Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DALE WALKSLER FROM WHEELS THROUGH TIME MUSEUM  (Read 5091 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
DALE WALKSLER FROM WHEELS THROUGH TIME MUSEUM
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:27:14 AM »

Dale from WTT museum in Maggie Valley was on American Thunder the other night.  He was at a motorcycle auction in Vegas bidding on a 1941 Crocker.  He dropped out of the bidding at $225,000!!  (no, I didn't forget the decimal!).  Bike sold for 230K. 

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: DALE WALKSLER FROM WHEELS THROUGH TIME MUSEUM
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:57 AM »

holy chit!!!!!!
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »

Spendy but how many of them are left in the world today.  To a collector it may well be worth that much but not me.  Now I'm curious going to have to do a search to see what they look like.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »

Here is what I found about the man and the bike.

Over 30 speedway motorcycles were produced before Al Crocker shifted his interest to creating a V-twin road machine that would out perform anything seen on the road. The first V-twin entry for Crocker had a 61 in³ (1,000 cc) "Hemi Head" producing 55-60hp, far exceeding the horse power produced by both the Indian and Harley of the day (38-40hp). Many Crockers were manufactured to order and the largest of them were known to have had a 91+ cubic inch engine (about 1,491 cc), and was the largest-capacity "production" motorcycle until the Yamaha XV1600A took the title in 1998, followed by the Triumph Rocket III, with 2,294 cc (140 in³). When production ceased in 1942, approximately 100 of the V-twins had been produced in all. The remaining inventory of parts were sold in 1947 to Elmo Looper. Many of these parts went into restorations of the surviving examples of which 68 or more still exist today, according to a registry started by Charles "Chuck" Vernon and Johnny Eagles, two members of a group of original Crocker owners in Southern California that have been instrumental in keeping the Crocker legend alive. Although total production of all models is not known it is thought by some to be around 200 units (about 40-50 speedway, 40-50 "Scootabout" scooters, and 100+ V-Twins). Al Crocker also produced an overhead valve conversion kit in the late 1920's for the Indian 101 "Scout".

The proprietor and founder of the company, Albert Crocker, ceased motorcycle production in 1942 when the war effort put a shortage on critical materials. Indian and Harley received contracts with the US Army for military motorcycle production and Crocker got a contract with Douglas Aircraft making aircraft parts. That became a more lucrative business then Al Crocker ever enjoyed with motorcycle manufacturing and in 1942 Crocker Motorcycle became Crocker Manufacturing. Crocker later sold out to a company named Borg Warner. Al Crocker died in 1961. Designer of many of the components, Paul Bigsby, went on to fame as a designer of guitars and particularly of the Bigsby tremolo arm. 1930 National Hillclimb champion Gene Rhyne also worked at the plant, and had the job of plant foreman. (*information via Al Crocker Jr.)

Because of their rarity and quality, Crockers are among the most expensive motorcycles an enthusiast can acquire. At the MidAmerica Auctions[1] motorcycle auction in January 2007 in Las Vegas, a 1941 Crocker big tank motorcycle sold for $230,000. At the Gooding & Co. auction in 2006 in Chandler, a 1931 Crocker 61 sold for $236,500. At the Bonhams & Butterfield 2006 auction in New York, a 1937 Crocker “Hemi-head” V-Twin brough $276,500. At the 2006 auction of Bator International in California a 1939 Crocker 61 cubic-inch side valve model sold for $200,000
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 11:46:15 AM »

Dale owned Dale's Harley Davidson in Mt. Vernon Illinois for many years.  He had the Wheels Through Time museum behind his dealership.  It is a great museum.  Unfortunately for us here in Southern IL he sold his business and moved the museum to North Carolina.  It's still Dale's HD but is owned by Surdyke HD of St. Louis, MO. 
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »

I checked out Dale’s Museum last September. A Hostess at the Museum said that the Crocker pictured was one of machines that Dale ran down “burn out alley” in the Museum.

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 11:49:41 AM »

Burn out alley.

djkak

pcarr1701

• Junior CVO Member
  • The Switchblade Guy

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »

Very cool!  Would love to someday be able to afford a Crocker, but I doubt that will ever happen.  They are very beautiful bikes for the time period.
Patrick Carr
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Wildfire

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 07:23:58 AM »

Very cool!  Would love to someday be able to afford a Crocker, but I doubt that will ever happen.  They are very beautiful bikes for the time period.

The bike looks great and the prices seem to be moving in only one direction i.e. up...

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 10:18:58 PM »

The WTT Museum is a definite must visit if you haven't been there. We'll be going back again. It was absolutely fantastic! I could have stayed there all day....

Thanks again Brian (103thunder)  :) :2vrolijk_21:

Bagger

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »

Renea and I stopped at WTT during our trip to the Smokies over Labor Day last year.  We'd budgeted 45 minutes.  4 hours later................WOW, what an awesome place.  We'll definitely return, as we didn't get to spend nearly enough time there.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »

Last October, when we had the MV GTG, Dale rode the Crocker Hemi down "burnout alley" for the group (somebody correct me if I've got the wrong bike).  It was an awesome experience to have him give us the "guided tour" of his place and talk about the bikes such as the Crocker.  He's got some beautiful machines in his place.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »

Dale from WTT museum in Maggie Valley was on American Thunder the other night.  He was at a motorcycle auction in Vegas bidding on a 1941 Crocker.  He dropped out of the bidding at $225,000!!  (no, I didn't forget the decimal!).  Bike sold for 230K. 

I SEEN THE SHOW ALSO AND I THINK DALE WANTED THAT BIKE PRETTY BAD BUT WAS OUTBIDDED BY A ONLINE BIDDER THAT WANTED IT MORE  :o
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.