Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 103 SE ENGINE, WHAT'S ACTUALLY IN IT  (Read 8108 times)

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
103 SE ENGINE, WHAT'S ACTUALLY IN IT
« on: October 29, 2003, 05:39:01 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am the proud owner of a new 2003 SERK.  I was originally on the list for one, but soon came to realize that I may not get one.  Was going to compromise (I really wanted an Anniversary Bike) with the 2004 Electra-Glide, when this SERK literally fell into my hands.  Glad to own the bike, and glad to be a member of the club.

I am a hot-rodder by nature, and am already looking to see what can be done with this machine.  The RATKING name comes from my race car and my experience with Big Block Chevys.  But in order to play, you have to know what you are starting with.  While these are a great running motor, I would like to know what is inside.  Specifically, what cam, piston, head, etc. is in this motor from the factory.  The 103 stroker kit in the Harley catalog is not what comes in these motors, except for the flywheels and forged rods, which I understand are made for Harley by S&S.  Are the pistons cast or forged, and what is the compression ratio?  What cam is in it, and what are the specs.  The Screaming Eagle heads on the bike,  which of the SE heads available are on it?  Anybody have any idea of how mild the factory ignition and fuel maps are?  The exhaust seems a little throatier  than normal HD, but are they really free flowing or should they be pulled and replaced with what?   Which programmer does everyone like?  Also, anybody have a good brake pad suggestion that will be a little easier on the rotors.  I used to use FERADO's, but do not see them in the latest Drag Specialties book.

I am an old Shovelhead Fan, but I am telling you I really love this new bike.  I think a couple of the old Shovels will be sitting for a while.  But in any event, any info would be appreciated, and thanks for having me aboard.

watsot

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 103 SE ENGINE, WHAT'S ACTUALLY IN IT
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 08:45:02 PM »

congrats on the new bike.I am also looking at modding my bike in the future. there is a post on this site I think under mods that someone posted the answer to alot of youre questions. As far as pads I put lyndal racings on mine and am verry happy. keep the shinny side up.
2003 flhrsei2

dickie

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 11:04:42 PM »

I got some info from my dealer that will answer some of your questions. It is from a tech manual pertaining to CVO bikes.

Heads: 9.0:1 compression ratio
            Hemi style combustion chamber
            Exhaust valve: high temp stainless
            Intake valve: high strength stainless
            Valve spring load: 430# per inch
            seat pressure: 170# @ 1.820"
            uses 1550 head gaskets

Cams: CVO 253 cams (unique to CVO 103)
          Valve lift; IN/EX .530"
          8620 carbonized steel (same as S.E. cams)

dickie

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 11:09:36 PM »

ran out of room

Pushrods and lifters: same as stock twin cam

Oil cooler thermostat Open 210 deg. Close<180 deg.

Cast pistons: 3 7/8"bore- flat top
service pistons- .005 and .010" oversize available

I was told that the flywheels are from Jims machine

Hope this info helps

RATKING

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 08:15:06 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  My suspicians are confirmed, that is the 103 is a great road bike, but a slight compromise on power.  I will continue to look for more info.  Wonder what the valve timing is?  Harley is usually pretty conservative on valve timing, especially with delayed intake events.  I will continue to watch the boards for updates.  Thanks.

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 05:55:28 PM »

;)SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT UP RIGHT, WHEN YOU ARE ALL DONE LET US KNOW WHAT'S BEST. IT'LL SAVE THE REST OF US FUMBLING AROUND!

RATKING

FLHRSEI2:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 10:52:19 PM »

I am still researching the SE103 motor and now know that the bike is a great cruiser, but not the 103 bruiser you would have if you built the 103 with the full Harley screaming eagle kit.  The compression is lower; the pistons are cast, not forged; the cam is milder, not the SE 260 grind in the kit, etc.  I am not saying this is bad, it really depends on the intended use of the bike.  What is clear is that no matter what you do, you do want to improve the breathing and exhaling on this baby.

For the intake, everyone talks about the SE air cleaner with the K&N air cleaner.  Yes, this is a proven performance enhancer, but I would recomend to everyone that they check out the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner setup.  It is a much cleaner setup, with the head breathers incorporated in the castings, and the air entry more of a polished velocity stack.  Plus is still uses any of the Harley air cleaner covers.  Check the Drag Specialties book, you will see what I mean.

For the exhaust, I found that generally speaking, the 2 into 1 systems are the best from the true performance point of view, giving the best torque and horsepower, and over the entire operating range.  Great systems are the Thunderheader, D&D system (won the HP shootout last year), and the SuperTrapp systems.  The Hooker, SE, and Vance and Hines systems were also there.  The only thing is, do you like the single exhasut look on a bagger?  It would really take some getting used too, and I am leaning towards no.  

