Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rear chain drive vs belt drive  (Read 8091 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Rear chain drive vs belt drive
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »

I never really had an issue with cornering clearance with my shaft drive bikes, but of course this was back in the 80's before it became cool to lower bikes.  Like Fired00d, I knew how to actually ride a sporty bike back in the day and didn't just sit planted in one spot, so I never had concerns with grinding the hard parts whether I was on the throttle hard or easing off in the curves.  But the point is well taken; if folks don't know what they're doing and haven't practiced on their bike before going nuts, bad stuff can happen.  Sort of like when guys on Harley's drop the suspension to look cool and then plant solid parts in the asphalt while trying to make a curve.  People need to learn their limits and use basic sense, regardless of what they ride or drive.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »

Does it matter which side the shaft drive is on?  If on one side versus the other, the shaft will turn in opposite rotation and the torque, or lift, would be reversed from side to side.

Or is my thinking all BS?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »

:-\
I'm kinda thinkin' you do indeed have it wrong.  Which ever side the shaft is mounted on, the pinion gear would be pulling down on the teeth of the ring gear (thus "climbing up") in order to rotate the tire/wheel in a forward direction.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

I have snapped two belts in 3 years and replaced a 3rd that had a stone imbedded in it. I don't do burnouts or wheelies. It's basically a 95" with a few performance mods. I just upgraded to the carbon fiber belt lets see how long this lasts. One thing I read on the install sheet is that for performance installations go tighter with the belt rather than the stock tension. I guess we will see.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.765 seconds with 21 queries.