Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Parking the bike for the last time  (Read 3199 times)

LAZine

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Parking the bike for the last time
« on: November 01, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »

For many years, my husband and I have been riders. Sometimes two up, sometimes on two separate bikes, but mostly two up. Recently, a dear friend was involved in a motorcycle crash and sustained severe injuries. That incident has us rethinking our riding.

I have always had the mindset that an accident that left me handicapped could, but wouldn’t happen to me. After all, I am well trained. I practice lots. I don’t ride at night. I don’t ride after drinking. So many reasons why I felt like an accident would not happen to me. Well, best I can tell, our dear friend was well trained, well practiced, wasn’t riding at night, and hadn’t drank any alcohol. Yet it happened to him.

We have a handicapped son who depends on us. If we were not here for him, (we eventually will not be, but hopefully in many years) what would he do? For that reason, the accident has shaken us up, and we have decided that riding is no longer for us. We have parked the bike for the last time. It is true that even looking at the bike provokes the want to ride. But truly, it isn’t for us any longer.

For those that have made this decision, any advice, opinions, or thoughts? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Parking the bike for the last time
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 01:46:52 PM »

I understand how you and your husband feel.
I have been waffling between buying another bike or trike and just giving up riding all together. As much as I love to ride I don't seem to have that much time anymore and the negatives seem to out-way the joy at times. Yet the thought of not riding anymore is a depressing thought.
I accept my declining mobility and also understand family depends on me being active and able to help them when needed. I can't do that if I'm recovering from injures from some accident not my fault such as one caused by an inattentive driver running into me.
I don't know if there is an easy decision and no matter which way you go you will probably second guess yourself.  :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »

Well said VaEagle.  Am not to that point - yet - but someday giving up 2 wheels becomes a necessity if we live that long.  Rode a lot when younger, didn't worry much at all at the first about wrecks, etc.  Then a younger friend lost an eye in a bike race.  Shortly before that watched another fellow lose his life in a freak accident - all his fault.  Was too young for either to have the impact on me that it would now, but we did pretend to be a little more cautious when we rode after that. Sort of...

Have lost so many friends to bike wrecks I rarely dwell on it, but do think about them fondly at times. Seems to be more as each year passes and most were not their fault.  Usually it's a driver making a left turn in front of them or running a stop sign, effect is still the same.  Another funeral.  Several friends gone from single bike wrecks - off the road for no apparent reason.  Suppose avoiding an animal or ?? but nobody knows why. Couple of friends hurt badly in bike wrecks last month - not their fault. Bikes totaled.

Understand where you are coming from. No wisdom here, just know there are a lot of folks out there who used to ride, quit for one reason or another, & most all miss it.  Had a very nice older fellow walk up to me at a gas station last week & tell me about bikes he rode, places he went, & the fun he had when he rode.  Happens to me occasionally & always a pleasant conversation.  You can see it in their eyes - that happiness of things that once were that brought them joy, camaraderie, and a fun way to see the world.

We know when it's time to give some things up, sounds like you have made that decision.  Hope you have a lot of happy memories & maybe sometime you will see a biker somewhere & tell them about your bike riding days.  One chapter closes, another one opens.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »

Sorry for your friend. We all know someone. Cashing out before your time....your call. As for this site, this is one of the worst post ever. We dont need reminded or even need to discuss taxes and death.

Advise, find a new expensive hobby with all the money your saving. Dont let it involve speed, gasoline, roadways, travel of any sort, beer, buddies and scantily clad women so your not reminded of us you left behind. We will be hanging our asses out and riding by, you might see us. Sometimes in the evening in the distance you might even hear one of us risking it all, throttle on...

Good luck and God bless everyone.
Will

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »

I have heard all of the excuses why people do not ride. Whether two up with meor on their own bike. Most notably, "you know, I knew a person killed on a motorcycle"

To me that is lame. I too have lost a friend, co worker and even a family member while they were riding?

I can safely say we all have a MUCH longer list of people we knew that were killed in an automobile crash, yet we climb into our cars and truck everyday. We load up our children, our parents, our friends, co workers, and our beloved pets and put them, and us, in harms way.

I live my life believing that " when it is my time, it will be my time". No matter what I am doing. Life is meant to be enjoyed, and I enjoy riding. If I die while riding, everyone will know that I died doing what I love.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »

while that is all true, what would be a minor accident in a car or truck could be catastrophic on a motorcycle.  what if the op were involved in an accident and was not killed, but severely impaired?  brain damage?  loss of limb?  that would suck for almost anyone, but with a special needs child thrown in the mix...  nah, I fully support the op.  I think he is making a very well informed, and thought out decision.  one which we all have to face at some point in time.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 04:12:55 PM »

All good points and good discussion.  It is a personal decision.  We'll all stop riding at some point, for a number of (valid) reasons.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »

I had a crash  three years ago at 65 years old. A car ran into me. It took me 6 months to make a decision on what to do. The bike was a total loss. I decided to get another bike and now at almost 69 I believe it was the right decision. I have just over 500.000 miles in 25 years. Started riding late in life as my last wife did not like to ride. Best decision ever to dump her....
Bill

LAZine

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

while that is all true, what would be a minor accident in a car or truck could be catastrophic on a motorcycle.  what if the op were involved in an accident and was not killed, but severely impaired?  brain damage?  loss of limb?  that would suck for almost anyone, but with a special needs child thrown in the mix...  nah, I fully support the op.  I think he is making a very well informed, and thought out decision.  one which we all have to face at some point in time.

