Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SW WI-County Road K and Hwy 162 loop  (Read 2067 times)

mfgreen

SW WI-County Road K and Hwy 162 loop
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:43:04 PM »

This is County Road K and Hwy 162 loop which I will run when ever I am short on time and want a good ride.

http://www.wisconsinmotorcycling.com/maps/images/K-162-loop.gif

Route
I will start in La Crosse and take 35 south to County K. From here I can go to 162 and turn right taking me to Stoddard and back home again, or I can continue on K to 162 coming out of Chaseburg which will take me up to 14/61, 2 miles west of Coon Valley. My ordinary run will normally be. K to 162 west to Stoddard, then north on 35 back to K again, taking that to Chaseburg and then follow 162 to 14/61. That's about 45 minutes of riding at a normal pace.

Cautions
This road is normally pretty good. The stretch of 162 between Stoddard and Chaseburg and part of the road from Chaseburg to 14/61 was recently resurfaced. It has these little groves in it that my tires like to ride in, it makes the bike wobble a bit in the corners so be careful of that. there is a hill on County K that may have sand on it during early spring and late fall riding. There are several nice 25-45 MPH corners throughout, but many that are blind so be prepared for oncoming traffic. Also look for school busses and be prepared to stop for them around corners during the school year. This is farming country so watch out for the tractors, and animals in the road. I have seen at least 2 deer and have come across several slow moving tractors.

Law Enforcement
I have only seen one police cruiser on the road in 2 years. If you have a loud exhaust and run the road fast be prepared to see an officer on the second pass. I am pretty sure that people living on the road will call you in. There is your standard Police activity on both 35 and 14/61. State and County like to sit in the weeds and wait for speeders. Watch the small pull off areas along 35 and the side roads and wayside on 14/61.

Fuel and rest stops
You can get fuel in La Crosse, Stoddard, and Coon Valley. there are also rest stops located there as well. there is a small store in Chaseburg, but it always seems to be closed when I go past it. There is a Rest area on 14/61 between the K and La Crosse. If you are heading further South on 35 you will find Fuel in Genoa, also if you are heading East on 14/61 there are Fuel stops in Westby.

Places to Eat
South side La Crosse has
Hardees, Culvers, Taco Bell, South Lanes Pizza, Hungry Peddler, all located along 14/61. Other options are Quillins for sandwiches and food products, Kwik Trip for Snacks and drinks when you fuel up. Stoddard also has at least one small restaurant, also Sylvan Glen can be found on Cnty O just outside of Stoddard, and the same goes for Coon Valley. Both are good from what I have heard. Things To See
There isn't a whole lot to see really. There is a Historical Marker out side of Coon Valley. If you are camping or want to see some wildlife stop at Goose Island Camp Grounds. You may find some deer to watch. Early spring and late fall brings many Eagles to the area, you may spot some here as well as along Hwy 35 which is along the Mississippi river.

Alternate Roads
County Road KK is kind of a bumpy little road but it will take you up to County B which is a road just east of Coon Valley. County O (also connected to B and Y) will take you to Hwy 56 which runs between Genoa and Viroqua. If you continue on County K it will also take you to 56 just outside of Genoa. If you head to Coon Valley from 162 you will see that 162 continues just West of Coon Valley. Follow this to Hwy 33.

Riding Style
K is a fast road, you can run pretty hard here. K can be run at 80 plus with no problems, and very little reason to slow down. 162 has some great corners, but more homes, which means more traffic. Neither road has many Tar snakes right now as they are both fairly new. So you can run the corners hard even on the warmest day, although I would be careful on that fresh tar on the resurfaced 162. We'll see how it looks after winter. Emergency Numbers
All emergencies 911 Of course.
La Crosse Police, 608-785-5952
La Crosse Cnty Police, 608-785-5942
Information Numbers
La Crosse Weather dial 608-782-4500 and then 1100

Bike Repairs & Supplies
All in La Crosse:
Steiger Kawasaki Suzuki KTM 608-788-4514
Two Brothers Honda 608-781-3360
R&J Motorsports (Yamaha) 608-785-1077
La Crosse Harley Davidson 608-783-6112

« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 09:55:36 PM by mfgreen »

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 23 queries.