So, then I fiqured the dual exhaust provides the look and symetry that looked right on the bike.  I researched the Rinehart true dual system because it sounded good in concept, was a true 2 into 2,  and looked really cool.  However, the latest issue of Cycle World's "Power & Performance/Harley Davidson" showed a major dip in the torque curve between 2000 and 3500; coincidentily, they were dynoing these pipes on a 103 incher.  This is exactly where our SERKs run the best in stock form.  They were unimpressed with this system; they also checked the 2 into 2 system for the softtail, with the same results.  Having read this timely article, I too was unimpressed and have scratched these from the thought process.

Finally we get to the dual exhaust using the factory head pipes; as I said, it is a compromise on power, but has the balanced look.  There are a lot of slip-on replacement mufflers out there with a lot of different looks.  They play with different lengths, diameters, billet ends, slash cuts, etc.  I am looking for the right look with the right power.  I called Vance and Hines, and they recommended their new Oval Slip-ons, saying that they flowed the best.  I know there are Kerker, Python, Samson, etc products out there, and I would really like to be able to compare flow.  Has anyone seen a dyno series in one of the cycle magazines that compared the different slip-on mufflers.  It would really help in the decision process.

Finally of course, you will have to reprogram the computer for new fuel and ignition curves to make it run right and to take the much better breathing into account.  There is Harley's Race Tuner, the Dyno-jet Power Commander, and even S&S has a system.  I know that the Power Commander allows you to make changes while the bike is running, but I do not know id that is all that important.  But it is also much cheaper, and there are a ton of MAPS on the internet to download and use as a starting point.  Does anyone have a real reason to choose one over the other?  If I buy a Power Commander for example, am I able to program more that 1 bike with it.  I have 3 different fuelly bikes, can I do all 3 of them?  

I will continue to research, but everyones input is certainly welcome.  It is really clear that the right decisions can make a big positive difference, and an uninformed desicion can lead to disappointment.  The Rinehart exhaust test clearly showed that fancy theory, looks, and name, do not always quarantee results.  The right combo is out there, lets find it.

stroker

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 04:22:16 PM »

Thought I'd throw my two cents worth in here about slip on pipes.  There is no need to give up the balanced look for a two into one system.  A lot of aftermarket systems take that into account and provide a "dummy" pipe for the left side.  The bike is tuned as a two into one system for maximum performance.  There is another way to keep both pipes.  Scream'n Eagle makes slip ons that keep both pipes, but you put the racing baffle from Vance&Hines in the right slip on and then tune.  This is little bit of a compromise as far as performance goes, but it is also cheaper.  The sound is on the money.   Use whatever air breather you want.

STROKER

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 11:21:19 PM »

RatKing great report.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 11:22:20 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VegasFireman

Re: No V and H,
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003, 03:23:55 PM »

Once you know that your going to die on your bike and accept that fact, only then can you truly enjoy the ride. --Me

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2004, 01:46:04 AM »

Thanks for the info on the Reinharts. I was getting ready to order a set. I hear they work great on std twin cam engines, just haven't read much about them in 103s. I have however read about some 2 into 1 pipes that have a fake left pipe to get that balanced bagger look. I'll dig up my old mags that feature these pipes. When I was researching them I actually called the manufaturer of these pipes (if i could only remember the name of them... >:() Oh well, they say thats the first thing to go...any way, I seem to remeber they are mfgd in Phoenix AZ. I'll see what I can dig up.
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2004, 04:53:20 PM »

The pipes I mentioned before are D&D fat cats. It's a true 2-into 1 system that they sell a ghost pipe for. They dyno numbers look great, but again, they are on a se 1550 upgrade to a std 88 ci. This was the other system I ws considering before seeing the bub reinharts. I'm going to contact D&D see if they've done any factory 103's yet. :) by the way, they mfgd in Dallas, TX...oops! [smiley=confused5.gif]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 04:54:51 PM by gb »
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

rturn2mow

• HOG
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 07:49:59 AM »

I have the work mentioned below done to my '02 Road King Classic. I used the Kerker Pipes and very pleased with the sound and performance. I was told by my dealer that Kerker makes the SE pipes for Harley baggers with the difference being the Kerkers have a larger baffle, better performance and they cost less. Keeps it dual and the fit is perfect. When my SEEG arrives in April I will use these pipes again.  

Rick
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 08:54:56 PM »

I was told that the flywheels are from Jims machine

Hope this info helps

The flywheels are not from Jim's machine for production 103's.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

mikombs01

• I love my Harley
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2004, 11:47:04 PM »

I have a '03 SERK with 4000 Mi.  No problems so far.
I would like to get some heated clothing and I was looking in the manuals for the alternator output for this bike and find out there are two rotors. A 38 amp and a 45 amp, but there is no mention what size the FLHRSEI2 has.  Does anybody know what it?  Where is the information?

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.