Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: 2019 cvo sumping  (Read 32259 times)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: 2019 cvo sumping
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »

if a sump is designed properly it should be flooded at its pickup...  :nixweiss:  and if sump area is under vacuum/pressure that the pump cant over come,   :nixweiss:  is this the cause  :nixweiss:   so if you vent crank case to atmosphere would this end the issue, sorry but im not the sharpest pencil in the pack just asking  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Tobias7000

• Burgundy Sun Glow Fade
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2018 Limited - Burgundy Sun Glow Fade
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2019, 02:06:50 PM »

if a sump is designed properly it should be flooded at its pickup...  :nixweiss:  and if sump area is under vacuum/pressure that the pump cant over come,   :nixweiss:  is this the cause  :nixweiss:   so if you vent crank case to atmosphere would this end the issue, sorry but im not the sharpest pencil in the pack just asking  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
I’ve heard running with the dipstick lose improves venting and significantly reduces chances to sump.  Four articles in a series in American Iron magazine explored this. I’ll have to look up which months these were published if anyone’s interested.  Anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tobias
==============
No mods yet to my new 2018 CVO

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »

I’ve heard running with the dipstick lose improves venting and significantly reduces chances to sump.  Four articles in a series in American Iron magazine explored this. I’ll have to look up which months these were published if anyone’s interested.  Anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only thing that will do is vent the oil pan, not the crankcase.  The crankcase is already vented through the standard breather system.  At this point in time I've seen nothing that indicates the problem is caused by a pressure build-up in the crankcase or the oil pan.  A pressure build-up in the crankcase wouldn't cause sumping, it would actually help make the oil flow to the scavenge side of the pump.  The thing that did change for the M8 is the design of the engine cases and the location of the oil pickup hole in the sump, and that is where I believe the problem was created.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:59 AM »

The only thing that will do is vent the oil pan, not the crankcase.  The crankcase is already vented through the standard breather system.  At this point in time I've seen nothing that indicates the problem is caused by a pressure build-up in the crankcase or the oil pan.  A pressure build-up in the crankcase wouldn't cause sumping, it would actually help make the oil flow to the scavenge side of the pump.  The thing that did change for the M8 is the design of the engine cases and the location of the oil pickup hole in the sump, and that is where I believe the problem was created.

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry,
There is a vent between the crankcase and the oil tank. If my memory serves me well, its  a lot larger than the 2 going to the air cleaner.  If I had a sumper, I would be willing to try it.  Star Racing seems to believe the sumping issue stems from ring seal. Seems like the guys offering these 124 an128 kits aren’t seeing the sumping on their builds.... or at least the owners are being extremely quiet.

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

Tobias7000

• Burgundy Sun Glow Fade
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2019, 11:39:12 PM »

A quick teaser on the articles I mentioned previously.  See the attached image.
Tobias
==============

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2019, 06:44:04 AM »

Is there a link to the full article?

Tobias7000

• Burgundy Sun Glow Fade
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2019, 05:11:41 AM »

Is there a link to the full article?

No link I know of.  I have a paid electronic subscription through my iPad.  It’s not that expensive and you can purchase back issues.  You want issues 365 through 368 to get the full analysis of this Sumping situation.  A very well written set of articles IMHO.

https://www.aimag.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/subscription/AIM.html

Once you subscribe you download the ZINIO app and you can get your digital issues delivered that way. 

Tobias
==============

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2019, 03:05:28 AM »

Well after reading this thread I am still on the fence. I have a Mako sitting at the Dealership waiting on me to pick it up. After reading all of this I'm not so sure now. I am also worried about the Financial well being of the Motor Company. They are in trouble and I think the release of the Live Wire might be the nail in the coffin. I absolutely love the color and the ride of the new bike and I was going to do the S&S 124 kit after I got 1000 miles on the motor. Decisions Decisions Decisions!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »

Well after reading this thread I am still on the fence. I have a Mako sitting at the Dealership waiting on me to pick it up. After reading all of this I'm not so sure now. I am also worried about the Financial well being of the Motor Company. They are in trouble and I think the release of the Live Wire might be the nail in the coffin. I absolutely love the color and the ride of the new bike and I was going to do the S&S 124 kit after I got 1000 miles on the motor. Decisions Decisions Decisions!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Im on my 3rd CVO M8.  The 17 CVO Street Glide I put 21500 miles on trouble free, the 18 CVO road glide I put 24750 trouble free milers on and now the 19 CVO Road Glide.

