Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: 2019 cvo sumping  (Read 32624 times)

Bob Coco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Re: 2019 cvo sumping
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2019, 08:06:58 PM »

I don't have a dog in this race, I own one of the last TCs made,  but I will use the information/stories in threads like this to make good choices when time comes for me to buy. sorry to those that got fauked on the M8.... and best wishes to those that didn't      :nixweiss:

Fast Freddy, The only reason I still have some sanity is because I still have 2 2016 Roadglides.   I have a Red CVO Ultra and a Black Quartz Special that's punched to 124 C.I. making big power.  My Ultra I bought after my 17 sumped afew times.  I saw it sitting on the showroom floor next to an 18 CVO Limited and without a single hesitation I bought it knowing it was the last twin cam CVO Ultra RoadGlide I would probably see that was new. 

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »

Not in particular response to Bob Coco's discussions but just getting onto the tail end of this discussion.

As a point of interest.

A precedent has already been made for sumping about 65 years ago, it was called over oiling then. The bike was a Panther 120. See this link:  https://sump-publishing.co.uk/panther.htm
The "sump-publishing" is entirely coincidental but apt at this moment in time..

If you do not want to read the article this is an extract that refers to the issue and the resolution:

"One major problem of the Model 120 was over-oiling. Panther’s long established oil-scavenge system incorporates a primitive, but (until the Model 120) effective knife-edge weir in which the flywheels scoop oil from the engine cases into the integral oil tank (wedge shaped chamber forward of the timing chest). The clearance is only 60 thousandths of an inch."

Reading the many "sumping" posts one of the solutions presented is in effect a scrapper forming a weir, which coincidently has a clearance of 0.060" - same as the above solution. small world isn't it.

Seems like all the high falutin engineers at Harley need to relate to history to solve problems that have already been encountered by others. I bet the Panther solution was developed by a fella with a pencil and a bit of paper in a workshop, maybe discussing it with a colleague. How many "Engineers" have Harley had looking at the issue an still not resolved it.

JohnT

mark

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »

johnmowcop, I read you post and I agree.  I also believe HD engineers and mgmt know what the problem is.  However, to recall every M8, remove the engine, disassemble, install a fix, reassemble, and reinstall the engine, would be so costly & time consuming as to tank HD stock even further - perhaps bankrupting the MoCo.  So, what we've seen so far are easy, less costly, "solutions," hoping one eventually counters the sumping problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »

johnmowcop, I read you post and I agree.  I also believe HD engineers and mgmt know what the problem is.  However, to recall every M8, remove the engine, disassemble, install a fix, reassemble, and reinstall the engine, would be so costly & time consuming as to tank HD stock even further - perhaps bankrupting the MoCo.  So, what we've seen so far are easy, less costly, "solutions," hoping one eventually counters the sumping problem.

EXACTLY!, although I'm not as confident in the abilities of Harley's own engineers as you might be.  But I'm sure they have engineering consultants who could figure out the root cause, so I agree they very likely know the real root cause of the problem and they also won't fix that root cause any time soon due to the costs involved.  Band-Aids are the most you will see, and those band-aids will reduce the failure rate somewhat but will not eliminate the failures completely.  When they get a chance to make a design change they can claim has nothing to do with sumping, they will slip in a real fix.  I'm not just making this up btw, I've seen it done not only by H-D but by auto companies in the past.  The aftermarket has already identified a problem related to the new cases, similar to what is mentioned in johnmowcop's post.  There's a video around here showing exactly what they found and the proposed fix.  Looks and sounds reasonable to me, at least a lot more than the bogus oil pump housing seal Harley put out.

Only time will tell, I doubt anyone in the know at Harley will ever admit the real problem.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »

Agree, as long as the vast majority don't sump we'll likely never see a drastic design change.  Certainly not any sort of voluntary recall or update on the MoCo's dime.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2019, 05:41:37 PM »

There's a video around here showing exactly what they found and the proposed fix.  Looks and sounds reasonable to me, at least a lot more than the bogus oil pump housing seal Harley put out.

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2019, 05:16:31 AM »

C'mon its tradition its a Harley!
Didn't they swap out all 1930 engine lower ends, bad vibes
1936 Knuck launch delayed due to over oiling top end

funny with time all these are noted , but bikes reach a classic revered status

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2019, 09:32:56 AM »

Yes that's the one I referred too. 0.060" distance to scraper from flywheel circumference.

JohnT

J.D.

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2019, 10:03:39 AM »

Modern synthetic 20w-50 is an interesting fluid.  It's heavy like gear oil.  It's sticky, clingy, and "climbs" on moving parts.  Wonder if these fluid characteristics are part of the issue.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »

Modern synthetic 20w-50 is an interesting fluid.  It's heavy like gear oil.  It's sticky, clingy, and "climbs" on moving parts.  Wonder if these fluid characteristics are part of the issue.

I run the exact same oil (Syn3) in my modified 110 TC that makes 123/123, as I did in my stage IV M8 117. Both are factory recommended and were delivered from the factory with Syn3.

The 110 has never sumped in 70,000 hard ridden miles. The Stage IV M8 117 Stage IV sumped 3 engines in less than 10,000 miles with the exact same riding style.

The synthetic oil is unrelated to sumping in the M8 other than the fact that, under the right conditions, there’s more oil in the crankcase than the engine designers planned.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:28:53 PM by Heatwave »

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »

I'm glad to see a video I originally posted before last Thanksgiving is finally getting noticed, lol. I guess you don't want to attempt that one until your warranty is up however. We all know who the MOCO will blame for any other issues that may arise after installing their scraper if the warranty is still intact. As usual, leave it to the aftermarket/speed shops to fix HD's shortcomings.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2019, 11:49:30 AM »

Just out of curiosity has anyone experienced sumping using any oil other than Syn 3? I use Mobile 1 V Twin. Anyone sump using that?
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »

Just out of curiosity has anyone experienced sumping using any oil other than Syn 3? I use Mobile 1 V Twin. Anyone sump using that?
Amsoil for me but don't think that has anything to do with it. Been using it for years
Alan

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »

The likelyhood of the brand of oil being used causing the sumping is about as common as hens teeth...

J.D.

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »

Not saying the oil or brand of oil is causing the issue as Evos and Twin Cams use the same oil, but oil doesn't simply drain through tiny crevices and move like water.  Its stickiness and surface tension can enable it to do some interesting things inside a running engine.  Just thinking out loud so to speak; perhaps HD over simplified things.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.