Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: True Duals vs Slip On Mufflers  (Read 8498 times)

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
True Duals vs Slip On Mufflers
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:02:35 PM »

Based on the wealth of knowledge of this group, I'm sure someone can enlighten me on exhaust systems.  I'm wondering what is the downside of true duals.  Obviously the brain trusts at the MoCo believe a crossover pipe works best for some reason or they wouldn't add the extra expense of building it that way. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: True Duals vs Slip On Mufflers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »

Based on the wealth of knowledge of this group, I'm sure someone can enlighten me on exhaust systems.  I'm wondering what is the downside of true duals.  Obviously the brain trusts at the MoCo believe a crossover pipe works best for some reason or they wouldn't add the extra expense of building it that way. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Hey rbm. Try this thread for starters. It might help. We all go thru it trying to figure what's best to use. ;) Hoist!  8-)

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1165251184
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 03:52:18 PM »

Hey rbm. Try this thread for starters. It might help. We all go thru it trying to figure what's best to use.

Thanks Hoist.  Sounds like Dale at Millers in Daytona is an expert.  Obviosly he favors V & H TD headers.  Wonder why Rineharts didn't enter into the equation?  I really like their looks over any of the Ovals.  I have a friend that's currently working in Daytona.  Maybe I'll have him go talk to Dale.  He would have an interest as well.

That string did not address my original question however about the downside of TD vs slip ons.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »

Thanks Hoist.  Sounds like Dale at Millers in Daytona is an expert.  Obviosly he favors V & H TD headers.  Wonder why Rineharts didn't enter into the equation?  I really like their looks over any of the Ovals.  I have a friend that's currently working in Daytona.  Maybe I'll have him go talk to Dale.  He would have an interest as well.

That string did not address my original question however about the downside of TD vs slip ons.

It addresses it a little at the end. Basically, the stock headpipes will provide better power/tq in the lower/mid rpm range, while the TD's work better on top and with HiPo engine mods. I'm going to see if the heat's bearable first, before going to the TD's on my new SERK. Either way, you have to do some kind of ECM mod too. There's many other threads on this too. Hoist!  8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 04:15:08 PM »

I'm going to see if the heat's bearable first, before going to the TD's on my new SERK.

That was actually my thinking as well..., starting with just slipons that I can still use if I find it beneficial to go TD.  My TC88 RK Classic is really unbearable at times in the Texas summer heat.  I'm hoping the TC110 is better but I'm expecting the worst based on some of the comments i'm seeing here.

Thanks for the guidance.  Have a Merry Christmas, Hoist

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 07:44:32 PM »

That was actually my thinking as well..., starting with just slipons that I can still use if I find it beneficial to go TD.  My TC88 RK Classic is really unbearable at times in the Texas summer heat.  I'm hoping the TC110 is better but I'm expecting the worst based on some of the comments i'm seeing here.

Thanks for the guidance.  Have a Merry Christmas, Hoist

If you think the heat on the 88 is bad, just wait 'till you feel it coming off the back of a 103/110!!  One of the main advantages to TD's is that when the bike is tuned, each cylinder can be tuned individually, which is not really entirely possible with a crossover system.  One advantage of the V&H system is that the end of the header is the size of most slip ons.  The RH's are a stepped header, so if you get the entire system, and not just their slip-ons, no other muffs will fit on their headers to my knowledge.  I've got the RH's, so I'm biased as to how they look on the bike, but the V&H's are nice as well.  The warranty is better on the RH's, from what I've been told, and chrome is second to none.  It's tough to decide what to do...if you can go to some events and see different things and hear them, it will help.  My 2 cents....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 11:39:01 AM »

If you think the heat on the 88 is bad, just wait 'till you feel it coming off the back of a 103/110!!  
I've got the RH's, so I'm biased as to how they look on the bike, but the V&H's are nice as well...

Thanks TC, that explains some things I was unclear on regarding the advantage of TD's.  If the 110 is hotter than the 88 then I really have to do something.  I was hoping the oil cooler on the 110's would make it more bearable.

I assume the RH's you refer to are Rineharts, right?  And you have the TD setup?  Wouldn't have a picture or two would you?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 12:07:48 PM »

Thanks TC, that explains some things I was unclear on regarding the advantage of TD's.  If the 110 is hotter than the 88 then I really have to do something.  I was hoping the oil cooler on the 110's would make it more bearable.

