Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does Anyone Here Have A GL1800 Right Now?  (Read 1599 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Does Anyone Here Have A GL1800 Right Now?
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »

I'm looking for some information from someone that owns a GL1800.

I have a rear swingarm complete with the shock, linkage and hydraulic pump.  I need to mount this all up at the rear of a new reverse trike project I'll be starting this winter.

I know where I need to put my swingarm pivot bolts, but the relationship of the lower shock link arm forward pivot point to the swingarm pivot point is something I cannot guess on.  I think if someone has a GL1800 and a table lift, this information might be able to be measured.  I know that the top shock mounting hole may be a bit obscured from view, but if I had a measurement for that too, that would be great.

So if someone here has a GL1800 and is doing some cleaning up on a lift table and wants to help out a fellow CVO'er, I would appreciate it very much.

The picture attached is what I have and I can use reference points from bolt or mounting hole up to the bottom rear of the swingarm cross tube.

Thanks for looking about a thread on a GL1800...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Re: Does Anyone Here Have A GL1800 Right Now?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »

I suggest you go to the GL1800riders.com they have all the answers to your questions. That is where I go when I have questions about mine.

Tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »

I suggest you go to the GL1800riders.com they have all the answers to your questions. That is where I go when I have questions about mine.

Tazmun

Good advice my friend!

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:06:01 PM »

If I'm right you need this picture with dimensions?  You may get a Honda dealer service guy to fill it in.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:10:39 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »

If I'm right you need this picture with dimensions?  You may get a Honda dealer service guy to fill it in.

Tazmun, I've joined the Goldwing forum site and one guy was willing to get me "some" information, but when I used his info it didn't look right on my mock up.  So I was just letting it go for a while until I got back to it again.  Thanks.

Chains,

You are very good at the mock ups.

I've attached a model of the Morgan Three Wheeler and how they do their rear suspension.

I can go either way, but feel that the Goldwing swingarm will provide a bit more serviceability to changing out the rear wheel and maintenance in general.

I have purchased a late Harley, around a '10, rear wheel and tire with the cush drive and 1" axle.  I have the rotor and rear caliper as well.  I could make up a swingarm like the Harley and it's doesn't have to be a looker, it can be just nice rectangular tubing as it will never be seen.  I also have just the final drive from the back end of a GL1800 that originally I was going to use as my 90 degree gearbox.  All it needs is a front bearing support that could be part of the front box to frame mount.  I had hopes then of using the 5-lug wheel bolt pattern to mount a drive pulley, Polychain 14mm type.  But then I need to have a new rear sprocket in a 1.5" wide to handle the extra weight of the trike.  This would need to be all fabbed up and then mounted to a turned down rear cush drive Harley rear sprocket.

Again all of this can be done, but the GL rear swingarm is just SO simple in design that it begs to be used.

The only item that still has me puzzled a bit is the offset driveshaft of the swingarm and how to get it back on centerline of the trike to line up with my Miata 5 speed driveshaft.  The GL driveshaft for the swingarm is spring loaded and is pushed back by the output shaft of the GL motor/trans.  I can use an angular contact bearing setup to stabilize the front of the driveshaft, but some type of belt or chain would need to be used to get the drive back on centerline.

Actually having the side to side drive is a benefit as I can get an extra bit of gearing, about a 1.2:1 to get my 2.75:1 GL rear into the range of 3.32:1.  With a Miata 5 speed it gets me to around 10.4:1 final ratio in 1st gear and with a 6 speed Miata it gets me a 1st gear of around 12.2:1.  This would make a very nice take off gearing with the 6 speed.  I think our late model touring bikes stock have around 9.43:1 in 1st gear, so even the 5 speed would be a better low gear for taking off with the trike.

The problem with the Polychain belts are that they do not make a short enough one to do my drive.  They make the pulleys that would fit my needs, but belt.  I can use 530 o-ring chain with sprockets without much of an issue.  I know the 530 chain would be bullet proof for my application, but it would possibly be a bit noisy.  If covered, but not water tight, it would not need much other than a small amount of lube every 4k to 5k miles.

So I have LOTS of ideas and having the swingarm locations as you've posted in your mock up drawings, would be what the doctor ordered.

I've also looked at buying a GL main frame, but man do they think they're made of gold, pun intended, but maybe not too funny...  I've also tried to buy totaled frames, buy the places seem to scrap them without trying o sell them.  The frame is all aluminum and would give me the center mounting area for information or I could try to use it for all my mounting system and then bolt that to the steel main frame of the trike.

I think in the long run if I had the measurements in your drawing, that would get me very close.

Thanks to all that have PM'd me and replied.  Any thoughts or ideas will be graciously reviewed and considered.  If someone has ideas and wants more pictures or added info from me, please let me know.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.