Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Does FXRG really double as rain gear?  (Read 50139 times)

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
Does FXRG really double as rain gear?
« on: September 28, 2008, 08:53:05 PM »

I really thinking about buying the FXRG nylon coat and pants. Is this stuff really waterproof will it function as rain gear also or is it just cold weather riding gear? I don't mind spending the money if the stuff works but if it is not truly multifuctional I will just stick with my leather and good ol rain suit. If anybody has had any expierience with the FXRG and can give me some input it would be greatly appreciated.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: Does FXRG really double as rain gear?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »

I can tell you that it works better for me then any rain gear I've owned before.  And I've owned alot of different sets.  I can only speak for the nylon version as that's the set I have.  I rode yesterday in PA where we received about 2 inches of rain and I didn't have a drop leak through.  You do need to make sure all the zippers are closed all the way into the rain shield and that the jacket velcro zipper liner is sealed up before zipping.  If you don't snap the neck cover it will run down from your neck onto your chest.  But as long as you snap the neck cover I haven't had any leaking there.  A friend who rides without windshield did have a little seap at his neck, but behing the 9 inch CUSE3 windhield I'm dry as a bone.

I like it even better in the heatt, because in a light drizzle you can open the leg vents and not sweat to the point that you're wetter then the rain.  None of that rubber sweat suit feel.  With all the vents closed it works very well as cold weather gear.  I ride down to about 35-40 degrees without my heated liner on and am fine.  I'm cold blooded... I need a jacket at anything below 70.

Finally it has a warrenty.  I caught my foot putting it on one day and tore the inner liner.  It allowed the weatherproof coating to wear at that spot (after about 20000 miles) and late this summer the pant began to leak a little.  Harley replaced them without question and the new ones are dry as a bone!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »

Thanks for the input I will soon be investing in a set. I am like you I am cold blooded. Does your heated jacket work well if you take out the liner in the jacket?

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:40:29 AM »

I use the leather version and it is the best gear I've had so far. The combination of fit and function, in cold and warm and dry and rainy weather is quite impressive. Except for short runs in warm weather, no other gear is actually needed.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »

Thanks for the input I will soon be investing in a set. I am like you I am cold blooded. Does your heated jacket work well if you take out the liner in the jacket?

Yes, it works great.  I have both the heated jacket and the heated pants liner.  I remove the FXRG liner in the jacket and use the heated liner instead when it drops below 40.  The fit is about the same.  The pants are roomy enough to wear the pants liner without a problem.  I add the pants liner at about 30 or below.  With both of them and heated gloves, I've ridden for 2 hours at 70 mph in 8 degree tempurature and wasn't cold.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:38:51 PM »

I bought the nylon set. Pants and Jacket. Absolutly love them. It's been in the upper 30's all week first thing in the morning. I ride about fifty miles one way to work. Rode with the heated coat liner and without. Obviously more comfortable with on these cold mornings, but with the regular liner the jacket comes with it was not bad. The pants work great. One afternoon on the way home from work ran into a decent little rain shower and stayed perfectly dry.

So my opinion as of now is that the FXRG is DEFINATLY worth the money. I wish I had bought this stuff last year when I bought a new leather jacket, chaps, and rain suit.  Oh well one can never have too much riding gear I guess

Thanks again for all the great input that is what makes this site top notch!

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

Yes, the Cordura version is waterproof and highly recommended. I have been very satisfied with both pants and jacket for temperatures from  the 40s up to 90 F. Above that, I need a mesh jacket in Texas,

live free and ride safe

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »

Just in case your interested, I found the best price on FXRG stuff from New Rochell HD. FXRG leather jacket is $439.00 plus $20.00 shipping which is 27% off MSRP. :2vrolijk_21: Their number is (914) 632-6743 ask for Annemarie or WWW.NRHD.com

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »

Two weeks now and I absolutly love this stuff, can't imagine being without it now. I think my next purchase is going to be the FXRG gloves with the built in squegee on the index finger, that would be a nice feature for riding in the rain.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »

They are worth the money for sure! :2vrolijk_21: I have the leather version. For me it was a freeby...well sorta. I had over $700 in my Harley Visa reward points and knew exactly how to spend it! One of my best investments! Good Luck and God Bless!

:bananarock:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »

Got a set of the nylon for me and the wife. Just love it! Haven't ridden in the rain yet but have ridden in 37 degrees and stayed warm. High quality gear! Highly recommended!

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »

Good question.  Renea has a set of their breeches.  She wore 'em through rain and was fine.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 05:17:28 AM »

And now ladies and gentlemen, may I present FXRG boots.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

markt

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »

I love my FXRG boots.  They are the only boots I now wear.  Comfortable, waterproof and they wear well.  What more can I say.

...mark

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

I love my FXRG boots.  They are the only boots I now wear.  Comfortable, waterproof and they wear well.  What more can I say.

...mark

I have been curious about those boots, I've always worn tactical Goretex like Bates. They are less than half the price of the FXRG, I just assumed the extra $100 was for the HD stamp on a 100 dollar boot. What do you like about them?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.