Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cross overs, do I need to use them?  (Read 842 times)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Cross overs, do I need to use them?
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:44:46 PM »

I am installing A set of lid speakers on my 2010 Ultra. Bought the lids, ( out for paint ) Now I bought a set of Hog Wired 5x9 speakers for the lids and they came with cross overs. I am running a 40.4 Hog Tunes amp and have 2 channels free that will power the lid speakers. So, do I need to use these cross overs? And what the heck are they for any ways?  Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Cross overs, do I need to use them?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:10:52 AM »

Yes!   From Crutchfield (pretty knowledgeable folks): 

A crossover divides an input signal into two or more outputs of different ranges of frequencies, so tweeters, speakers, and subs will each get only the range of frequencies they were designed to play. Frequencies outside each designated range are attenuated or blocked.

Every speaker system needs a crossover of some type. Component speaker sets come with separate outboard crossovers, many with tweeter level selectors. Every full-range, coaxial speaker — with its tweeter mounted in front of the woofer cone — already has a tiny crossover network built into it somewhere.

If you want to run an "active" system, however, you'll need a more sophisticated crossover. In an active sound system each driver (tweeter, woofer, sub) has its own channel of amplification. This dramatically increases the available power, dynamic range (softest to loudest sounds), and your control of the system’s tonal response over the whole audio spectrum.

Almost all amplifiers come with built-in high- and low-pass filters that can serve as the crossovers in a component system. But these filters are small accessory features built into the amps and are often more inaccurate with less fidelity than a separate, dedicated electronic crossover.

An active crossover gets wired between the receiver and amplifier and cuts out the unwanted frequencies before the amp wastes energy boosting them, so the amp can focus on only the frequencies it's supposed to amplify. Active crossovers usually have volume controls on every channel or pair of channels so you can keep all the “voices” of the different drivers in balance. Some active crossovers include other sound-processing features like equalization for further tweaking of the sound to your personal satisfaction.

In a hypothetical 4-way active car audio system the original full-range audio signal might be crossed-over as follows:

Low frequencies (say 100 Hz and lower) go to subwoofers.
    Midbass speakers get frequencies between 100 and 250 Hz.
    Midrange speakers would see frequencies between 250 and 3,000 Hz.
    All frequencies above 3,000 Hz are handled by the tweeters.

Keep in mind that the crossover points listed here are for example only and do not apply to every car or speaker system out there. The best crossover points for one vehicle might not be the best for another. It all depends on the speakers being used and the acoustic properties of the car. Most electronic crossovers allow you to choose from several crossover points.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »

Great info Greg, just need a bit more clarification.  I have the 40.4 amp from Hog tunes. Its powering the lower fairing sub woofers also from Hog Tunes.  the rest of the speakers I have changed to Hog Tunes as well. I did not get any cross over for the sub woofers when I bought them. So this will be the only speakers ( hog wired ) that will have the cross overs. Is this OK? Should the rest of the system have cross overs.  All I have is that 40.4 amp plugged in to power the subs and now the lids.   This stuff is more complex to me than any Lifter, cam, or comp problem. It really is like Chinese.  ( no offense to Chinese CVO owners )
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »

I would talk to Hawg tunes.   If subwoofers are powered by a dedicated amp, they certainly do not need a crossover.  I have crossovers for my fairing speakers but I can't say about yours without knowing more.  How do they sound?  If they don't sound clean / clear, consider crossovers.   Good luck.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.