I assume the RH's you refer to are Rineharts, right?  And you have the TD setup?  Wouldn't have a picture or two would you?

I believe TC's correct, but since it's simple to bolt on the mufflers first, I'm very curious to see what happens with the stock headpipes first with the ECM mods. I believe the leanness is what causes most of the heat. The rear cylinder, although hotter, might still allow the stock headpipes to be bearable with ECM mods, without giving up the low/mid range power you'd lose to the TD's with a stock engine. You can always add the TD's if it's still not bearable. As of now, that's what I'm doing. ;) Hoist!  8-)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 11:37:08 PM by Hoist »

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »

Thanks again Hoist and TC.  I have one more (very subjective) question.  I like the looks of the the Rineharts but can't say that I've ever heard them.  How do they sound?  I guess what I'm looking for is: 1. do they have a really deep tone?  2. how loud are they?  For comparison purposes, I have SE slash cuts on my 04 RK.  How would you compare the Rineharts to them?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 04:04:19 PM »

Thanks again Hoist and TC.  I have one more (very subjective) question.  I like the looks of the the Rineharts but can't say that I've ever heard them.  How do they sound?  I guess what I'm looking for is: 1. do they have a really deep tone?  2. how loud are they?  For comparison purposes, I have SE slash cuts on my 04 RK.  How would you compare the Rineharts to them?

I have used Rineharts on my past several bikes and on my current 07 SEUC...to answer your questions..IMO....1.  Yes, they do have a deep tone.  2.  The have a deeper and louder sound then most.  They definitly are louder then the SE slash cut pipes.  They are not crazy loud with normal riding, but can be somewhat obnoxious if you really jump on it.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 06:42:14 PM »

I would agree.  I had SE slash cuts on my 05 RKC and the sound was nice (you knew it was a harley but not too loud).  I'm putting rinehart duals on my 07 SERK primarily because they perform better and to eliminate the cross over pipe and therefore hopefully some of the heat.  Alghough they are louder they are not obnoxious unless you want them to be.  There still on back order at my dealer though, but I hope to get them soon....

Jim

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 07:51:28 PM »

Are you talking about the one-piece SE slash cuts?  I had the slash-ups on my SEEG for the first 15,000 miles and then (finally) went to Rineharts.  The Rineharts are definitely louder, but the sound is totally different, too.  It's a much, much deeper sound, more "muscular" and less "tinny."

As far as the "downsides," like Hoist said you will loose a little low-end with a true dual, but will gain it on the top end.  Based on the dyno sheets I've seen of the new 110's and the way they've moved the torque curve of the motor down vs. the 103's, I doubt it would really be that noticeable, particularly on a somewhat lighter weight (vs. an Electra Glide) Road King.

And, yes, when TC mentioned "RH" above, he was referring to Rineharts.

Here are a couple pictures of my bike:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 07:52:34 PM by 103tHunDer »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 09:55:34 PM »

To my ear, there is a lot of difference in the SE slash cut that are all one piece, and the SE Pro slips with the Billet ends, which are a separate piece from the body of the muff.  The one piece are a little more "tinney" than the Billet end model.  I ran the SE Billet (slash down) model for 7K + miles and had no complaints about the sound...nice, deep, and throaty.  I recently put RH TD's on, and absolutely love them!!  Deeper sound, and louder, but only if you romp on them...just cruising, I would say the RH's are louder then as well, but not too much for my tastes.  Somewhere, I read that they are about 3db's louder than the SE's I was running.  To my eye, nothing looks better than the RH's on a bagger.

TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 02:07:56 AM »

Don't forget the advantage of the true duals is that they make the starter much more visible which then requires an OCD moment when you write the check for the Chrome Starter to fill the black void. ;D

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 04:45:58 PM »

Don't forget the advantage of the true duals is that they make the starter much more visible which then requires an OCD moment when you write the check for the Chrome Starter to fill the black void. ;D

Haven't bitten that one off yet, Roger...keep hoping the starter will croak on it's own.  Meanwhile, I've got the solenoid cover and just got the neutral switch cover and Oil Filler Spout, so that will help a bit.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.