Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Trailer size?  (Read 10347 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: Trailer size?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »

Here's a 6 1/2 X 12 Featherlite aluminum trailer. It works great for one and works well for two.  The 6 1/2 wide is easier to see around with my truck mirrors. I don't have trailer extensions on my mirrors.  Hauls really nice, but mileage drops to 10 mpg.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »

Shows them staggered for two bikes. I have since upgraded to a Condor chock for the single use.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Reds

• Reds
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »

don't cut off your nose to spite your face as they say--give yourself the extra room to haul extra stuff or possibly an extra bike at the last minute ??
Life is not a dress rehearsal !

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:22 AM »

May just throw them in the back of the Freightliner.  We are going to Laughlin and the truck won't be going for conversion until the summer, so will probably use it.  The van body is coming off the truck and going on a tridem trailer for future use behind the motorhome and the two bikes and a Chevy Tracker will be inside.  Won't be running out of power, it has a Cat C15 475hp 1650ft lbs torque.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »

:pepper: Game over Gordy wins  :pepper:
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »

:nixweiss:

Well,  certainly some setups could get by OK,  like a camper top on the back of a pu would likely keep the airflow from stacking up against the front of a flat trailer,  but just a bed cover didn't do it for me and I was using a 4X4 pu with a 350 in it.   It took my normal 16 mpg down to about 9 mpg...........

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 11:46:28 AM »

X3
Thats what I call Styling

Dont know what to tell you about the cover............Should have bought a Ford............... :2vrolijk_21:
lol..just kiddin ya
12 mpg is what I call good gas milage   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:50:22 AM by bigjohn »
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »

Takin my trailer and going home..... :trailer:

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »

For two bikes you need at least a 7 wide, not sure why anyone would want a 14 long unless you had another use for the trailer. 12 long will hold any two dresser's. V-nose is nice if you pull with pick-up or car. Flat frt works fine behind full size SUV's and Motorhomes.
I have a 6x12 Pace Legacy Gold, beautiful trailer, pulls like a champ. But it will only haul 1 bike, that is all I wanted it to do. If you are really serious the best deal is a 8.5 wide, makes it so much easier to load and tie-down. It is not fun even in a 7 wide.
But every time you make a trailer wider you make it heavier and create more frontal area. Weight and frontal area are your worst enemies when towing. Lighter and narrower is better in this instance.
You figure a average 7X12 high end m/c trailer that is 6'8" tall (so it will go in your deed restricted garage) will weigh about 2300#, add two 925# dressers and you have a respectable load. Anytime you tow 2 tons you need good stuff.
IMHO

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »

The picture of truck & trailer featured on Wells Cargo's website is actually my truck and trailer!

http://wellscargo.com/wellscargo-trailers/motorcycle-trailers/me-series/overview/

I took the picture in Utah back in 2005 on a trip out west and sent it to them.  After 10's of 1,000's of miles the trailer is still a dream to pull.  As mentioned in an earlier post it is a 8x12 trailer that holds two Ultras no problem with lots of room to tie down.  You will notice that their trailers (specially designed for motorcycles) are built lower to the ground for easy on/off and has a shorter than normal inside height to cut down on the drag...  Notice that the trailer is no higher than my truck.  I figured that with it only taking 10 minutes to load two Ultras, I'm not inside all that long, but it sure cuts down on the gas used.

Wells builds an excellent trailer IMHO and all I can say is that it will be the only trailer I will ever own.

But boy is that Freightliner ever sweet!

Good luck with your decision.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:50:04 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Ultrasebud

• www.trailersales.net
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 12:13:41 PM »

I'm a trailer dealer (17 years),Haulmark,Pace and TNT,  as well as cvo owner. We have done hundreds of bike trailers, and the guys telling you a 7x12 are correct. 8 wides are great if you don't mind the extra money and width for mirrors/parking etc. The overall width is the same on both as 7' wides use the same axles, but just have a narrower body. V-nose are really nice to tow, unless behind a M/H or camper. If buying new, have the manufacturer do the d-ring set up for you, for the two bikes. They stagger them for easy fit. Don't buy your wheel chocks from them though, get the Condor,Bike Pro or one of the good ones that holds the bike by itself. Also, get a set of good retractable ratchet straps, they only need to be 7-10' long. Get a spare tire. Last thing is a helmet rack with a rod underneath to hang your jacket!. A single axle will do the job, a tandem is a little better towing but not much.
Good luck!

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »

Since we're discussing trailers....I purchased a 7 x 27 v-nose several years ago designed to hold 4 snowmobiles and had intentions of using it for motorcycles to but never needed it cause myself and buds would rather ride. After purchasing the 7x27 I questioned my purchase and thought that maybe I should have bought a car hauler since I sometimes trailer my Mach 1 or Jeep. The only down side I guess would be that the floor hight was taller on the car hauler, the ceiling was taller to (that was a good thing when inside the trailer) which would contribute to decreased gas mailage but versatility of the car hauler would have been great. Any trailer that has a floor to high off the ground may cause the bike frame to drag when loading and unloading due to the steeper angle when transitioning from ramp to trailer floor. Sold the 7x27 when I got out of snowmobiling but sure would like to have another enclosed trailer....decisions decisions, one trailer to do it all may not be optimal but owning two trailers is definitely not an option for me. I think the smallest car hauler that my stang/jeep would fit in is the way I will go. Four guys, four bikes, 10 miles to a gallon same cost as four guys riding and getting 40 miles to a gallon. decisions decisions.....for the time being I'll rent a trailer for the application needed with how seldom I need one.
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

fast96

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Mako Shark
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »

We decided on 7.5 by 18 so we can haul 4 if we need to the girls like chatting when were going down the road. We stagger them when its just Donna and I but its nice to share the road with freinds as well. It was nice coming back from Sturgis last year we got in some heavy rain and just threm them in the trailer and continued our trip. The motorhome gets 8.2 with or without a trailer for whatever reason so size didnt realy matter.  :coolblue:
Any day Racin or Ridin is better than workin!

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »

beautiful setup
Puts a brand new meaning on "trailoring a bike". Its almost as nice as my F-250, hauling cargo trailor and my coleman tent. Of couse you probably have dish tv. All I have is a radio so I guess that makes us about equal..... :bigcry:
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.