The 117 is stronger than the 114, much stronger than 3" would let you believe.  It has to do with a better cam.

Can it sump, yes they can.  My 18 might have once as it lost power, slowed down and cruised for a bit, and all was normal.  I am hoping the new pump, back plate and seal fixes the sumping issue. 

I am going to ride this one a year then most likely build the motor.  If it sumps, which I do not think it will, T-man has one fix for it and S&S has a different fix.

I like the feel of the M8 better than the TC.  Power comes on earlier, and smoother.  I still have two TC bikes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

doitda

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »

Im on my 3rd CVO M8.  The 17 CVO Street Glide I put 21500 miles on trouble free, the 18 CVO road glide I put 24750 trouble free milers on and now the 19 CVO Road Glide.

The 117 is stronger than the 114, much stronger than 3" would let you believe.  It has to do with a better cam.

Can it sump, yes they can.  My 18 might have once as it lost power, slowed down and cruised for a bit, and all was normal.  I am hoping the new pump, back plate and seal fixes the sumping issue. 

I am going to ride this one a year then most likely build the motor.  If it sumps, which I do not think it will, T-man has one fix for it and S&S has a different fix.

I like the feel of the M8 better than the TC.  Power comes on earlier, and smoother.  I still have two TC bikes.

"the new pump, back plate and seal"
Just getting up to speed after purchasing a '19 CVO SG last week. Are those thing you added, or the changes to the new '19 year model engines?

Thanks,
Chris

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2019, 10:09:24 PM »

"the new pump, back plate and seal"
Just getting up to speed after purchasing a '19 CVO SG last week. Are those thing you added, or the changes to the new '19 year model engines?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                that is a change HD has done to 'fix' the sump issue

Thanks,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:13:48 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

doitda

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2019, 10:39:41 PM »

Roger that, thanks for the info.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2019, 08:41:53 AM »

Dave thank for your input. After much thought and a lot of research I am going to take delivery of the bike. I am also going to leave it stock for a few months and most likely won't put very many miles on it. After I break 1K I am going to pull the motor apart and do a mild build with S&S parts. I might even take it to 124 or 131 CI. I liked the Road Glide when I rode it but I like the protection from the elements better on my Limited. Looking forward to finally buying an M8.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

joe98

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »

Dave thank for your input. After much thought and a lot of research I am going to take delivery of the bike. I am also going to leave it stock for a few months and most likely won't put very many miles on it. After I break 1K I am going to pull the motor apart and do a mild build with S&S parts. I might even take it to 124 or 131 CI. I liked the Road Glide when I rode it but I like the protection from the elements better on my Limited. Looking forward to finally buying an M8.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Good for you.... congrats on the new bike.  Must say they’re very sharp looking bikes !
  As far as sumping goes.... ride it , when it fails;  warranty.  Then build a motor to your liking.  Life’s too short.   Just my 2 cents...

Joe

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I like the Handling both high speed and parking lot speed of the Road Glide much better than the bat wing.  That said your are correct, the Limited offers much more protection from the elements.  Now my CVO Road Glide Ultra I had for two year, protection from the elements was close to a limited, but still not quite as good.  That said I have done many 1000 mile days on a CVO Road Glide.  Finding the right windshield is a big help.

I like your plan with the engine.  I'm gathering parts now.  However I will wait until winter to go into the motor.  I want at least one 6000 mile trip on the bike before I go into it.  It will most likely be a 128, or a Suburban Speed 130, which will be released soon.  Of course I expect Fuel moto to follow suit shortly after.  I am wanting to see the kits offer a little more compression than they are right now.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 26 queries.