Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Is there a "fix" for helmet buffeting?  (Read 19800 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Is there a "fix" for helmet buffeting?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

The new Nolan N-104 is one of the lightest flip face helmets on the market now.  The Schuberth line is also very light, but pricey.  Webbikeworld provides great comparisons on most all helmets out there, including what shape head any given helmet fit's best, weight comparisons, and noise level comparisons (subjective opinions).

On a Batwing fairing, the best choice for a windshield, IMO, is one of the Euro-Curved designs...the curve on the top of the shield effectively lets you have a shield that you can easily look over the top, while providing the wind protection of a shield 2" taller.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »

I'm still waiting for one of the windshield companies to come up with a version that directs air up the inside of the screen to fill the vacuum that forms directly in front of the rider.  I had a screen on a bike years ago that had that feature, and it was amazing how much difference it made in terms of buffeting.
We have that on our Suzuki DL's. It's even more pronounced with a madstat bracket on mine that allows for tilting of the shield and oddly enough, the further the shield is tilted back (to a degree) , the less buffeting. Another benifit is also the lack of air circulating between you and the shield. On the HD the rain (snow and sleet) circulates in that zone to no end and always ends coming up under my flip or full face.
The recurves are the next best thing. Many out there on the market and size will subjective to your own needs. Many of us have a stack of extra shields and maybe you could find someone in your area to loan you one to try out.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »

:drink:
Get up to speed and then hold your left hand out in front of your face and then slowly raise it up.   You will quickly notice just where the wind deflection is happening in your scenario.   A slightly higher shield or one of those with the curved "lip" may be all it takes to solve your problem.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

Thanks everyone for the help/tips.  :drink: I think I may be seeing a recurve windshield out in front of me soon. Hopefully I won't have to go thru too many before I find one my BSR and I both like!  8)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

Try removing the visor on your helmets. i only have the 4" windsheild on ny SESG and taking off the visor worked wonders.

big john

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »

way to go olddog. most half and 3/4 helmets have visors or bills.
this is what makes your head shake. Full face does not have them.
Remove a couple of screws and visor comes off. Problem probably
solved.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »

Try removing the visor on your helmets. i only have the 4" windsheild on ny SESG and taking off the visor worked wonders.
Thanks for the good idea OlDog, but I'm using a 3/4 helmet with a flip-up face shield and no visor.  :P

I would just go back to my old half helmet, but my BSR and I decided that we wanted at least a little extra protection if things go wrong in a bad way. And I wouldn't mind the extra face protection when riding into those summer afternoon thunder/hail storms.  :coolblue: Even the small hail stings pretty good at highway speeds...  :'(
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.