Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this compensator sprocket toast?  (Read 8017 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Is this compensator sprocket toast?
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »

I'm trying to get a photo of a damaged compensator sprocket posted.  The compensator has two areas that are gouged but not as bad as the sprocket.  This is a SE Compensator kit with 20,000 miles on it.  It looks like I may have to replace the compensator, primary chain, and clutch hub.  I already have a post looking for an after market clutch hub.  What do you think? Does this need to be replaced? 

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Is this compensator sprocket toast?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »

The dealer replaced mine after they disassembled the entire assembly. Quite frankly, mine looked 10 times better than yours. It didn't even look too scuffed. So they put it back together while I waited. I couldn't force them to replace it because it didn't look bad.

About an hour later after they put it back together and took it out for a ride they called me in back and they noise I had described was there. Left the bike with them and they replaced to SE Compensator.

Problem solved.

The design is just not right. If mine with minimal looking wear is trouble I can on,y imagine yours must be noisy as all heck.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »

Ray-

Your compensator looked like mine at 20,000 miles also (worn ramps and the rusty interior of the  compensator hub)..
I replace mine on my own dime.  Found mine when I tore down to replace the inner primary seal that was leaking.

What does your clutch hub look like (Pictures)??

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »

The clutch hub was sent to Energy One to see about another plate kit.  It looked like the spring went past the threaded post and just chewed up the opposite side.  Ken @ Energy One will try to diagnose what my problems are.  That's my second hub, the first had numerous stripped teeth on the hardened splines.  I'll post photos when I get it back.  My bike ran fine until the dealer messed with the clutch actuator, after that it didn't shift properly and often got stuck in first gear.  Obviously they denied any correlation with their work and the damage to the clutch hub and the compensator.  It's not OK financially but I would rather thay not even look at my bike.  No dealers unless absolutely necessary.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »

Mine looked like that and was replaced.
Bill

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »

Yup, and until you replace the stock adjuster that just keeps ratcheting itself tighter and tighter, it's going to happen again and again. Take a look at our M6BT07 for 2007 and newer bikes. Solves that problem! http:/www.haydensm6.com
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »

Yup, and until you replace the stock adjuster that just keeps ratcheting itself tighter and tighter, it's going to happen again and again. Take a look at our M6BT07 for 2007 and newer bikes. Solves that problem! http:/www.haydensm6.com

Your claim is replacing the stock primary chain adjuster with your M6BT07 will solve the problem of compensator spoke wear?  Is that a guarantee?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »

Your claim is replacing the stock primary chain adjuster with your M6BT07 will solve the problem of compensator spoke wear?  Is that a guarantee?

That's a tough one to swallow Scott.  The compensators have issues all on their own.  Grandoise vendor claims that the comp is a derivative failure solved solely by a little less chain tension doesn't pass the sniff test.

There may be tensioner issues at times.  But it's not the sole source for comp failure.  Can say this if for no other reason than the one's I've replaced here.  Have changed three.  One actually did have a chain that seemed tigher than one might like.  Two with obviously bad comps had chains that were fine though.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

What we are saying is that a 'too tight' primary chain will cause premature wear on your transmission main shaft and crankshaft bearings and seals along with compensator, not to mention other things that will cause your bike to spend more time in the shop than on the road.
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »

I'm trying to get a photo of a damaged compensator sprocket posted.  The compensator has two areas that are gouged but not as bad as the sprocket.... What do you think? Does this need to be replaced? 

Mine looked like that and was replaced.

What we are saying is that a 'too tight' primary chain will cause premature wear on your transmission main shaft and crankshaft bearings and seals along with compensator, not to mention other things that will cause your bike to spend more time in the shop than on the road.

That is a less absolute statement or suggestion than was implied prior.  Sure, it's obvious (and even a bit simplistic [though accurate nonetheless]) to say, "hey, if you're chain is way too tight the pieces it pulls on will wear out!"  The sales pitch/suggestion, however, that a new chain tensioner is going to alleviate the problem with the crap compensators is just BS.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »

The too tight primary chain situation can indeed lead to premature wear and failure of other parts, but it's a huge stretch to say it causes the compensator problems.  The compensator problems are caused by very poor design and engineering of the compensator, and it would fail even if chain tension was always perfect.  Sometimes junk is just junk, if you know what I mean.  So far it appears Harley has decided to only improve the crap compensator design just enough to get the majority of bikes out of the two year warranty, rather than actually fix the problem for real.  Just one more of the many reasons I won't buy another new Harley. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »

What you said was your product "Solves that problem", which I am quite sure it does not...

As far as I'm concerned, promoting your product and offering site members a discount is fine.  I'm sure there's merit to your tensioning device.  But promoting your product with over reaching B.S. is...well...B.S. 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.