Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dang Nab Weather  (Read 1818 times)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Dang Nab Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »

Ok, well I would start with the heated jacket liner. For me when that thing starts warming up you forget about the rest of your body being cold. At least that is how it is for me. Especially when I remember riding in 20 degree weather as a young kid without any good gear or even gloves but still I rode. To me it's like throwing a blanket in the dryer when you have the flu and wrapping it around you.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »

I will also say if the temps are real cold and you ride for say an hour or more, when you come to a stop better pump your legs so your one foot won't be to numb to hold you up. Happened to me one time only and almost dropped it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »

This is something I have yet to invest in as most of the time once it's below 32* around here I have snow. But I just might need to get some and try it out. Could extend my riding time a month or so.

While some of our group use heated gear, I've never invested in those items.  I'm not saying it's not a good idea but I've always found good, well insulated layer items that fit the bill very nicely for me.  Harley had a great jacket (that I recently sold) that I used for temps below 35-40 or so on long rides using the layering method.  Even in extreme cold (say 25-32 for a good day-long ride), the layering works for me.  Rode to Houston a couple years back in November (about 2,000 miles round trip) and it was in the 35-45 range down, 35-60 range home and I was fine.  My hands are the only thing that suffers in any cool/cold weather and without the heated grips and now that I'm getting a bit older, I would probably have to invest in some kind of heated glove.  Keeping the core warm is the main thing and I've accomplished that without electric to this point.

The last couple of years I've invested in the Duluth Trading company Alaskan Hard Gear.  Dang, that stuff is purt-near weather proof.  I used it (before all the heart stuff) last year for a good 25-35 degree riding day and it was awesome...again using layers.

For your leg issues, Rooster is probably right for you to invest in the heated pants/chaps.

:jack: By the way, I haven't stated this yet but thank you for your service and sacrifice for this country and in not letting the bumps in life keep you from the sport of motorcycling.  Was at Roads of Atlanta a few years ago...guy on a older model Electra Glide with a HD sidecar...Semper Fi sticker on the sidecar.  He had hand controls for all the foot operations, wheelchair in the sidecar.  He parked, maneuvered the wheelchair in place, hopped right on it and rolled off to watch the racing.  I will NEVER forget that and use it from time to time in keeping me motivated when I don't want to do something...Sorry for the thread jack, just wanted to thank you...keep it between the ditches... :bananarock:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:14:10 AM by Haird »

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 01:17:39 PM »

I've got a Jeep club meeting tomorrow night and keep going back and forth on riding my bike or just wimping out and driving my truck. I met another amputee a few weeks ago who is an above knee and he rides a trike. He wants to try and get in a few more rides before winter sets in. So I'll be going on a few more rides I hope. As I said I have some insulated riding gear but my gloves are lacking but I think I am going to try some snowmobile gloves and see how they do.

If I get heated gear it won't be until next season. I have got other things I want to spend money on right now.

Safe riding to everyone and hope it is a mild winter for everyone.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »

Once you do buy your heated gear you're going to kick yourself for not buying it sooner. For now just get a good quality jacket liner, not a vest, and a dual wireless/bluetooth controller. My preference is Gerbing. It will be money very well spent!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 5.175 seconds with 22 queries.