Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drive belt age to replace.  (Read 960 times)

Farm boy

Drive belt age to replace.
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:00:28 AM »

Hello all. I have an 03 serk. Do the drive belts have an "age" at which they should be replaced ? Backstory: The guy I bought it from, with 7k mi on it, was a "car guy". He loaded the bike in the trailer with his show cars. He and his wife used it as a "pit bike" at cars shows. It is now 16yrs old, with 10k miles on it. Belt doesn't show signs on negative wear, just old. Do they dry rot ?
A little guidance would be appreciated.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Drive belt age to replace.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:01:40 AM »

I have an 04 w/ 53k on original belt.  You’ll likely get opinions on both sides but I don’t plan to change mine until it breaks. I inspect it very closely at every 5k service and before any trips. It looks like a giant pain to change it (and likely expensive) plus H-D makes a temporary belt kit that’ll get you home.

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »

Never had a drive belt fail unless it got cut by something.  I have lost a couple primary belts fail. Everyone of the primaries failed going into second going across an intersection after a couple jack by stripping the teeth off the belt. ;)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »

A friend of mine has an `03 C.V.O. Road King purchased used with 2100 miles, currently today the bike ridden mostly 2 up it has over 105 k miles with the original drive belt.

Farm boy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »

Sounds good  :2vrolijk_21:
Thank you all :pepper:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »

The main takeaway here is the importance of inspecting the belt and sprockets for damage, and not just going by age or mileage.  The belts, especially the older wider ones, are extremely tough but they can be cut by debris.  Make it part of your maintenance program to inspect the belt and sprockets every time you change the fluids.  Check the shop manual for descriptions and pictures of acceptable and not acceptable wear and damage.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Farm boy

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:08:16 PM »

I do inspect it as part of my regular maintenance.  It looks good,  but I am going to remove the oil pan for cleaning , due to cam chain tensioner shoe problems. If there is an age issue,  wanted to get it taken care of now.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.