a pretty good deal.

I already tried everything that you mentioned with the GPS.  It didn't work on the road or in the house - I definitely had a satellite fix.  The GPS worked, but just no sound with turn by turn.  I turned up the volume on the bike, and on the zumo.  The radio actually goes silent when the gps is supposed to be talking, but no talking happens. I know that there is separate volume adjustment on the bike for the nav stuff, and you have to adjust the volume when she is talking.  It's turned up all the way.  The fact that the radio goes silent tells me that some sort of signal is going to the nav interface, and when I disconnect the unit from the bike, it works fine.

By the way, I sent you a PM.

Ed

HHP

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Street Glide Ruby Red
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:35:41 AM »

Congrats from Germany on your new bike.

Ride safe and have fun.
Sportster 883 / Dyna Super Glide / E-Glide Standard / Heritage Springer / Heritage Classic / Night Rod / Softail Deluxe / CVO Street Glide

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:43:17 AM »

The same exact thing was happening with mine...it was cutting in with silence.  I can't remember exactly what it was now that solved it, but I'm still thinking that it had something to do with getting a fix on the satellites.  I remember thinking that it had a fix, since I was getting routes to show up, but I wasn't getting the voice to come through.  When you ride to Steel City in the morning, put the GPS on and put the route in to get there and see if it comes on while you are on your way there.  I wish I could remember exactly how it all worked out.  Maybe it will come back to me when I'm on the bike tomorrow.

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »

:worthless:
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

Uncle Fester

• Hostage of the MoCo
  • Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: '13 FLHRSE3 "Serafina"
    • CVO2: '11 FLTRUSE "Pazia"
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »

Landshark - Thanks.

Dave, Yes I got it at Steel City - I really like them, and I think that they gave me a pretty good deal.

I already tried everything that you mentioned with the GPS.  It didn't work on the road or in the house - I definitely had a satellite fix.  The GPS worked, but just no sound with turn by turn.  I turned up the volume on the bike, and on the zumo.  The radio actually goes silent when the gps is supposed to be talking, but no talking happens. I know that there is separate volume adjustment on the bike for the nav stuff, and you have to adjust the volume when she is talking.  It's turned up all the way.  The fact that the radio goes silent tells me that some sort of signal is going to the nav interface, and when I disconnect the unit from the bike, it works fine.

By the way, I sent you a PM.

Ed

Check the speaker rocker switch position. I had the NIM and Zumo on my Road Glide; if it's in the "center" position, it mutes the stereo audio and plays the turn prompts through your helmet speakers.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

Here is a glitch (software related, I think) that I discovered, if you have your GPS off of the bike while setting a destination, and then (while still on) latch to mount, it will not feed through speakers. Try mounting on bike with GPS off, start bike and see if that works.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »

Congrats! Enjoy the new scoot!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

Congrats on the new bike! Let the mods begin.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »

Where's the pictures  :nixweiss:  Congrats on getting your Aniversary CVO  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »

Congrats on a beautiful bike!
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »

Congrats on the SEUC! Love to see pics of the Anniversary model.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »

Congrat on the new bike!!

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »

Congrats on the new bike! It is an odd feeling to part with an old friend for a new ride but I am sure that we all adjust. :D

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »

:worthless:
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »

OK, OK, Pix in a minute, although you all already know what it looks like!

Had it out on the road for a few hours yesterday, and my initial impressions were correct - This bike blows away the 2009 in comfort, maneuverability (particularly low speed), and overall refinement. I am still finding small things that were half done, or not done at all... Braces on foot pegs were put on backwards; the mid frame heat shield was rattling, and I found that the bolts were only put in about half way; The cable on the heated seat was not plugged in; and the weather seal around the lid-lock cable for the left saddlebag fell out. Minor issues so far, but what if something was overlooked that is more dangerous to life and limb?  It makes you wonder - if my decidedly untrained/non-mechanical eye can find these things, why can't the professionals?  It's a bit unsettling!  The dealer fixed the toe shifter yesterday, so I can at least get my boot underneath it to shift.

Also, thanks to everyone for your suggestions on the GPS issue.  Dave (1abastarsmda) solved it for me in a PM yesterday, and a couple of others posted similar replies to this post.  The speaker rocker switch was in the middle position, so the turn by turn only went to the helmet.

I am also seeing the same iPod issue that has been reported in other posts, where it will play for a few seconds, and then go silent.  Shutting off radio, or cycling through the audio options did not help, but selecting a new playlist did.

Pictures to follow!

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »

#6 - Last one

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

Very nice!!!! :orange:

Enjoy the ride!  I too found a lot of "loose" stuff and went over it the best I could and asked my private shop to go over it and he said all is good. Don't trust the HD too much to check it.

Rich
2013 FLTRXSE2

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »

Is that a Syn sticker on the primary cover over the 110?

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »

Is that a Syn sticker on the primary cover over the 110?
Hmmm...  Don't know what a syn sticker is, but after you mentioned it, I did find (and removed) a plastic sticker warning to not remove the cover.  Never even noticed it.  Thanks for the eagle eye :2vrolijk_21:

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »

I thought that it might be the sticker that said that it uses Syn-3 oil in the primary case.

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:13 AM »

That is a beautiful ride. Congratulations.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »

Super Nice lookin bike! :2vrolijk_21:  Congrats & enjoy! :xyxthumbs:
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »

Woode,

I think thats the best looking 2013, and very well equipped LOOKS GOOD man  ;D

C-YA Ohiophil

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »

Nice  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 21 queries.