Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Primary oil ??  (Read 9523 times)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Primary oil ??
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »

Banana peelings   :bananarock:
Jesus is Lord

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »

My dealer said the SE Syn3 20w 50 in all three holes. They just overhauled the whole bottom end under ESP and thats what they charged on the work order was 6 qts of SE 20w 50. Now while at what seems to be a reliable independent shop last week having a rear tire installed he said SE Syn3 20w 50 was ok for the engine but recommended Drag Specialties Trans oil for big Twins 85w 140 and Drag Specialties primary oil for the primary case? So now I'm confused. I just changed the engine at the 1,000 mile post overhaul mark and while there I put the 85w140 in the trans.  I figured I would leave the primary alone till the next 5,000 mile service, then change the primary. Do you guys think I Did I something wrong?
Not to worry.......oil is like body cavities, everybody has a favorite
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »

My dealer said the SE Syn3 20w 50 in all three holes. They just overhauled the whole bottom end under ESP and thats what they charged on the work order was 6 qts of SE 20w 50. Now while at what seems to be a reliable independant shop last week having a rear tire installed he said SE Syn3 20w 50 was ok for the engine but recomended Drag Specialties Trans oil for big Twins 85w 140 and Drag Specialties primary oil for the primary case? So now I'm confused. I just changed the engine at the 1,000 mile post overhaul mark and while there I put the 85w140 in the trans.  I figured I would leave the primary alone till the next 5,000 mile sevice, then change the primary. Do you guys think I Did I somthing wrong?

No.  I've got a feeling if you went to ten different shops you would get ten different opinions on what is the best product to put in each of the 3 holes.  Most of those recommendations are based on nothing more than each person's personal preference, not actual science, or based on what they sell, and in many cases it's a recommendation based on what was used on older technology.  For instance, while many people used heavier 85w140 in the trans on the older bikes, the Cruise Drive models are better off with the recommended 75w90. 

I personally believe you should use a real gear lube in the trans.  There are many good choices out there, so you don't need to get all hung up on brand names.  Anything from Formula plus (if you prefer Harley products) to Redline Heavy Shockproof to Spectro to Amsoil Gear to Mobil 1 Gear, ad infinitum.  I wouldn't bother changing out what you have in there now, it should be fine for warm and hot weather riding.

Btw, you don't need to change trans fluid at 5000 miles.  The official interval these days is 20k for the trans and 10k for the primary.  Trans fluid doesn't become contaminated by combustion byproducts like motor oil does, and it definitely doesn't wear out that soon.  It's the same fluid that you find in automotive gearboxes and rear axles that gets changed rarely if ever over the life of the vehicle.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »

Zurk fitting on the trans...total loss on oilers..wipe the tires now and then, no worries.

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »

Thanks Jerry, you always come up with the most logical answer. I'm not a stranger to vehicle maintenance, and was a fleet manager for Cal Dept of Forestry an fire Protection for 30 years. Before that I was a heavy equipment diesel machanic for International Harvester but HD motorcycles are new to me. They seem to have alot of peculiar things about them. And since mine just took a major dump at 2300 miles, (ESP paid the bill),  I have been almost afraid to ride the darn thing. We want to go for a ride for a few days starting tomorrow in very warm to hot weather here in Southern CA so you dont think I need to change it back to syn3 or 75w90 before I take off?

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 07:02:40 PM »

Formula Plus ?????  i have recently read a few articles on other forums and they say it the way to  go is it better than Amsoil ?  also local dealer is  recomending Dino oil in a friends ultra that has had two sets of lifters replaced... thy also told him HD will VOID warranty he he continues to use Amsoil  :o :o :o :o

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »

Thanks Jerry, you always come up with the most logical answer. I'm not a stranger to vehicle maintenance, and was a fleet manager for Cal Dept of Forestry an fire Protection for 30 years. Before that I was a heavy equipment diesel machanic for International Harvester but HD motorcycles are new to me. They seem to have alot of peculiar things about them. And since mine just took a major dump at 2300 miles, (ESP paid the bill),  I have been almost afraid to ride the darn thing. We want to go for a ride for a few days starting tomorrow in very warm to hot weather here in Southern CA so you dont think I need to change it back to syn3 or 75w90 before I take off?

No you don't.  Enjoy the ride, and don't worry about the fluids.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »

Formula Plus ?????  i have recently read a few articles on other forums and they say it the way to  go is it better than Amsoil ?  also local dealer is  recomending Dino oil in a friends ultra that has had two sets of lifters replaced... thy also told him HD will VOID warranty he he continues to use Amsoil  :o :o :o :o

If you are talking about Formula+ versus Amsoil motor oil in the trans, then I agree.  Formula+ is a real gear oil, not a fortified motor oil.

As for the dino oil in the engine, the local dealer is FOS.  He is also FOS about H-D voiding the warranty because someone is running Amsoil.  One thing people really need to learn is to take everything a Harley dealership employee says with a HUGE grain of salt.  There are no special requirements to work in a Harley dealership, or to even be the dealer as best I can tell.  So actual technical knowledge or integrity or real business sense can not be assumed.  I've heard more BS in Harley dealerships over the past fifteen years than I heard in hundreds of auto dealerships in 40 years.

Jerry

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »

I have a Rivera Pro clutch and they recommend ATF, so I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF which serves me very well.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »

Redline

X2, Reline V-Twin Primary Chain Oil
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »

I went to Rotella T3 SAE 15W-40 after seeing how well it holds up in industrial wet clutches.
Easy to find and inexpensive to purchase.. I also like B&M Original Trick Shift ATF which is just getting harder to find locally.
Here is the a Oil Analysis of the HD Formula + for those that may be interested.
Harley-Davidson Formula + ( Virgin oil analysis* Blackstone Labs)

Petroleum based. (Made by Citgo)
Ca 169
P 230
B 210
Zn - none
No other elemental additives.
Viscosity - within SAE 50 range.
Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3.

Published specs:
Specific Gravity: 0.857
Pounds per Gallon: 7.14
Viscosity, ASTM D 445,
cSt at 40°C: 168.04
cSt at 100°C: 20.10
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270: 139
Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 2983,
cP at -26°C - 28,800
cP at -40°C - n/m
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C): -60 (-51)
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °F (°C): 507 (264)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:50:10 PM by LC110 »
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »

The GM at my Dealer (has to warranty my '09 for at least 4 more years) put his blessing on the Redline Shockproof in the tranny but wanted to stay with the Syn3 in the primary.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »

wrong?  no.  different? sure.  just take a look at all the threads above yours.  as many replies as there was, most of them were different from each other.  consider this, you had the engine worked on.  the engine oil doesn't mix with the primary oil, (or the tranny oil either) so really, all you really needed to change was just the engine oil.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.