In many ways, I’m not afraid of death on a motorcycle. I am most concerned with an injury such that I am alive but severely handicapped with brain damage, etc. Essentially a vegetable.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »

LAZine, I completely understand your apprehension.  And of course only your and your husband can make the final decision.  I never gave it all that much thought in my younger years (I'm 74 years young now!) as I thought I was invincible.  But after a few incidents I realize that I am not and I too have wondered 'is it time.'  But my wife and I (especially her) have decided that too very much of our social life and activities are just too intertwined with motorcycling to give it up entirely.  So for the time being we are keeping on keeping on.

God bless and best wishes for whatever your ultimate decision is.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 08:51:28 PM »

Had a serious health issue, added to my list of things I need to avoid or risk really big issues. Decided to hang it up, sold my Harley Limited.

Wife noticed I was not my normal self, felt I was even depressed. Told me to buy another bike If I wanted but to buy one that would be easier on the old body.

Bought a BMW K1600B or Bagger because it was lighter, smoother and had reverse. All things that reduced chances of pulling anything internal.

Bottom line, wife and I feel it's better to take my chances enjoying life than being miserable but safer. If something happens to me, so be it, wife and I accept that risk for the reward.

Not knocking your decision. That's a personal thing. Wishing you the best, just sharing my choice.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »

March 9th 2017 my wife went down on her bike.  I never figured it would happen to her, she was a motorcycle safety instructor for a few years.  She was a smart and skilled rider, an all the gear all the time rider.

An 18 wheeler had passed her on I-75, then at a safe distance ahead of her pulled back in to the right lane.  A moment later the driveshaft came out from under the truck.  My wife could not go left as a car was next to her, she hit the drive shaft square at 70 mph.  Needless to say it broke her front rim, would not roll though the forks.  Bent the forks too.  She went down, and slide a long way on the interstate. 

She ended up with a broken left wrist from the handlebar impact, 3 broken ribs on the left side, and broken left collar bone, and a sprained right ankle.  No road rash, lots of helmet and leather rash.

Day after she got out of the hospital she saw her totaled bike, saw the rim could not roll, and I could put my hand between the tire and rim on the rear, she said "no one could have rode that out could they"  I replied no, it will not roll.  She then said " I want a new bike, exactly like this one.

I was shocked.  I am not sure I would have got back on a bike after that, and I have been riding much longer than her.  She has rode over 50K miles since the wreck. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »

March 9th 2017 my wife went down on her bike.  I never figured it would happen to her, she was a motorcycle safety instructor for a few years.  She was a smart and skilled rider, an all the gear all the time rider.

An 18 wheeler had passed her on I-75, then at a safe distance ahead of her pulled back in to the right lane.  A moment later the driveshaft came out from under the truck.  My wife could not go left as a car was next to her, she hit the drive shaft square at 70 mph.  Needless to say it broke her front rim, would not roll though the forks.  Bent the forks too.  She went down, and slide a long way on the interstate. 

She ended up with a broken left wrist from the handlebar impact, 3 broken ribs on the left side, and broken left collar bone, and a sprained right ankle.  No road rash, lots of helmet and leather rash.

Day after she got out of the hospital she saw her totaled bike, saw the rim could not roll, and I could put my hand between the tire and rim on the rear, she said "no one could have rode that out could they"  I replied no, it will not roll.  She then said " I want a new bike, exactly like this one.

I was shocked.  I am not sure I would have got back on a bike after that, and I have been riding much longer than her.  She has rode over 50K miles since the wreck.
You have a great catch sir! Happy for both of you!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 11:01:58 PM »

Please do not construe my previous post as disagreeing with your decision. I do not have a wife or kids so my decisions affect only me. I do not wear a skid lid for the reason that if I am in a wreck that a brain bucket saved my life, I doubt the rest of my body would be worth living life. I applaud you for the decision and especially for putting your child first. You sound like awesome parents.

Enjoy your life, No matter how many wheels you straddle!
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 11:33:56 PM »

Quote  " March 9th 2017 my wife went down on her bike.  I never figured it would happen to her, she was a motorcycle safety instructor for a few years.  She was a smart and skilled rider, an all the gear all the time rider."

Dave I remember reading this when first posted and very happy your wife was riding with skill and protective gear.
 Many of us think about when we will need to make the decision to no longer ride.
For me its not any time soon. My wife, well we will see with next riding season.
We have had many wrecks here this year involving bikes, many have been from the crotch rocket line. Racing their shadow or buddy. High percentage didn't make it.
But we also had a lady that recently fell out of a vehicle she was riding in, and died do to head trauma.  Maybe she didn't get the door closed who knows.
People get hit in crosswalks around here. Things happen.
The op made a decision to stop riding  and for her it's the right one. I support that.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 24 queries.