Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transfer Trip from APP to Boom question  (Read 1350 times)

podman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Transfer Trip from APP to Boom question
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »

All,
I have several trips coming up and I have done all the planning on Trip Planner using my computer, they are in my APP and now downloaded on my BOOM 6.5 radio.  My question is, how do I know it will follow these planned routes, do I have to turn anything off like (fastest, shortest way) or change avoidance?  It's key these trips go as planned, many depending on my leading the pack.
Pod

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Transfer Trip from APP to Boom question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »

I see no one has responded so while I cannot definitively answer your question I'll give you some thoughts based on my knowledge and experience with the Harley GPS in the BoomBox! and my preferred Garmin GPS.

I've not used the Harley Ride Planner.  Did try it several years ago and it was horrible.  I just now accessed it and created a short route and can see that it is much improved.  But what I don't know (and doubt it can be determined) is this:  does the Harley Ride Planner use the very same map database as the BoomBox GPS?  There are several cartographers making map databases and I would think there could be some variation between them.  And even if it is the very same is it the same version as there are updates made continuously.

I tried to use the BoomBox GPS on both my 2017 and now my 2018 but had shall we say less than spectacular results.  Now granted I did use Garmin mapping software (MapSource) to create the routes so I don't know how much impact this may or may not have had.  But the BoomBox GPS was constantly wanting to 'shortcut' me to the next turn.  I verified that the routing preference was set to faster time but rather than keep me on the main road until the next turn it would send me off diagonally to get to the next road . . . oftentimes on some very, very minor roads that were not in good condition. 

And I personally do not like that you cannot select manual route recalculation in case you should deviate from the loaded route.  The BoomBox automatically recalculates and there is no option to deselect that.

I know some folks use the BoomBox GPS successfully (and exclusively) but from what I've read and heard you have to be liberal in putting many, many waypoints along the route to 'force' the BoomBox GPS to follow the route you designed.

For me I much prefer my Garmin Road Tech Zumo 590 for several reasons:

The GPS and Garmin MapSource use the very same (and the same version) of the map database so there should be no conflict there.  Garmin's BaseCamp  routing software does this also.  It is just that I learned many years ago on MapSource and just prefer it.

I can set the Zumo to prompt me to recalculate or not recalculate the route in case I should deviate.

I've designed hundreds of routes - some pretty involved - and find that my Garmin Zumo is very faithful in following what I designed on the computer with MapSource.  I've run into a few little 'glitches' but those are few and far between and sometimes due to 'operator error.'

So I don't know if I've helped or just confused - certainly hope not the latter.

At the very least I'd suggest adding waypoints to help force the BoomBox GPS to follow your designated route.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:58:09 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
Re: Transfer Trip from APP to Boom question
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »

As a Ride Captain for a group of approximately 30 riders I have a fair amount of experience in creating routes and have complete trips for up to 14 days both with the 14-18 Boom System and now the new in the 19's.  I cannot speak to the Harley Ride App as HD has not seen fit to have it work or even in the app store outside of the US.  Anyhow, here is my recommendations and cautions.  I do use the HD Ride Planner and since they updated it, I find it works quite well.
First, I highly recommend you load your routes on a memory stick.  I recommend at least a 16mb stick.
Next, a word of warning!  Just because the routes showed up with the ride title in the Boom Box (loading all of them at once) does not mean the available memory in the Boom Box was capable of downloading your routes in their entirety.  I learned the hard way and upon selecting a day 3 route the entire system froze and there was not a thing I could do about it.  I pulled main fuse etc and natta.  Upon finally getting to a dealer, they had to wipe the entire system and reload it.  Lesson learned!  I now have all my routes on the stick and download them on a daily basis while erasing the previous days.  I now have the GTS on my 19 but still do this.  It only takes a few minutes to load a route.  If the app allows you to do a similar method, that is my suggestion.
Lastly, waypoints, waypoints, waypoints.  Can't be any clearer.  If you have any expectation of the bike gps following the route you plotted on your computer you cannot use enough waypoints.  I place a waypoint just past every turn on my routes.  You must also take the time when plotting to zoom in and ensure you are putting the waypoint actually on the road.  Again lesson learned, that my waypoint was in a field with the cattle because under normal view on the ride planner it looked on the road but when zoomed in it was off the road.  Waypoints use memory in the GPS and thus another reason I download daily.
My settings are generally, avoid highways (if you do have a highway plotted on your route it will still follow it.  Waypoints!), fastest, avoid gravel roads.  The rest of them are up to you but most of the settings are there for the person who just puts in an address and wants the bike to take them there so you are telling the GPS when it is internally building the route what to avoid.  If you are building an entire route with lots and lots of waypoints these avoidances really don't come into play.  I will even throw a waypoint in every 20 miles or so on a road you are going to be travelling for a long distance.  This forces the GPS to follow "your" route not its.
Hope this helped, and good luck!

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.