Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Leak on the back side of the Inner Primary  (Read 7811 times)

LouFXR4

• AL

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 Screaming Yellow Pearl
Leak on the back side of the Inner Primary
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »

I found the source of a leak that has been slowly getting worse for a while. I have the service manual but can't find what this is or why it looks like bubble gum. Any thoughts, suggestions, encouragement or good jokes would be appreciated.
My bike is a 2000 FXR4 80 cu.in EVO with about 10,000 miles.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Leak on the back side of the Inner Primary
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »

If that is where I think it is this is an indent for a bolt that holds the chain tensioner.  Looks like it has broken through the casting.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »

LouisXR4, I had the same situation on my 95 Heritage . It didn't leak, but I felt something like silicone back there in the same area of your picture and just left it alone. Sold at 62K miles. Wish I could talk my cousin into selling it back. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

LouFXR4

• AL

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »

Thanks for the input. I'm going to clean the underside of the bike today and hope there is a leak somewhere else not a crack in the casting. cahdbiker... It does feel like silicone by the way and I'm encouraged to hear you got 65,000 miles on your Heritage. I'll update when I know more.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:20:05 AM by LouFXR4 »

LouFXR4

• AL

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »

Ok, some new information and I believe it's good. While I was trusting my Chinese bike jack to hold, I got under the bike more than before and found a second silicone seal above the place that I think is leaking. I can assume now that it is a factory application and not a cheap repair as I feared.

I cleaned the area around the leak and will take a short ride to see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:46:38 PM by LouFXR4 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »

Ok, some new information and I believe it's good. While I was trusting my Chinese bike jack to hold, I got under the bike more than before and found a second silicone seal above the place that I think is leaking. I can assume now that it is a factory application and not a cheap repair as I feared.

I cleaned the area around the leak and will take a short ride to see what happens.

Hard to tell for sure with the orientation and narrow field of view but I'm still suspecting that is now both of the bolt holes that hold the chain tensioner inside the primary.  Have seen the silicone plugs in them before too.  Hopefully you'll have nothing, or at least nothing expensive, to replace.  Maybe just a primary tear down and some re-application of an appropriate goop.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »

LouFXR4, I think that your latest picture is the same as my heritage was except I never knew there were two places where silicone was applied. If you don't see any cracks I would go ahead and clean the area really well with brake cleaner ( wear goggles and don't get any on your black wrinkle finish or any painted surface for that matter) and then put some black silicone on top of what is there and let set for at least 48 hours before starting bike. I don't recommend removing the silicone that is already in place because as one of the other guys said the area that is silicone is probably an indent for the primary chain adjuster bolts. I bet that will do it. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

LouFXR4

• AL

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »

I left the bike on the jack overnight and the leak reappeared, photo enclosed. I will have to drain the primary to be able to apply the new silicone but my service manual and owners manual are no help as far as where the drain plug is. I'll have to post again to show where I think it is since I can only put one photo per posting.

LouFXR4

• AL

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »

This is where I am guessing the drain is for the primary. There is no drain plug anywhere on the inner or outer primary. Is this the transmission drain plug as well as the primary or am I even close? Please remember I don't know anything about this and have tried using the owners manual and the Harley Service manual.

LouFXR4

• AL

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »

Hard to tell for sure with the orientation and narrow field of view but I'm still suspecting that is now both of the bolt holes that hold the chain tensioner inside the primary.  Have seen the silicone plugs in them before too.  Hopefully you'll have nothing, or at least nothing expensive, to replace.  Maybe just a primary tear down and some re-application of an appropriate goop.

I am posting a wider shot of the lower silicon seal which is leaking, the upper seal is not visible but is a few inches directly above the lower one.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »

I am posting a wider shot of the lower silicon seal which is leaking, the upper seal is not visible but is a few inches directly above the lower one.

That gives a much clearer picture of orientation and, more importantly, position.  That's a chain tensioner bolt hole.  Those are through drilled (sometimes, have seen them not) and tapped for the bolts or screws that hold the chain tensioner to the primary.  Unfortunately just smearing a little good over the outside won't fix it (says the guy who tried this a couple times many years ago).  But it's still a fix that will only cost you a primary gasket and a tube of sealant.  So, in Harley terms, it's a cheap job.   

Here's a breakdown of the primary housing so you'll have a better idea of what's there inside.  Red box drawn around the two holes you've noticed higher and lower that the chain tensioner attaches to.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »

This is where I am guessing the drain is for the primary. There is no drain plug anywhere on the inner or outer primary. Is this the transmission drain plug as well as the primary or am I even close? Please remember I don't know anything about this and have tried using the owners manual and the Harley Service manual.

The magnetic drain plug for the primary should be in the outer primary cover below the clutch inspection cover.  See attachment (click to enlarge).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LouFXR4

• AL

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »

The magnetic drain plug for the primary should be in the outer primary cover below the clutch inspection cover.  See attachment (click to enlarge).

Jerry

Went out to the bike and there it was, thank you very much! Here is a crude job of showing what the official service manual from Harley illustrates. No number 1 anywhere on the illustration and the drain plug incorrectly identified as "3. Bolt (1) 5/16-18 x3 in.". It's not like I'm not trying to use the resources I have to pay for but this service manual is lacking. Looking for torque values for the outer primary, all I can find is "Chaincase bolts 18-21 ft.lbs." Do you know if that is correct for the outer primary? There is nothing for the inspection cover or the clutch cover, are there torque value on either?

LouFXR4

• AL

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »

That gives a much clearer picture of orientation and, more importantly, position.  That's a chain tensioner bolt hole.  Those are through drilled (sometimes, have seen them not) and tapped for the bolts or screws that hold the chain tensioner to the primary.  Unfortunately just smearing a little good over the outside won't fix it (says the guy who tried this a couple times many years ago).  But it's still a fix that will only cost you a primary gasket and a tube of sealant.  So, in Harley terms, it's a cheap job.   

Here's a breakdown of the primary housing so you'll have a better idea of what's there inside.  Red box drawn around the two holes you've noticed higher and lower that the chain tensioner attaches to.

So, first of all thank you for taking time to help. If I can find the info I need for removing the primary then I will remove the chain tensioner, clean the old sealant from the hole or holes and then reassemble the works. Am I correct? I would like to do this myself and I do have the tools but do you suggest I let the dealer do the work? The dealers here in Birmingham are always busy and I can count on a wait of one to two weeks to get my bike back. The bike isn't due for any service at this time.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

Your torque spec for the cover bolts is correct.  Don't hesitate to trust your feel on those bolts if you "feel" threads starting to let go though.  At those low values inexpensive torque wrenches are notoriously inaccurate and it doesn't take much extra pull to ruin a bolt hole.  If you don't trust that you know the "feel" of proper torque for those small bolts definitely use your torque wrench.  But be careful and don't hesitate to doubt it if prudence seems to dictate.

The same guidance applied on the derby and clutch cover screws also.  There spec comes in inch pounds though.  So be sure and don't pull foot pounds.  Your spec on them, should you use it, is 84-108 inch pounds.  And, yes, on the force scale 12 inch pounds equals one foot pound ;D .
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.